Afghan Heroes Ride, Sunday 14 March

Call me sceptical, but I'm willing to bet the residents of Wootton Bassett and the Police aren't going to be that happy with 1000+ bikes roaring through their little town on a Sunday.

Very admirable motives and a nice gesture.

Only thing that springs to my mind are the residents of Wootton Bassett, they have their town used as a focal point for people paying their respect when the fallen are repatriated into the UK. Which must cause them some disruption to their normal lives. It seems that a 1000 bikes riding through their town on Mothers Day, for what I'm sure is a fine cause, is only adding to the disruption they deal with.

Just a thought :)

Edit: Slowdown beat me to it.

I'm not sure the non biking public understand bikers.

Any more than 10 bikes and they'll think a chapter of the Hells Angels has ridden into town intent on stealing their virgin daughters - or sons:ymca

Send the money and let the Mums in WB have a nice, quiet, Sunday.

Afgan Heroes?
Is this in aid of the 99.95% (28,381,000) of Afgans who are not a member of the Taliban (10-15,000) ?

Afgan Heroes?
Is this in aid of the 99.95% (28,381,000) of Afgans who are not a member of the Taliban (10-15,000) ?

If you click on the link it says " SUPPORTING BRITISH FORCES IN AFGHANISTAN" so it's probably "in aid" of the British Forces in Afghanistan.

Well if it's anything like last years Ride to the Wall, the public will love it and it was a fantastic experience to be part of too!

Would love to do it but Mothers Day probably prevents me doing it sadly.

Here's a thought, why not stay at home and send the money you would spend on petrol in to the charity instead???

Whilst you're sat at home why not make up a few bundles of old bike mags/FHM stuff like that and post it to a soldier on Operation Herrick???

That would do something to help our people in Afghanistan, give the Wootton Bassett locals a break and stop the media/politicians/nutters 'hijacking' the event to advance their own agendas.

Result :)

Here's another thought. I'm ex-Army, and our son has done a tour of Bosnia, two in Iraq and two in Afghanistan. We've done the food parcel/magazine route, we are immensely proud of him, and we intend to go on the ride. I won't be 'roaring' down Wotton Basset High Street, Pan Europeans don't roar, but I and a thousand other riders will do one more little bit to keep the presence of our forces in Afghanistan in the forefront of the public's minds. OK? :eek

The Ride To The Wall is indeed an amazing event and I'm certain the good people of Wootton Bassett will have no problem with the first annual Ride To Wootton Bassett.

Attachments

• P1000291.jpg
    P1000291.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 748
Here's another thought. I'm ex-Army, and our son has done a tour of Bosnia, two in Iraq and two in Afghanistan. We've done the food parcel/magazine route, we are immensely proud of him, and we intend to go on the ride. I won't be 'roaring' down Wotton Basset High Street, Pan Europeans don't roar, but I and a thousand other riders will do one more little bit to keep the presence of our forces in Afghanistan in the forefront of the public's minds. OK? :eek

Well that makes perfect sense - safe ride to you :thumb2

Btw, I'm ex-RAF, my brother is ex-RAF (though he's just joined TA AAC), my late Dad was ex-Scots DG and my cousin is REME. Put together we've been on various tours in North Africa, Cyprus, Northern Ireland, the Falklands, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm sure you've been to many of the same places too.

It seems to me Wootton Bassett residents would prefer to get on with things in their own quiet way. Don't forget, this is a small town that didn't want to be renamed 'Royal Wootton Bassett', be awarded the GC or have their High Street renamed... http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/16/wootton-bassett-letter.

I wouldn't fancy working in Lyneham Guardroom on the day either :eek:

and just remember who you are fighting / dieing for :augie

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8sEGwTxfDo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8sEGwTxfDo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Guard duty

Well that makes perfect sense - safe ride to you :thumb2

Btw, I'm ex-RAF, my brother is ex-RAF (though he's just joined TA AAC), my late Dad was ex-Scots DG and my cousin is REME. Put together we've been on various tours in North Africa, Cyprus, Northern Ireland, the Falklands, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm sure you've been to many of the same places too.

It seems to me Wootton Bassett residents would prefer to get on with things in their own quiet way. Don't forget, this is a small town that didn't want to be renamed 'Royal Wootton Bassett', be awarded the GC or have their High Street renamed... http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/16/wootton-bassett-letter.

I wouldn't fancy working in Lyneham Guardroom on the day either :eek:
It's not drawing guard duty that you need to worry about, it's all those cookie boys pouring cups of minging tea and breaking out the Naafi number 3's.
I will be going on the ride as my nephew and godson is soon back out there for his second tour. I'm sure that the good people of W/B will come out just to watch the bikes roll through the town.
Not an ex squaddie or crabfat but an ex matelot t**t:beerjug:

Some random thoughts from the vicarage on all of this..

The event is being driven by emotion, whether this is right or wrong is immaterial. It's also not being organised by Afghan Heroes, but started on Facebook by a teenager & her fella with a view to raising money for the Afghan Heroes charity.

Afghan Heroes webpage has a registration form that currently shows in excess of 2500 bikes and around 1000 more people.

The charge will be a fiver for a wristband, that you have to pay on the day at the Leigh Delamere M4 services start.

If you simply donate via the Afghan Heroes website, a third party collection site kicks in to accept your money. In the T&C (at number 6.4 I think) there is a sentence to the effect that once you've donated, should the organisers wish to donate your money elswhere, you accept that they are free to do so without telling you or asking your permission.

So...how many bikes can Leigh delamere hold? Do they know? Who is organising this event & where is the culpability for catastrophe, bearing in mind its accessed by a motorway?

Who is going to take your money & what are the security arrangements given that £5 x 2500 plus is many thousands? It'll be a deep bucket, certainly.

What security checks are in place to allow access to the RAF Lyneham destination & who's responsibility is it?

Has any liaison been made with the relevant authorities of Police/Highways/Wilts CC?

Now call me Mr Suspicious if you like, but this could end up with a nightmare. One collision could close a road and 2500 bikes would get awfully gridlocked, residents of Wootton Bassett really inconvenienced & anti-bike and Joe Public would simply have a stereotype reinforced.

I want to ensure my donation will reach it's target & not some scrotes pocket for his rent money.

Until these questions get answered, I agree with leaving Wootton Bassett's mums having a lie-in & simply give my fuel money to H4H instead.

And breathe....:blagblah

Just checked the website again...

Total number of bikes already registered: 3666

Total number of riders already registered: 5053 (inc pillion)

With eight weeks to go...gulp

Its certainly going to be a spectacle, one of which I will be gladly part of. I also did RTTW and will continue to support that also.

Who are we to criticse before the event, let the organisers worry about that. I dare say they have done some homework and have spoken with the organisers of RTTW to compare notes.

There there now.

I bet they can barely contain their excitement :rolleyes:

If they don't agree with it then I'm sure they will tell the organisers where to shove it next year then won't they:mmmm If however it is policed well and the whole event passes off without incident, raises a shedload of cash for the guys and gals that deserve it then surely it will have been an event worth doing:beerjug:

If they don't agree with it then I'm sure they will tell the organisers where to shove it next year then won't they If however it is policed well and the whole event passes off without incident, raises a shedload of cash for the guys and gals that deserve it then surely it will have been an event worth doing
+1:thumb2
i will be going to show my support for the lads and lasses on the front line, i know i for one couldn't do what they have to :bow

Back
Top Bottom