Runnymede.

Noddy

Some sort of clique thing
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got my ole Mum staying here for a family wedding. She, like my late father were RAF in WW2. She is now almost deaf from earphone duties at various stations in Kent during the BoB. Biggin Hill, Hawkinge, Capel etc.

Bit difficult, but we are slowly getting her service history straight. However, today she kept mentioning that big monument to the RAF :nenau

Took a bit of time but we managed to work out that it is at Runnymede.

Quick interweb search finds that there is indeed a memorial to 20,331 RAF that have no known grave.

Have to admit to my shame that I had never heard of it before. Knew about the Magna Carta and Kennedys memorial.

Anybody visited it ?

Not yet, but one sunny Sunday I'm intending to fix that.

opened by HRH on the hill overlooking the thames. it's alright about 10 mins from my house.

nice enough couple of pubs in the area do a nice sunday lunch.

speaking of lunch runnymede meadow is there and as the magna carter was signed just after lunch.... 1215....:blast worth a look... Ali G's home not far in nearby Staines... so a proper tourist spot.

windsor and eton are nice for a walk around and I'm thinking of opening a cake shoppe in my shed....

afternoon tea starts at £48 for two...:thumb2

very reasonable

:D

just looked it up, looks lovely think i'll take a trip over to have a look, there is also a nice one on the embankment london

Yes, been there. It's well worth a visit and seeing all those names is very moving.

raf1.jpg

raf7.jpg

raf4.jpg

raf9.jpg

raf8.jpg

raf10.jpg

raf3.jpg

raf2.jpg

Been there twice

Last year. Fantastic place, will have you on the edge of tears though (so many young men gone!) I walked up to it via the Margna Carta site from the N.T. Cafe but when I went back with my uncle who was in the R.A.F. we parked much closer for him. There is a convenient car park nearby. If you need directions I'd be glad to help. The views on a good day are spectacular from the top and include Heasthrow/Windsor Castle/Thames, so well worth the visit.

Not yet, but one sunny Sunday I'm intending to fix that.

Now that sounds like a plan. How about we do Runnymede and a return to Hendon one sunny day ?

Thanks for all the info chaps and thanks to MD for the great photos.

Now that sounds like a plan. How about we do Runnymede and a return to Hendon one sunny day ?

Ideal :thumb2

I wonder if the girl on the gate will let us park nearer to the entrance next time??? :D

Back
Top Bottom