ZUMO 660 - Don't be too "rugged"?

Goose

Reaction score
FFS.............. I bought my ZUMO 660 in May last year in the UK. Used it in UK, France & Belgium and have been using it extensively here in SA doing what one does best - ride offroad! (see pic)

So I contact GARMIN for some info - not a complaint.... just something I noticed with my ZUMO that the on/off button seems to stick (but it still works) and remain a bit "depressed" (no pun)

My email to GARMIN:
My one concern however is that it appears that the power on/off button get's stuck with what seems to be dust collection. If I flip it with the finger on the edge of the button, it will pop up slightly - but seems to sit about 1-2mm below the surface where it used to be flush with the top of the casing.
The unit still switched on & off without a problem however, but I am concerned that it may well get to a point where it remains stuck and cannot
take the risk of the unit perhaps failing whilst in the middle of Africa -it's going to be my lifeline and we wanted to get another 660 for the 2nd bike but if the dust is going to be an issue.....?

I therefore need advice - seeing that I am in South Africa, originally bought the unit in the UK (the South Africans don't like servicing things or backing warranties if it's not bought from them) and will be returning to live in Kent from October 2010 - I was hoping for a resolution and advice from Garmin?

Is there a way to clean the switch....?
Is there perhaps some sort of rubber grommit/cover that could be placed over
the switch area itself to perhaps protect and seal the area that would still allow the switch to be depressed?

95% of the roads to be travelled in the next 6 months would be on dirt & gravel....

GARMIN's response:
Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Our Zumo 660's are particularly suited to being mounted on motorbikes and are IPX7 waterproof and heavily resistant to dirt and scratches.
However if you are going to an area with Particularly high lever of dust and dirt and you wish some additional protection then it may be worth investing in some for of plastic rain cover for your GPS device, ( we do not supply ones for a ZUMO660 directly as they are waterproof) but these would also stop dirt and dust getting to the device, otherwise this website provides a unique protection option that may be worth looking into

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield...es-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

I hope this has proved useful to you.

NOW is this an automated response or what...? :blast

So my response back to GARMIN:

Hi there Nicholas - I appreciate the advice, however my query has not been resolved?

The reason for my mail/query was:
- My on/off button is getting stuck at the moment due to dust!
- I need a suggestion or info to have the problem resolved with the unit now
- as obviously the dust has affected the unit and the IPX7 waterproofing is
not sufficient.

I travel on gravel roads - it's not particularly more dusty that any other gravel or dust roads.......... and as the GPS was supposedly designed by bikers for use on a bike, I assumed that the adventurous spirit of offroad
travelling was taken into consideration with it's design.

ONCE the problem has been resolved - I'll then purchase aftermarket protection to prevent future use/problems, however that does not assist me now!

Please can you offer a solution to fix the unit now?

:pullface

I'm still sitting with no resolution to the problem, so whilst the ZUMO 660 is a great unit for use in Britain and Europe - beware it may not stand up to the dust of Africa :eek:

It's waterproof, not dustproof.
I would suggest giving it a wash.

Tried that! Problem is that being a sealed unit, the space between the button and casing is so fine that you'd have to use something with a bit of "pressure" to get in there.... and that may well blow the seals.

That's it ..... Bubble Wrap for my 660 now. :eek:

I would seriously suggest getting hold of a latex or silicone membrane to stick over the button area. (same stuff they use for the iPod & cellphone covers)

Similar I suppose to this rocker switch cover.....

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/224299945/rocker_switch_waterproof_cover/showimage.html

or

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/15840-contura-rocker-switch-dpst-from-cole-hersee.html

OR we could simply put a ruddy condom over it.......... :blast imagine the advert for Durex... "We even protect Garmin Zumo's from .........." :augie

:blast

That must be it! :D

............. so sorry, but I thought that the "Great" is now left off due to the fact that she's got no colonies left.... :comfort

:hide

Cant help with the zumo but re the comment above that is complete bollox, we have loads of colonies left, or at least crown dependencies.
As you can see a massive list of REALLY well known places ;-)

Isle of Man
Channel Islands
Isle of Wight
Falklands
Some small bit of Cyprus
Danger Island
Diego Garcia Island
Eagle Island
Egmont Island
Nelsons Island
Peros Banos Island
Salomon Island
Three Brothers Island
Ducie Island
Henderson Island
Oeno Island
Pitcairn Island
South Georgia
South Sandwich Island
Inaccessible Island
Nightingale Island
Tristan da Cunha Island
Acension Island
St Helena
Montserrat
Cayman Brac
Grand Cayman
Little Cayman
Ambergris Cays
East Caicos Island
Grand Turk Island
Middle Caicos Island
North Caicos Island
Parrot Cay
Pine Cay
rovidenciales Island
Salt Cay
South Caicos Island
West Caicos Island
Bermuda Island
Ireland Island North
Ireland Island South
Somerset Island
St Davids Island
St Georges Island
Palmer Land
Queen Maud Land

Cant help with the zumo but re the comment above that is complete bollox, we have loads of colonies left, or at least crown dependencies.
As you can see a massive list of REALLY well known places ;-)

Isle of Man
Channel Islands
Isle of Wight
Falklands
Some small bit of Cyprus
Danger Island
Diego Garcia Island
Eagle Island
Egmont Island
Nelsons Island
Peros Banos Island
Salomon Island
Three Brothers Island
Ducie Island
Henderson Island
Oeno Island
Pitcairn Island
South Georgia
South Sandwich Island
Inaccessible Island
Nightingale Island
Tristan da Cunha Island
Acension Island
St Helena
Montserrat
Cayman Brac
Grand Cayman
Little Cayman
Ambergris Cays
East Caicos Island
Grand Turk Island
Middle Caicos Island
North Caicos Island
Parrot Cay
Pine Cay
rovidenciales Island
Salt Cay
South Caicos Island
West Caicos Island
Bermuda Island
Ireland Island North
Ireland Island South
Somerset Island
St Davids Island
St Georges Island
Palmer Land
Queen Maud Land

:D

Bwahaha........ matey don't take it so seriously :clap a good laugh though.... but must point out that those are mostly little islands aren't they? :hide

Ragging you...!

Wish the UK kept hold of Safrica.... maybe wouldn't be in such a mess!

:ronno

Just an update on the dust problem.

I suppose I should have taken pics, but just plain forgot.

I managed to find a way to "open" the ZUMO in such a way as to not affect or damage the casing at all. The internals were then removed and I had to remove a circlip to release the on/off button. Once the button was removed from the casing, I noticed that the metal pin has a small O-ring which seals the button entry-point to the casing. It was covered in dust.
Using a cotton bud I cleaned the internals, pin and o-ring after which I applied a very small amount of lubricating silicone and then re-assembled.

Problem solved and the button now works 100%.

Next step is buying a Silicone cell-phone cover, which will be cut and modified, then stuck over the button to prevent any future dust problems.

Pic to follow once jobbie's done! :augie

:D

Bwahaha........ matey don't take it so seriously :clap a good laugh though.... but must point out that those are mostly little islands aren't they? :hide

Ragging you...!

Wish the UK kept hold of Safrica.... maybe wouldn't be in such a mess!

:ronno

Most of them so small you can even find them on the map ;-) but they are ALL the colonys we have left so we have to make the most of what we have got !!!!

GoosePilot - I am having exactly the same problem with my Zumo, for the second time! After having it serviced once by Garmin (under warranty) but having the problem return 6 months later, I am not anxious to send it back to them again unless I have no other recourse. I fear they will charge me this time.

Would you mind sharing how you were able to open the cover? I don't even see a good starting point!

GoosePilot - I am having exactly the same problem with my Zumo, for the second time! After having it serviced once by Garmin (under warranty) but having the problem return 6 months later, I am not anxious to send it back to them again unless I have no other recourse. I fear they will charge me this time.

Would you mind sharing how you were able to open the cover? I don't even see a good starting point!

No problem matey.

tell you what, I'll open mine again and do a couple of screenshots! Please just bear with me, I'll try post them by Tuesday evening!

Please excuse the quality of the pics......

I have tried to post them in the sequence that I used to strip the unit.

The idea is to carefully use the sharp-edge of the blade - insert it in the crack on the top (on/off button side) of the unit and once you are happy it's in properly, just slowly bend it towards the back of the unit.
The cover will lift slightly and click out.
Be carefull however - the plastic is thin and could be prone to snapping or bending - then Garmin will never give you your remainder of the warranty.

Use the blade on the slightly widened sides as well and unclip them.

Beware the bottom section - it's got a middle piece of plastic used as a key to line the cover up. Don't snap this .

Once it's off - you'll see the screws.

remove these carefully (don't strip the heads) and once done you can slowly open the unit. Watch out for the ribbon cables and take note of their position and the way to unclip them.

Slowly remove the circuitry (sorry, but I stopped with the unclipping of the cover as you should be able to take it further from there)

Your on/off button has a small "circlip" on the inside of the casing, which you should carefully remove to allow the shaft of the button to slide out. Don't lose the small spring that sits between the casing and the button!

Once the switch button has been removed, I cleaned the shaft and the hole out and placed a small amount of white grease on it for lubrication.
Don't put too much as it will collect dust.

I also stretched the spring by about 50% to allow a stronger return on the button.

Whole lot then reassembled in reverse.

I have not personally done it yet, but suggest getting some latex or maybe an old keyboard condom (soz don't remember what they were called) and then stickinga latex film over the outside of the button. It will prevent dust and water entering and you having to do this all over again!

Hope the advice and pics help! :thumb2

Attachments

• Zumo 1.JPG
    Zumo 1.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 565
  • Zumo 2.JPG
    Zumo 2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 563
  • Zumo 3.JPG
    Zumo 3.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 553
  • Zumo 4.JPG
    Zumo 4.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 559
  • Zumo 5.JPG
    Zumo 5.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 564
Yes - these are great, thank you for taking the time to write this up with photos!

I have this problem for the second time now, and last time I cleaned the button I decided it was such a pain in the ass to disassembe the small parts, I would never want to do it again... I'm forced now though...
Anyone knows of something I can order to stick over the button or even the whole unit to prevent this from happening again?

Back
Top Bottom