A 650 For SWMBO!

Foto John

Reaction score
The girlfriend is looking at changing her '97 Suzuki Intruder 1400 cruiser for a new F650GS.
I just wanted to know whether there was anything she should look out for or take into consideration when buying, it'll be a brand new one anyway, but if anybody could give some input into what accessories are worth getting and what aren't, would be a good start, thanks.
She's only ever ridden cruiser bikes apart from a couple of test rides on a 650GS and a short spin around a carpark on a R1150RT.
Could anyone give her some tips on ownership please, also, she'll be looking at most options including ABS, but is stalling on whether to get heated grips :confused: !
Maybe others could suggest another suitable bike too, though sadly the price of a new R1200GS is too expensive!

For the sake of £150 odd I can thoroughly recommend the heated grips. I was in two minds whether to get them at first, but decided to take the plunge and haven't regretted it once. Due to the cost, I did not opt for the ABS and so far at least all has been well. Whether I will still think that after an "Oh Shiiiiiitt" moment remains to be seen. If I could have afforded it, I would have had ABS fitted.

Unless she is tall, I would keep clear of the Dakar version. IMHO it does look a lot better, but the height can be a bit intimidating at the beginning. I am 6' but struggled with it for months.

Seconded on the heated grips, I didn't and do regret it. ABS however would be a a debatable extra.

There are lots of little things you can add later such as bar risers, power outlets etc but the first aftermarket extra should be a chain oiler, perhaps if purchased through the dealer they might fit it for you. Luggage etc is all a matter of taste, the BMW kit is looks great on the bike but is not as sturdy as, for example, touratech stuff.

Hi John,
If Inge is already used to the weight of the massive Intruder, maybe she should be looking at an 1150 secondhand with a lowered seat. Plus some info from Vern and Lucy about lowering the suspension.
I have nothing against the single. But as she has been riding big twins before maybe she should stick with them. It is possible as Lucy and Matron have shown.
Just an idea and no offence to the 650 riders...

They do two seat heights - check out both if you can, see which suits her best. ie don't get stuffed with a low seat if she doesn't need it.

defo heatedgrips if she's going to ride in anything that's not summer. they're like video recorders. once you get them, you don't know how you survived without. can make the difference between a pleasurable ride and an ordeal.

didn't have ABS on my std 650GS, or Dakar, but would think about it & test with on & off. will pay for itself the 1st time it's used & good for resale value too. your/her call on that one.

do the handguards come as std? normally a cost option. helps keep the fingers that bit warmer

might be an idea to check what comes as std on the new model; lower front mudguard
engine bars, etc

either an oiler, set up properly, or chain wax. castrol do a yellow one. no yellow on the chain, time to wax.......... :thumb

luggage - unless you get a really good deal & know you'll use it, worry about it later.

:beerjug:

Jon

or like richie says...................

girls on twins...........mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :nod :grin

richie said:
Hi John,
If Inge is already used to the weight of the massive Intruder, maybe she should be looking at an 1150 secondhand with a lowered seat. Plus some info from Vern and Lucy about lowering the suspension.
I have nothing against the single. But as she has been riding big twins before maybe she should stick with them. It is possible as Lucy and Matron have shown.
Just an idea and no offence to the 650 riders...

Hi Richie,
Thanks for your input mate, I tried going down that route, but it fell on deaf ears..........though I'll keep at it, as she's been used to big capacity twins.
She just wants to buy new, but could be persuaded otherwise for the right deal/offer.
Thanks for the other replies, suggestions etc..................keep them coming please.
BTW, She has an inside leg of about 29" and is about 5'7", so height's not that much of an issue.

If you opt for the full luggage pack, aka touring pack, then you get 3 boxes and (possibly) the high screen for a reasonable price

OR

you can do I like I did and turn down the touring pack and pay full price for screen and top box and then go back a few weeks later and pay full whack for the panniers! Doh!!!

29" inside leg - perfect for the standard seat height.

EXTRAS?? ABS (you'll think it's a waste of time until that 1 occassion when you look back and think "thank gord I opted for ABS"). Heated grips : Oh yes! Hand guards : got to look the part haven't you?

BEST EXTRA?? A Remus! How many reasons do you want?

:)

Extra's ?

Heated grips, a plus for anything outside of spring/summer. ABS, if it's an option GO FOR IT ! Only used it once, but here to tell the tale !

She sounds much the same size as me, I ride a Dakar with (I think) a lower seat and it's a little nerve wracking at times when you need to put a foot down. It's tippy toe tastic! You can get a lowering kit from www.koubalinks.com which costs about £90.
Accessories - get the ABS, it'll sell on better with it and if she has occasion to use it then it will have paid for itself; Handguards are also worth getting but you might consider the Touratech ones; BMW heated grips are a piece of cake to fit yourself, I got mine from Motorworks for about £125; luggage I would get aftermarket stuff, the BMW stuff is a bit flimsy apparently; definately get a Scottoiler; get a lower front mudguard too, I don't know about the newer bikes' version but the Touratech one is a couple of inches longer.
Keep an eye on the steering head bearings. I don't know if BMW have resolved this on the new model but a lot of people have had to get theirs changed.
Have a look at www.bmwf650.co.uk

Grips

My last three BMW's have had heated grips, and there's really no going back. Some winter mornings I wish they had an even higher setting. As far as other accessories go, I have ABS and a top box, the former hasn't been useful (yet), but the latter is a great help, and takes no time to remove when not needed.

oh come on.

We all may well be hairy arsed blokes drowning in our own testosterone. But the 1150 is a heavy barnstorming monster of a bike.
Its also a little more top heavy than the intruder type. I think that SWMBO may struggle with the weight.
I did on occasions, even moving the bike backwards up the shallowest of inclines. I'm a normal 5'10" & 13+ stone.

:)

Back
Top Bottom