Lucky me asdvice re a KTM 400/450/530 EXC

Robbo1200ADV

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
At the tender age of 50 I'm being treated by my Bro in law to one of the above. Probably a new 2009 530 . Anyone had one ? I'm fairly new to Enduro off road ,but did Cambodia on an XR 250 which I loved so much I bought an XR250R to use here. I know the KTM's need more looking after but what are they like as a day in day out (not commuting!!) Bike? Seem well built but not too many deals to be had and the PX on the XR is a joke so I'll sell that privatley .Anyone use one of these beasts?:nenau

Competion bike same as WRF etc. high maintenance, nasty on road with nobblies on, very competent in the right hands offroad, ridden all 3 offroad 400 has the tamest power delivery then the 530, 450 seemed bit more race orientated to me.
Depends what you want it for ? A guy came with us to the Afgan run on his 450EXC and we were all on road bikes, he did not have a problem :D

I'm 62 and ride a 400 regularly as do a couple of mates. They're really only that high maintenance if you're doing enduros (ie throttle on the stop for a lot of time). For trail use they adsorb punishment very well and are very tough. Why not book an Ady Smith day (highly recommended) and ask him to bring all three you're interested in and you can try for yourself. Personally Ifind the 400 has more than enough power and no problem on the road with CO2s:thumb2

I use a 525XC (same as the EXC but with a much bigger tank and a fan on the rad). I use it for green lanes as well as general off-road duties :)

The 530 is a great bike, still light but oodles of power which means you can stick it in 3rd gear and stay there for the majority of off-road scenarios. As the others say, they are high maintenance (if you compare it to a road bike) but it is all easy stuff, for light trails (non enduro) then you can push the service intervals quite a way.

Not had any problems riding mine on the road although high speed road use will chew a nobbly in a few hours. Millard (from this forum) has graduated up from 2strokes to 250KTM and now onto a 450KTM and he said he would rather have gone straight there and saved the time in-between.

If you're local you're welcome to come over and have a go on mine.

I use a 525XC (same as the EXC but with a much bigger tank and a fan on the rad). I use it for green lanes as well as general off-road duties :)

The 530 is a great bike, still light but oodles of power which means you can stick it in 3rd gear and stay there for the majority of off-road scenarios. As the others say, they are high maintenance (if you compare it to a road bike) but it is all easy stuff, for light trails (non enduro) then you can push the service intervals quite a way.

Not had any problems riding mine on the road although high speed road use will chew a nobbly in a few hours. Millard (from this forum) has graduated up from 2strokes to 250KTM and now onto a 450KTM and he said he would rather have gone straight there and saved the time in-between.

If you're local you're welcome to come over and have a go on mine.

Thanks for your Kind offer!! Have Done a deal on a 450!!:D Cant wait!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• 450 exc.jpg
    450 exc.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 119