Morocco via France and Spain

Elvin

Hi Guys,

My buddy and I are planning a trip to Morocco via west France and then through Sapin to Gib on two 1150GS Adv's. Then over into Morocco for 4 or 5 days. We want to see as much as possible, High atlas, Cassablanca, Marakesh, Fez. Any advice on routes for GPS, places to stay.

Big question - do we need a carnet?

Would also like best advice on routes down through France and Spain to take in the best roads (Twisties) and scenery.

Thanks, always sure of good advice on this site. :rolleyes:

Hi Elvin,

Got back from Morocco a week last Tuesday :D

No Carnet required, but you do need insurance for Morocco.

If you've insurance company won't extend the green card to include Morocco (some do, some don't), you can buy insurance at the border.

Assuming you're crossing at Ceuta. When you get to the border, you get waved thru the Spanish side into the Moroccan part. Some guy will approach you and ask if you need help :rolleyes:. Worth bartering for him to "assist" both of you (we donated €20 for 13 of us) thru customs, if you've never been before.

We stayed in Ibis hotels in Morocco in Fez, Marrakesh & Meknes. Fez & Marrakesh both relatively easy to find as they're both located right next to the railway station in each city. Meknes one is on the main drag, unfortunately right next to the only McDonalds I saw in Morocco, which also makes it easy to find. Also have secure parking.

Obviously you can find others/cheaper. We paid about £35 for a twin room incl breakfast. If you're sneaky, you also make rolls at breakfast for your lunch ;)

In 4 or 5 days, you could get down to Merzouga & the start of the Sahara & back. In fact, you could do a night in the Desert Inn, which is about 18km across the piste from Merzouga & the dunes. Depends on what you want to see/how long you want to take doing it. ie tick the box that you've been there, or try and absorb it a bit.

We did Ceuta/Fez.
Fez/Er Rachida
Er Rachida/ Desert Inn (Erfoud), but to be honest I'd go straight there from Fez & not stop in Er Rachida.
Desert Inn - Merzouga - Desert Inn (muck about in the desert)
(they also do nights out in the desert if you want)
Desert Inn - Todra Gorge - Ouzazate (pr War-zar-zat)
Ouzazate - Marrakesh
Marrakesh - Meknes
Meknes - Ceuta & Spain

Fez - one of the oldest cities in the world
Merzouga - pics of you next to 800ft dunes
Ouzazate - big film studio setup now & Ait Benadou (spelt wrong. old old old fortified town, pic below)
Marrakesh - sing the song, as you ride along
Meknes - Roman ruins at Vouablis, which are fantastic (spelled wrong)

All depends on how far you want to ride each day and whether you like stopping and taking pics - that'll slow you down a lot as there's lots to take!

Obvious, but get hold of a Lonely Planet/Rough Guide (I got Lonley Planet, got more positive write ups - found it good)

No doubt there'll be other suggestions too :thumb

Bet these'll all screw your plan right up now :D

Attachments

• 004_1.jpg
    004_1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 250
Nice photo Jon.

I'm in the planning stages at this moment for Morocco, starting Jan 1st (we plan to follow the Paris-Dakar into Morocco, hopefully be able to go from stage point to stage point and see the heros come in, then when the PD leave Morocco, we plan to head east and play in the sand a bit before going north) and last 2-3 weeks.

My biggest fear is the fuel situation. We should be (current count, unless there are any other takers) 3 1150GS and 1 1200GS. Presume there's going to be many points without leadless fuel, so will need to get Y-pieces, but the autonomy of the 1200 might be a problem.

What you say ??

We had two 1200GS's on the trip and I'm sure we managed to find unleaded each time for them - and any 1150 that had a cat on it.

When we went last year, the problem was you'd ask if they had unleaded and they'd say yes, but blantantly hadn't.

This time we rode into one or two stations and out again when we found they had none.

However, that being said, didn't seem as much trouble this year, but there's always the possibility it could potentially be more of a problem further down south if you're off the beaten track.

I put a y-piece on just so I wouldn't have to worry.

Could be worth asking Roy (Blue Sweeper) what he thought too, just in case I've missed anything.

:thumb

Jon

Jon said:
We had two 1200GS's on the trip and I'm sure we managed to find unleaded each time for them - and any 1150 that had a cat on it.

When we went last year, the problem was you'd ask if they had unleaded and they'd say yes, but blantantly hadn't.

This time we rode into one or two stations and out again when we found they had none.

However, that being said, didn't seem as much trouble this year, but there's always the possibility it could potentially be more of a problem further down south if you're off the beaten track.

I put a y-piece on just so I wouldn't have to worry.

Could be worth asking Roy (Blue Sweeper) what he thought too, just in case I've missed anything.

:thumb

Jon

Yeah, thanks. I think we'll play it safe and fit y-pieces on all bikes. You never know, and better safe than sorry.

We arrived back last Monday from three weeks in Spain and Morocco. Trip exceeded all our expectations, can't wait to get back...
Took the ferry to Bilbao, across Spain avoiding motorways. Many of the A roads are just as quick but much more interesting.
Crossed from Algeciras to Ceuta, went through edge of Rif to Ouezzane where we stayed for the first night. We avoided major cities and spent our time in High Atlas, down to Desert Inn for two nights and exploring as much as we could.
No problem finding unleaded to get us to the remotest of places.Party was made up of two 1150gs's without cats, a V Strom and a Varadero.
Really can't praise the place up enough. Fantastic scenery and roads, friendly people. We found that by avoiding the tourist traps of the cities everyone we met was genuinely friendly and not trying to sell you something you didn't want.
The only pressure point seemed to be at the border with Ceuta where a bit of hassle is the norm.....

Hi Elvin
I'm in Belfast and have been loads of times to Morocco
Give me a mail and I'll divulge my phone number for you and we can have a chat. I'm hoping to do another trip myself

Morocco

Thanks everyone, Jon, you have really set me going, the photo looks great, just what we are after. Thanks for the advice ref. the carnet, insurance etc. The hotels sound just what we need.

We will be on 2 x 1150 GS Adv's with 30 litre tanks and had'nt wanted to fit 'Y' pieces.

Roll on October!!! Hope this terrorist nonsence does'nt ness it up for us.

William, have sent you an e-mail.

Any other advice gratefully accepted.

routes through Spain a plenty.

where are you aiming to enter Spain?

Back
Top Bottom