Twin Cam oil

snakebasket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know that these oil threads are pretty much forbidden, but dare I ask what oil people are using for their 1450 twin cams for the engine and transmission. Until now I have used the HD supplied fully synthetic, but it is astronomically priced, so I'm looking for an alternative. Putoline do options for V twins, anybody tried it or what else do you recommend. Would preferably like to use the same for engine and transmission if this is poss.

Check out Opie Oils, they sell various brands of 20-50 oil, uincluding AmsOil which was very popular for the 1450. At £58.23 for 5 litres it is a bit pricey though ...Plenty of other choices there

Spectro do Harley oil,around £12.99 for 1 U.S.gallon (3.8l) from your local Custom Chrome or Zodiac aftermarket shop. Hein-Gericke also do V-twin specific oil,£4.99 per litre.:)

Attachments

• P1000520.JPG
    P1000520.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 128
I use Shell Advance Ultra 15w-50 fully synthetic in my Dyna it takes 2.8 litres for the engine and Advance Ultra only comes in 1ltr bottles.

Bought a lot of it quite a while back,I think it was about £7.50 a litre.

In the handbook it says if you are stuck you can use diesel engine oil!

If you look at some harley websites there's a lot of debate - on the CVOHarley website I'd say they settle on Amsoil 20/50 MCV in the engine (but others use Mobil 1 20/50 not around in the UK, or Redline 20/60), Redline MTL in ther primary and Redline Heavy duty shockproof in the gearbox (looks very thick and bright pink).

That combination makes my ElectraGlide and my wife's Rocker C smoother on gearchanges and if you look at the Amsoil degradation specs it holds it's 20/50 specs for much longer than Syn3 - the harley own oil.

Opie oils sell all of the above and give UKGSER discount.

Jon

I have used the redline shockproof gear oil for years and I wouldnt use anything else, as for the rest I change the oil regular and use a mineral 20/50 simply due to the cost, and convenience of having one lot of oil to use in either bike, up to recently I used duckams Q and in both my 1450 and my wifes 1340, and it was just fine thanks, having said that I have sold the 1450 and have an FXR now which is an older engine and I think mineral is better in an older engine anyway.
I think you will find that harely use the new stuff in the engine and in primary, which does away with the need for a primary lube, and the primary reason was ease and cost of production rather than any other benifit, to the customer.

Back
Top Bottom