Should I go KTM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magwa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been offered a very Low Milage ( 6,000miles) KTM 950 (53 plate) Adventure by a mate
I've seen it and its loaded with extra's and as mint as a mint thing
The adventure is fully kitted in the nice 'silver/ black' but the deal involves me parting with my GSA with cash my way.
The question is

IS IT WORTH IT?

Only cos I fancy a change after 3 years of a GSA does not seem the best reason for me.

but I've always wanted a KTM?
Dooh
any comments?
:thumb

I never looked back depends if you want comfort and long road rides.
My GSA was really comfy but lacked that little bit a va va voom.

As Ming put it riding a KTM was akin to a 20yr old nympho and the GSA was like going home to a lard arsed wife:D

Lifes too short, try it, if you dont like it sell it and buy another GSA:thumb2

But could I cope with a 20yr old nypho.......:blast
I came to the GSA from a Honda Africa twin so do like the V twins

decisions decisions:augie

Any known vices for the KTM ?:augie
( in short no need for chapter and verse)

One of my mates had a 2008 one and could not get on with the handling when it was fully loaded; he flogged it PDQ after a tour around Spain and France. He is a fast rider and was always wobbling around at the back of the pack with the KTM Adventure. It was also a pain to fill up both tanks. The big plastic pannier boxes also were for some reason more intrusive than my 'ard cases.
Having said that without the boxes it was probably the best bike for the Picos and the Pyrenees. The other bikes were my 1150Gs a new 1200 LT and a couple of Kawasaki sports bikes (1200 and 1400)

yeap I would be keeping my ARD cases, I don't like the look of the KTM plastic ones currently fitted

I didn't realize the petrol tanks were so small nor not connected!
I thought the twin fillers were a bit gimicky...so they are not!

As I'm about 17stone ( fully kitted in motorcycle gear but 15 stone without it)
it may not suit me.
To be fair I've ridden the KTM around the block and do like it, but it appears very low compared to the GSA....

I'm still deciding

Cheers

Go for it.

I personally wasn't over keen on the silver colour but the orig 950 motors are lovely.

Wish I'd never sold my Adv 950 S.

I adore my current 950 SE but it may have to go as I need a bike with better luggage carrying ability to take the girl friend away with me.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

But the 950 carbed motors are SO much nicer than the FI on the 990.The latter have a tad more poke,but so what !!

I tested the 990ADV last year and found it a bit small ergonomically (6'4" and 16st). I didn't much like the feel of the bike either, but then my GS is somewhat odd with 65mm risers and other changes to make it fit me. My thoughts are that if you're looking for more performance than a GS you'd be better going for a different bike.

I changed to a 2007 990 in November (previously GS800), I commute daily on it, loads of power great for thrills, You have to keep an eye on the speedo, it can run away with itself.
The tanks are connected underneath by a small bore pipe, transfer between the two tanks is gradual, when filling it is done on the sidestand, left tank first then the right, its not that much more of a hassle.
The main difference is fuel consumption, I get about 40mpg +-3 whilst commuting, its all throttle control dependent.
Lots of people report a twitchy throttle but I have had no issues there.
Go for it, its good and as previously mentioned you can always flog it if you dont like it.:thumb2:thumb2

I tested the 990ADV last year and found it a bit small ergonomically (6'4" and 16st). I didn't much like the feel of the bike either, but then my GS is somewhat odd with 65mm risers and other changes to make it fit me. My thoughts are that if you're looking for more performance than a GS you'd be better going for a different bike.

well I'm 6'02" and find the GSA perfect, Im not looking for any more performance just a change:augie I have noticed the KTM is much lower than my GSA and the screen would have to be sorted ( bigger)
well I'm still thinking:augie
but the more I think the less likley I am to change.....:rob
I think its my age:rob

but thanks for all the comments so far

I have

I changed my 1150gsa for the 990adv,and im still smiling,the V twin motor has so much punch out of the corners,you can tour on it or throw it around like a sports bike.Its a lot lighter to wheel around and pick up,with the standard seat its a tad low for me but iv got a high touratech seat on mine sorted,the twin akropovics are superb and call me a liar but imho the KTM build quality is way above the BM,paint alloy etc,and there COOL you dont see one everywhere like the GSs,if you dont buy it let me know the details iv got a mate whos ridden mine and wants a mint 950,but i think you should go for it more smiles per gallon.........:Motomartin

I have a ktm 990 r version, its the best adventure style bike i have owned to date.
I have owned a 1200 gsa and still have the 800 gs which i really like it does everything well but lacks a bit of madness for me which the ktm has bags of .

I would say the bms are a better touring bike.....more relaxed and user freindly good on fuel , where as the ktm just wants to go fast and wheelie everywhere and can be heavy on fuel, very plush WP suspension soaks up all you can throw at it, the build quality is good paint finish is good and they are quite light and has the motocross bike feel to it.

It all depends on what YOU are looking for in a bike, try to get a ride on one and see if you like them.
100_1545.jpg

I've got the s model 03 and its tall i'm 6ft 1 and could do with slightly lower seat if i'm going off road :rolleyes: its best bike i've had :D better than africa twin and gs 1150 , mines had all epc and sas stuff removed and set up on dyno :eek: 100bhp at rear wheel you do have to be carefull with throttle 3rd gear wheelies off throttle no probs , not like my africa twin :augie just depends what your after i suppose but you will be grinning from ear to ear every time you ride it :JB:JB

One thing no one has mentioned. It has one of those chain thingys. I believe Robert Louis Stevenson used one of these, as did Noah when designing the Ark prototype.....he dismissed it as old technology.

I have to say I like heavy bikes, it's all fair and well having a light flighty thing between your legs, but something with a bit of meat always feels better. If it's too heavy to pick up you need to eat more protein or get down the gym.

I have to say I like heavy bikes, it's all fair and well having a light flighty thing between your legs, but something with a bit of meat always feels better. If it's too heavy to pick up you need to eat more protein or get down the gym.

Very fatherly advise Dave:), I agree....I'm also convinced the hype around having a lighter bike rarely has credit unless seriously offroading or reversing out of a suburban electric up and over before loading it up at Tescos:)

I do like that 990r though:drool

realative

Its still a heavy bike in relative terms,just a lighter bike compared to my old 1150 gsa.The KTMs are competition bikes built for road use,whereas the BMWs are road bikes made to go off road,and as far as the old fashioned chain comment goes well if i need a chain and sprockets or chain adjust which with a scotoiler isnt that often,then its no big deal,if your shaft lets go which seems an ever increasing occurence on the beemers then shit,you need a big wallet to do that fix,I dont ride offroad but the fantastic quality WP suspenders really soak up the crap roads in the uk and as far as touring goes i do 200+ days in the saddle no worries,im off down through France in july so i guess il get the true measure of the beast then.But i gotta say iv ridden all the GSs and the big katoom is much more fun bike and when you check em out up close they are built for a fight...........:thumb

For me....

Good:
- 950 carb'ed motor fantastic and addictive, better than 990 and defo better than any GS engine
- Wonderful sound, even better, but not too loud, with akros on
- Handling easily tweakable with suspension settings (use the 'sport' settings from the owners book for lots of road use and better front end feel)
- Better finished than a beemer
- Somehow cooler, and defo rarer, than the ubiquitous GS
- Easier to move around than a GS, lighter and fuel weight lower down (the twin tanks are linked, I got used to double filling routine)
- Chain no problem, get a Scottoiler
- Easy to check recalls through any dealer's system
- Loads of advice on Advrider (Orange Crush)

Bad:
- No fuel gauge and I had fuel light problems with mine, nearly stranded me on a couple of occasions
- Not great for very long trips, but I did some 400+ mile days on mine no problem
- Needs some sort of seat mod or airhawk pad, standard seat painful for me
- Battery a pain to get at (fit a connection lead for an Optimate and keep it on trickle)
- Poor tyre choice due to sizes (Pirelli Scorpions are OE fit, road tyres are available (BT45 I think) but not approved by KTM)

In your shoes? Get it. You'll never know until you try. It's a different beast to a GS and huge fun. That bike sounds a peach.

I didn't realize the petrol tanks were so small nor not connected!

The tanks on the 990 are connected by a small hose under the tanks, I would have assumed that the 950 were the same.
This is OK for the fuelling to the engine, but not large enough for the filling of the tanks to balance the petrol level in the tanks.

Tank size and petrol consumption...this is an issue.

The KTM will probably encourage a more enthusiastic use of the throttle and gears, linked to a smaller tank that reduces the range a good bit, well it does for all the KTM owners I know.

Every biker I know loves their bikes for different reasons, but the KTM owners mostly seen to have a larger grin factor when it come to riding their bikes.

I have a 2006 990 Adventure

I have never owned a GS, but have ridden a few and I kept being drawn to them, especially at the time of year when I look at the state on my chain.

I wished I had read the “do not test ride a GS” sticky post before I test rode the KTM
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218588

GS / KTM, very different animals

I want a GS, but love riding the KTM

I know I will like the GS when (if) I get one, I just need to break the bond with KTM first.

Luckily (for me) KTM have increased the price of new bikes, combined with lower planned production for this year, and it looks like the used KTM prices might be higher than last year, so there is a change I might have a GS yet.

Reading your posts, I am sure you will enjoy what ever to get !
Enjoy

I changed my 1150gsa for the 990adv,and im still smiling,the V twin motor has so much punch out of the corners,you can tour on it or throw it around like a sports bike.Its a lot lighter to wheel around and pick up,with the standard seat its a tad low for me but iv got a high touratech seat on mine sorted,the twin akropovics are superb and call me a liar but imho the KTM build quality is way above the BM,paint alloy etc,and there COOL you dont see one everywhere like the GSs,if you dont buy it let me know the details iv got a mate whos ridden mine and wants a mint 950,but i think you should go for it more smiles per gallon.........:Motomartin

Well the only reason the mate of mine wants the GSA ( mine) is because mines also mint and fully kitted. I think he decided he wanted one when we did a tour of France/ Belgium battlefields in autumn 2007
( but he was on a transalp then)
Nothing wrong with the build quality/ finish of my '52' plate BM and its got 21,000miles now and no corrosion on the front forks from new! ( lucky or what)

He isn't in any rush to change and niether of us are sure we are just both a bit bored with our mounts at present.

He won't be selling his KTM unless he finds a GSA ( mine or like mine)first....
and he will sell the KTM after the GSA purchase ( unless we do a swap/ px deal)

For the moment the more I read about the KTM the less likley I am to change and there is no other bike on the market I like.....

( and that inc's the BMW 1200 GSA hence I'm considering KTM now)

Cheers all for the useful information

BMW_002.jpg

BMW_003.jpg

BMW_001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom