Route advice to southern Greece

Dansin

Reaction score
Not for me unfortunately but my sister in law. She's setting off next week (in a car) to the southern tip of Greece to start a job working on yachts for the summer. Her approximate route will be France, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece. I think she has about six weeks planned for the trip but is also on a very tight budget.

I've managed to persuade her that just taking a £7.99 map of Europe is a perhaps a little foolhardy and a satnav is on order, even if she just uses it when lost. Also sorting a bulb kit, warning triangle, hi vis vest, headlight adjusters. Any other recommendations for essential kit?

I know snow chains/tyres are advised for quite a few of the countries but is it compulsory to have them fitted in any of the above, or is it just if you are in specific areas?

Lastly, can anyone advise on a safe but interesting route that she can follow or which particular bits to avoid?

Thanks chaps

Ideas from Greece

It is more safe and drive efficient for her to enter Italy, take the boat from Venice or Printezi or Bari and cross Adriatic to port of Patras (Eastern Greece). It is 200 kms from Athens, 110 kms in a quite dangerous road and 90 kms in a very good one... If this south pit place is in Peloponnese, port of Patras is on this county of Greece..... Tell her to avoid other countries in the Balkans....

Feel free to ask anything else
vpentza@yahoo.com

I was in Slovenia a couple of weekends ago and there was loads of snow! but none on the main roads. If I were doing this journey by car this time of year - (I hope to on the GS later this year) I'd stop in a supermarket on the way and buy snow chains for about €15 and not get them from Halfords in the UK where I saw them for £69 :eek:

Thanks chaps. She's on her way tomorrow so will forward your advice. :thumb2

I firmly believe that it is better for her to choose the Italy option vpentza gave. Besides the trouble because of wheather conditions she might face going through FYROM (not Macedonia) when she reaches central Greece she will have to deal with roadblocs due to farmers strike.
Anyway good luck and safe trip !

Back
Top Bottom