Which Garmin

Richard J

Reaction score
I use a Quest 1 which is good but getting a bit slow and the screen could be bigger.
So what to replace it with?

I want

UK and Europe maps
Be able to inport routes from PC
Be able to export tracks to PC
Off route recalculation BUT I MUST BE ABLE TO TURN IT OFF
NO auto zoom (or at least be able to turn it off)
Internal battery so I can use it on foot or bicycle
Cheaper the better

I am NOT fussed about

Listening to music
Answering the phone
Blue tooth

Any ideas?

The main problem seems to the auto recalculate, garmin lists which units do this but dosn't say which ones can turn it off

I had a Quest 1 (still do in fact, its a great little device for green laning) and replaced it with a 550. You can turn off the recalculate in the 550, but not the autozoom. In practice I find that the Zumo seems to hold the zoom scale that I select - usually 250 yds.

The Quest display is more configurable than the 550 but in practice the larger, brighter screen on the 550, and the fact that you can operate it with a gloved finger, offsets this.

The 550 battery is claimed to last 4 hours or so - certainly enough for route planning off-bike in the evening or over coffee.

There used to be a 500 version which came with UK and European mapping, but lacked Bluetooth. I think it has been withdrawn but you might pick one up second hand.

I had a Quest 1 (still do in fact, its a great little device for green laning) and replaced it with a 550. You can turn off the recalculate in the 550, but not the autozoom. In practice I find that the Zumo seems to hold the zoom scale that I select - usually 250 yds.

The Quest display is more configurable than the 550 but in practice the larger, brighter screen on the 550, and the fact that you can operate it with a gloved finger, offsets this.

The 550 battery is claimed to last 4 hours or so - certainly enough for route planning off-bike in the evening or over coffee.

There used to be a 500 version which came with UK and European mapping, but lacked Bluetooth. I think it has been withdrawn but you might pick one up second hand.

I'm fairly sure the Zumo 500 does have bluetooth.

Back
Top Bottom