TomTom app on iPhone

Demongroover

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is anyone here successfully using an iPhone for TomTom?

My TomTom v1 has gone seriously on the blink and I cannot get it to work properly. I was due for a phone upgrade and liked the look of the iphone and my mate was raving about his so I got one. I bit the bullet and paid £60 for the TomTom app from the iStore.
I installed it, and although slick operation with cool in-app features like google search etc the app won't maintain any reliable GPS signal rendering the whole endeavour useless. :mad:

Anyone else found this? And more importantly, anyone else cured this?

If not it looks like paying through the nose for TomTom v2. :(

Got it working on my sons phone and its all he uses in the car now, works very well.

Got a co-worker here who uses it occasionally, but when he's needed GPS in anger has asked to borrow my 520 as the iPhone version does some silly stuff around GPS usage near junctions (in order to save battery life or something). Apparently there's a GPS cradle you can buy that helps?

I've been using my iphone with tomtom as my gps for about 6 months now. I mounted it using some spare ram parts to the silver cover below the screen so that it sits just about the clocks.

I've been very impressed with it, the only thing I don't like is that you can't upload routes to it, so you can't preplan a route with various points and then upload it.

You also can't control it when wearing gloves unless you do something like the mod I made to my glove. You'll need the mod as, if you get a text come in, the alert window comes up over the tomtom screen and won't go away. When this happens, after a while the screen goes to sleep, which is annoying.

I have the headphone output feeding into my autocom so that I get voice prompts in the headphones.

For the same costs you can find other non-waterproof car gps units which might be better, but it you've already paid for the tomtom, it makes sense to keep working on it.

I rarely ever have a gps dropout and found it to be a solid little gps unit at all times.

J.

I've owned Garmin GPS units for the last 10+ years and have tried and used at least 25 different units, all have their own little quirks that you live with. I got an Iphone 3Gs last year and since then have tried all the GPS apps that are available. As for tracking and routing apps, I've tried TomTom, Navigon, NDrive, iGo, Magellan, Sygic, Nav4 and a few others, and no I did not purchase any of these apps. I have since then removed all but Navigon and Roadmate by Magellan as the others all have quirks that make the others easier to use and operate in a vehicle and are personal preferences. All apps used the internal iphone GPS receiver and all had no problems with tracking.
I also have tired some of the Topo map apps and iTopomaps and Fugawi imap work quite well without glitches. For Marine map apps on the iphone, Navionics is an adequate application.

JB

Bugger, why won't mine get a gps fix then?
Any tweaks or anything I can do?
Like I said, all my other TomTom devices have been great but this won't find or maintain a solid gps lock.

Bugger, why won't mine get a gps fix then?
Any tweaks or anything I can do?
Like I said, all my other TomTom devices have been great but this won't find or maintain a solid gps lock.

I have Navigon for iPhone and it works flawless. Been told that if you do have problems with GPS software/reception a complete Restore and fresh install of the phone via iTunes is the solution....:nenau

Good luck!

J.

Using Navigon on my iphone as well with no problems at all.
The only down side so far is when you get an alert window pop up on the screen.

Rod

Is anyone here successfully using an iPhone for TomTom?

My TomTom v1 has gone seriously on the blink and I cannot get it to work properly. I was due for a phone upgrade and liked the look of the iphone and my mate was raving about his so I got one. I bit the bullet and paid £60 for the TomTom app from the iStore.
I installed it, and although slick operation with cool in-app features like google search etc the app won't maintain any reliable GPS signal rendering the whole endeavour useless. :mad:

Anyone else found this? And more importantly, anyone else cured this?

If not it looks like paying through the nose for TomTom v2. :(

go into gps setting via TT change the aquiring setting

I have Ndrive (£10.00) on mine

I use Tomtom on my iphone too i got a waterproof holder and charger from Buybits.com, I have the conducting thread in my gloves and it works a treat. There is a pen that works with gloves too its called a alupen, just need to work out a holding system !!

I have been using Tom-tom on my iPhone for over a year now, never had a problem with it. In fact it picked the signal up faster than my Tom-tom 730GO
If you want to pre plan your route, you need to go into the Advanced Planning menu (1.9 latest version) and you can do it from there. I use it on my bike with a waterproof case and ram mount, also connected to Autocom via Bluetooth. It works flawlessly. :aidan

I've had the Tom Tom app since it came out. On my old 3G it was a bit hit and miss so bit the bullet and bought the Tom Tom cradle. Expensive but no more gps problems, plus I can play my music through the car speakers and have BT phone. Now have a iPhone 4, the map rendering is a work of art, crystal clear. I've never had the gps drop out, lane guidance is useful and TomTom traffic live has got me out of the poo on a few occasions. I have looked at some of the free gps apps but they look blocky and less refined.

I have a waterproof mount for it on the bike but tbh rarely use it. If I need gps I switch the screen off and put it in my pocket. Apart from in the city where most gps's get confused it works well just on audio prompts. It speaks the road names you need for turns. I can also listen to my music and guidance instructions are seamlessly faded in and out.

I've also used it abroad when I've needed to use a hire car, again it has worked really well.

It's downside is the inability to plan a complicated bike route. Yes on the latest version you can input up to four waypoints but it ain't enough. So I still use my clunky, pixelated 550 for bike trips. Just planned a 2k mile trip round France for this may using basecamp, basically linked up loads of the routes out of "the best biking routes in France" with scenic routes from the Michelin map. Now if you could do that on the app it would be perfect IMHO!

co pilot in car and on bike great sat nav and ipod inbuilt:D

Back
Top Bottom