Cheapskate Sat-Nav

Hornblower

I'm really sorry if this has already been covered in this forum - I looked and couldn't find it. My question is, is it possible to use a cheap sat-nav in an aqua box rather than forking out £300-£500? Firstly, I would rely mostly on the audio feed as I need reading glasses to see stuff close up and I don't want to wear them while I'm riding. Secondly, that means that the sat-nav would need to have a socket for headphones and I'm struggling to find one. Can anyone advise?

I made up one of these

Don't apologise about this question being asked before. There may be a few smug comments about Hitler etc, just ignore it. It's a forum, there are no rules.

satnav-holder.jpg

It's a metal bracket I made and screwed an eBay sourced RAM bracket to it. I use a Nuvi 255 car satnav.

In a light shower the screen protects it and when it rains I use a freezer bag. I don't use it all the time only in town to find hotels, resturants etc. I have to wear reading glasses and perch them on the end of my nose to see over them for normal riding, works OK.

Thanks for that Johnny. Like you, I really only want to use the thing in towns so this looks like a cheaper option and a good compromise.

Thanks again.

The Nuvi style or form factor is being used across a broad product range including the new zumo 660 series, that said Nuvi 550 is waterproof. anything in Nuvi range has cradle and attach a handlebar ball joint mount.

I accept JOB's solution will work and use of a plastic outer sleeve overcomes the wet rain splashes instead of housing inside a box (beit AquaBox or other brand). Using the open cradle does allow you to attach RAM-MAG1 glass so the screen image is enlarged for those with tired or challenged sight.

Another option altogether is (mount + case, or mount only view)

gps032.jpg
gn032-sbh.jpg

Made by Arkon (not to be confused with Givi solution) Part # is GPS032 bike/motorbike gps waterproff case (fits handlebar to 32mm) suits Garmin and TomTom devices. Check with www.buybits.com as a stockist

Hi Mr H,

A Garmin 2610 (or similar) will be waterproof 'as is' (being designed for bike use) and the power cable will have a headphone socket built in.

The downside is that it's an old unit, and the mapping reflects this.

A good s/h one (they come up fairly regularly here) will be under £150... they sometimes go on eBay for a lot less :augie

A car sat nav means faffing about with (as you said) an aquabox type thing, and I doubt whether car units are as robust as bike units re. vibration etc.

Personally I'd go for the 2610 (old maps) or 2820 (new maps) option, or a Nuvi 550 which is about £220 brand new, and you can even get a TT mount :D

Thanks David

I tracked a couple of 2610's on ebay but was outbid. I'll keep trying as clearly that's the best (cheapest?!) option.

All the best to you.

H

cheap gps options

I got a fujitsu siemens pocket loox n100 for the car and it's a handy bit of kit - very small and nifty. Bought an N110 for the missus a good while ago for £120ish I think. Got an N100 more recently on eblag for less than £50 with full euro maps, car kit, chargers etc - bargain. Prices vary massively - some sellers still ask £200 + :eek

See other photies for bike mounting. Ram box I have is far too big for the piddley little gps, but seems to work. With some padding placed in the box and around the gps, it presses the gps against the clear (flexible) screen, so the stylus (or fingers) still work when it's in the mount.

If I hadn't managed to lock the steering lock on my xr250 and lose my (only) key, I could tell you how it works in practice :blast :blast

see next post for photies continued :thumb2

not sure it helps much .......... :nenau

Attachments

• fujitsu gps 800x600.jpg
    fujitsu gps 800x600.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 570
  • gps holder bottom bit underneath 800x600.jpg
    gps holder bottom bit underneath 800x600.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 544
  • gps holder middle bit 800x600.jpg
    gps holder middle bit 800x600.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 566
  • gps holder back of ram mount 800x600.jpg
    gps holder back of ram mount 800x600.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 505
  • gps holder back of ram mount close up 800x600.jpg
    gps holder back of ram mount close up 800x600.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 570
photies continued:

Attachments

• gps holder front view 800x600.jpg
    gps holder front view 800x600.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 566
  • gps holder front view alt 800x600.jpg
    gps holder front view alt 800x600.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 560
  • gps holder front view open 800x600.jpg
    gps holder front view open 800x600.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 561
  • gps holder side closer thingy 800x600.jpg
    gps holder side closer thingy 800x600.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 569
i use a garmin 350 car jobbie as i cant/wont pay 500 quid for a 660

not waterproof but put in an inside pocket and connected to earpiece it does fine - dont have fairing so itd be a bit exposed on the bike

only prob is it has flip out antenna and the maps on my one are needing updating

currently looking for another with a line out

the cradle and mounts are eaily got from gpsw and ebay

Back
Top Bottom