Couple of niggles with fuelling on DR-Z400S

muppix

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm generally having a lot of fun with my new Dizzer, but there's two small flies in the ointment:
  1. 3 times out of 4, she starts to lose fuel (presumably from the carb overflow) if I don't turn off the fuel tap straight after killing the engine. Am I right to suspect a sticky float?
  2. When trying to hoist the bars over a puddle or between whoops, the engine stutters for a second, bringing the wheel back down. Seems to only do it when actually lifting the bars or accellerating sharply uphill, giving it a handful on flat ground doesn't reproduce it. I'm wondering if it's jetting (though that should do it on the flat as well), another symptom of point #1 above, or even something electrical.
Other than that, top bike! Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
m.

Attachments

• 22271_260126217240_668537240_3191641_6338088_n.jpg
    22271_260126217240_668537240_3191641_6338088_n.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 84
Hi there glad you are enjoying the drz you are probably right on the first one the carb needs cleaning out the bike might have been left about with fuel left in the system. The next problem sounds like it could be electrical I had a similar fault in the wiring behind the head light I found some of the soldering not to be of very good standard. GOOD LUCK.

yes i'd go with cleaning the carb, also if you havent done it yet disconnect/bypass the side stand switch, that used to give me problems in all sorts of situations before i gave in and did that

yes i'd go with cleaning the carb, also if you havent done it yet disconnect/bypass the side stand switch, that used to give me problems in all sorts of situations before i gave in and did that

Excellent suggestions guys, thanks a lot! I drained the carb and added some Silkolene FXT to the fuel (used to work wonders for my Bandit 400 back in the day) but think I may also have cured one of the problems by fitting the bar risers from my now redundant TTR250. Why? Because raising the bars stretched the throttle cables a little and so I decided to check them for play while turning the bars full lock. The throttle felt a little 'clicky' and on further investigation I noticed that the cable which pulls the carb open had come out of its adjuster at the carb end, making it rattle about the place.
I don't think it had just happened, so it's bound to be better now that it's fixed. But I really like the idea with the sidestand - that perfectly explains why I only got the symptoms when actually raising the bars and not on the flat. How did you disconnect your sidestand interlock? Is it a case of just unplugging something, or do I have to bypass it with a bit of wire and tape, like on the Bandit's clutch interlock when I fitted Brembo levers?

Cheers!
m.

for me, because i dont like doing things i cant undo, i got a couple of waterproof connectors and initially put them in line, and then used a second set to loop the cable back at the loom end so that any future owner could put it back on easily

Found it!

Figured it out today: the cut in/out was really too sharp to be fuel related, and since it didn't do it on the level it must have been something to do with the way I ride when I try to raise the bars. So I tried going through the motions but without the throttle, and it still cuts out! Dawned on me that my left heel was touching the sidestand, which was momentarily killing the ignition. :blast

Bike now transformed - top marks to Frostyuk!

m.

Back
Top Bottom