On screen warning

peejay

Reaction score
Had my 660 fitted for just over a week and on occasions I get a warning screen come up saying:-

"The USB cable is connected to the wrong port" :confused:
This is when sat in its cradle on the bike.

Anybody got any clues :nenau

Just ring them, they've always been spot on with their support....

0808 238 0000 :thumb

I've had the same warning this weekend, however, it was during heavy rain and I wondered if it was water finding its way into the traffic receiver port and causing a short?

In the dry it's never appeared so that would be my guess. If you do ring Garmin though, tell us what they say?

Mine did the same shortly before the mount went tits up (no sound) took about 2 weeks for a new mount from Garmin:(

Any news on this peejay? A one off or an underlying problem?

Not rung them yet, but, had 1st service today and they power washed it. Hey presto, warning came up again, popped across the road to RobMacs place (he who fitted it) and showed him.
Immediately he said that'll be water in the traffic sensor port which he had tucked away, but not sealed off.
Dried it and sealed it off and tied it out of harms way.
Seams to be okay now.

Seems like you guessed it straight off h0wz3r:thumb2

Not rung them yet, but, had 1st service today and they power washed it. Hey presto, warning came up again, popped across the road to RobMacs place (he who fitted it) and showed him.
Immediately he said that'll be water in the traffic sensor port which he had tucked away, but not sealed off.
Dried it and sealed it off and tied it out of harms way.
Seams to be okay now.

Seems like you guessed it straight off h0wz3r:thumb2

At least the problem has been replicated so we know what the cause is now. How did you seal off the port?

I used self-amalgamating tape before I bought one of these GTM-12.

Now I get a young lady telling me "There is traffic ahead" into my monitors whenever my commute home is going to be slower than usual.

--
Ash

I used self-amalgamating tape before I bought one of these GTM-12.

Now I get a young lady telling me "There is traffic ahead" into my monitors whenever my commute home is going to be slower than usual.

--
Ash

At the minute, it's wrapped in polythene and zip tied for freshness:eek:

Just got back from a very wet ride over the Brecons, no warning:thumb

But I have one of the GTM-12 thingies from my Nuvi that is surplus to requirements so will fit that and wrap in it in self-amalgamating tape,
same as AshR1, should do the trick.

Thank {the Deity of your choice} for the search function. Mine was doing this as well but only once each time I started up and only when wet (ie most of the time right now). I assumed water ingress but it's good to have a confo.

heatshrink city here I come :thumb

Thank {the Deity of your choice} for the search function. Mine was doing this as well but only once each time I started up and only when wet (ie most of the time right now). I assumed water ingress but it's good to have a confo.

heatshrink city here I come :thumb

Had a very wet weekend in north Wales last week and no problem with the Zumo, so the quick fix seems to have worked.

I wish the same could be said for the accommodation we stayed in!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

This is interesting, but I've been getting the same message ("The USB cable is connected to the wrong port") under rather different circumstances.

Most of the time I've been using my Zumo at work, in a VW van (using the car mount) which shuts off the power to the cigarette lighter socket (aka the Zumo power source :D ) when the van's engine is shut off. At that point I naturally get the "...do you want to continue on battery power?" message, to which I usually answer "Yes" to avoid going through the Zumo's startup sequence again.

And that's when the message ("The USB cable is connected to the wrong port") appears. No weather to affect the device at all, since it's been sitting in a nice warm, dry, van.

Any other ideas? It hasn't had any obvious effect, apart from the spurious message, but from what's been posted here, I've been wondering if it's a pointer to potential future problems.

Should I worry?

Should I be digging out Garmin's phone number?

Can't comment on that one I'm afraid. Been using mine quite a lot recently but haven't had the warning show up since my rainy ride to Hereford.

I would ring Garmin and see what they say, sounds like a separate (though coincidental) issue to me. Let us know what they say :nenau

I gave bike a wash at weekend - same usb error following it and some funnies with sound which eventually sorted themselves.

Jetwashed bike and tmc connector tucked away but not sealed. Job for this evening to seal up tmc I fear.

What a stupid design to have an option plug which by the sounds of things must be sealed! Great - nothing like buying an pricey bit of bike kit that isn't designed for bikes - hmmmmm! Not impressed

Back
Top Bottom