Cee Baileys screen

(RIP) Mark Dilloway

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

As I was going to the States recently I ordered a Cee Baileys screen (Adv screen plus BMW bits and 3 ins up and 2 ins wider) for my 1150. It was delivered to my hotel and with much excitement brought back to the UK and fitted.

It is a fantastic product made out of aircraft cockpit plastic and looks the business but it is flawed as all the others are. The reason? Well because of the upright adjustment it causes horrendous buffeting which disappears if you duck down behind it but that's not the point. I cut off the top 3 ins (now down to the size of an Adv screen), reshaped it and altered the adjustment so that it is more raked back and went for a run. It's OK but no better that the new Wunderlich. I have returned to my special Skidmark one that I had made up and which lays back giving the clean airflow.

It's a real shame because it really is a fantastic product - if only they tested it out properly in the first place. I would not agree with the testimonials on their website (Advrider).

Since I now have a set of BMW extensions for the Adv I think I will contact Skidmarx to see if they can make up a custom job for me. I keep you posted.

I have one on itws way to me, a friend is visiting Los Angeles, Glendale to be exact which is not that far from Cee Baileys and is collecting it for me, I ordered the Adventure conversion +3" high +2" wide.

I'll post the results when I get it.

Hi Jimb,

The CeeBaileys Web Site says that the screen is adjustable - well mine wasn't hence the upright position. However, I have drilled two further holes (which are just about covered by the plastic bits on the side) so that the screen can be lowered and slanted back. It's much better. It's the angle that is so critical - the people at Skidmarx also agree with this view - they can't make me up a version before 2003.

I have got my screen down to the lowest it will go without fouling the instrument cover - If was slightly more convex it would be perfect.

Mark

I have a CeeBaileys Adv screen which is +4" and +3" wide. It's in the fully back position. It looks great.

However, the turbulence is almost zero up to 60 mph (which is lovely) then it does creep in and buff-buff-buff / rumble/rumble/rumble on the old helmet. H,mmm.

What have you done with the Skidmarx screen to get you the clean airflow results then ? Is it the standard replacement one Skidmarx sell ?

ALex

Alex,

That's right - very quiet up till 40-50 mph then the buffeting started.

A while back I got the Skidmarx flipup which didn't work and cut off the flip up which helped matters. I then laid the screen back over the silver panel thingy which improved matters yet again. I gave Skidmarx a call and went down to Weymouth (where I was born - popped in to see my mum) and they took one of their screens minus the flip and inserted the holes into the modified position having taken the measurements from the bike.

I wanted them to do the same with an Adv screen because what you want is a sports-type screen that the air flows over at speed and not slams into causing airflow problems behind where the rider is.

My CeeBaileys is no more - it got cut down to about 6ins over the silver panel - looks fantastic - but no improvement over my £35 Skidmarx.

Mark

I don't suppose you can post a picture of what the cut-down CB looks like ?

I presume you got Skidmarx to cut down the CB screen to the new dimensions ?

I'm in Southampton so not too far from Skidmarx. I may have a wander down to Weymouth and get their views. It does seem that everyone who chops their screens down and removes the "flip" (as well as laying the screen closer to the silver plate)cures the buffetting even if it does result in more head-on wind pressure. I'd rather have the pressure (and the darned flies) than the buffetting.

Cheers

Alex

Alex,

I'll try and get the picture - my daughters have the digital camera on the computer so I will have to ask them about - I'm still an advocate of the wet process.

Anyway the way to cut down a screen is to use one of those handheld anglegrinders which is what I used. If you use a jig saw etc it's possible to crack the screen because they are quite brittle if you are not careful. Basically I take a felt tip to outline the new profile on the screen - the eye can "see" to 1% accuracy - and five minutes later the job is done including sanding off the hairy bits.

I'll see what I can do

Mark

OK. Thanks for getting back/. I'll keep a watching eye open on the BB.

Back
Top Bottom