Can I create a route and load it to a tom tom one?

Dennis1971

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a tom tom one as a budget option can I do the following:

Create a route on a PC following all the nice and flowing A and B roads and load it up to a TOM TOM One. My aim is to take my mate from Holland touring and not spend half the time crunched over maps, which is fun but I fancy an easy few days of touring. The other advantage is when we deviate from our route when we see a nice road it will guide us back to our route.#

So can a budget unit do this?

Dennis

I had a Tomtom Rider 1 and it wouldn't do what you wanted then - but this may have corrected with the Tomtom 2.

Have a look on their website.

I am thinking of buying a tom tom one as a budget option can I do the following:

Create a route on a PC following all the nice and flowing A and B roads and load it up to a TOM TOM One. My aim is to take my mate from Holland touring and not spend half the time crunched over maps, which is fun but I fancy an easy few days of touring. The other advantage is when we deviate from our route when we see a nice road it will guide us back to our route.#

Dennis

Dont know abart loading up.?
Why not just put in set points , and plan route on the tomtom.

A good note , if ye wana waterproof yer "one", is to get one of them silicone covers , then the bits exposed , silicone clear plastic on screen and the back.
It works pretty well, just dont leave it out in the rain when parked up without a jiffy bag on , coz itl die on yer.
Mine did in Austria coz i was lazy and left it on the bike wiout a cover .

ugg

No idea about TomTom, but the ever excellent Garmin devices can.

Only some Garmins can import routes. AFAIK all the Zumos do, along with the Nuvi 860 and derivatives. Cheaper Nuvis dont accept routes from Mapsource. The OP enquired about a low-cost car unit rather than something designed for a motorcycle. TYRE is often suggested for route planning (search the forums for a source) but whether a TomTom One will take routes is a matter for those more expert than me.

Some guys I did a tour of Wales with last year had TomTom Ones, you couldn't load routes, just to A to B stuff. However, ISTR that there are two versions of the One, maybe the later one does. Have a look at your menus for 'Itinerary Planning'.

I think quite a few of the TomTom car units can import an ITN file, you can use Tyre or ITN Converter to create a route in this format.

Only some Garmins can import routes. AFAIK all the Zumos do, along with the Nuvi 860 and derivatives. Cheaper Nuvis dont accept routes from Mapsource. The OP enquired about a low-cost car unit rather than something designed for a motorcycle. TYRE is often suggested for route planning (search the forums for a source) but whether a TomTom One will take routes is a matter for those more expert than me.

Oh, I see.

I translated 'to a Tom Tom one' as: "I have a GPS, it's a Tom Tom one", as in, 'It's a GPS device, made by Tom Tom"

All is now clear.

Buy a suitable Garmin that supports routing, is my advice.

yes - do it on google maps - then 'send' it to GPS

search my earlier posts :thumb

bollox to garmin :D

Dennis

Dennis,
Did you get a bike then? and what did you end up with?:thumb2

A program called TYRE will do route planning and then load it into your TomTom
Link: http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.html

Not on the TomTom One though. Some of the earlier firmware did allow it but any model sold recently, and those that have been upgraded, wont.

Either get a higher spec TomTom that the manufacturer intends to have ITN support or get a Garmin that supports detailed routing (high end Nuvis, Zumos and earlier StreetPilot 2710 or 2810).

Back
Top Bottom