690 Enduro Questions

Snoopy

Reaction score
1. does it have a coded ignition?
2. does it have kick start?
3. does the "R" have uprated suspension and that's it?

1. does it have a coded ignition?
2. does it have kick start?
3. does the "R" have uprated suspension and that's it?

1. I believe not, no immobiliser or chip
2. No
3. Yes, more travel I believe

But a very similar bike, the used XChallenge is 2/3rd's of the used price of a 690:blast

Can't justify the price of the 690 without that. The 640 is looking better all the time. :augie

There is a 2009 690 Enduro with under 600 miles in this months TBM £4995 there is also a 2007 Xchallenge in the FS&W section for £4250..it has some bling but only bringing it close to the spec of the KTM in the suspension dept... does not seem 2/3rds the price to me and it older with more miles :augie Another avenue for possibly a cheap KTM would be to see if Patsy Quick (sp) is selling any of her school bikes yet??

The demise of the Xchallenge seems to have pushed the prices up up and away with the fairy's
Unless BWM's other dept (Husky) are going to build a replacement for it, I really fail to realise why they discontinued making it if it was that good? Whats even more confusing is that people would still be reluctant to take a Husky RTW and it would take a long time for peeps to get the confidence in the product to do so. :confused:

Adie

Another avenue for possibly a cheap KTM would be to see if Patsy Quick (sp) is selling any of her school bikes yet??

Adie[/QUOTE]

She's just bought all P and H's 2009 EXC's 10 of them I think leaving none left for me to buy:mad:( I got a good deal at AMS in Gloucester in the end) So she may be selling the old fleet:nenau:nenau

How many XChallenges have you ridden, Adie??

Admittedly none in the rough, but I did pre-order one after the bike show when they were first released only to cancel it once test ridden on the road (eventually bought the 640 ADV instead). The bike was very tall and no means at the time to lower (lower air pressures in shock were not considered acceptable then) the rear end was very firm to say the least...good knows what it would have been like in the rough. The suspension units are built to a price ( I think you have even said this) and whilst work will probably never be as tunable as the WP units found on the Orange bikes IMO. I have not paid any attention but presume that they did not fall foul of that same flaws the HP Enduros had fork wise?

I am now again looking for a large single for trips and considered the Xchallenge again but have settled on getting a Honda BRP XRR...more bang for buck I personally think even though I'll be changing the oil every 10 mins.

Adie

Admittedly none in the rough, but I did pre-order one after the bike show when they were first released only to cancel it once test ridden on the road (eventually bought the 640 ADV instead). The bike was very tall and no means at the time to lower (lower air pressures in shock were not considered acceptable then) the rear end was very firm to say the least...good knows what it would have been like in the rough. The suspension units are built to a price ( I think you have even said this) and whilst work will probably never be as tunable as the WP units found on the Orange bikes IMO. I have not paid any attention but presume that they did not fall foul of that same flaws the HP Enduros had fork wise?

I am now again looking for a large single for trips and considered the Xchallenge again but have settled on getting a Honda BRP XRR...more bang for buck I personally think even though I'll be changing the oil every 10 mins.

Adie

Because the XC is lighter, I think there have been no fork issues on it, in comparison to the HP2e.

The HP2e should have come with 50mm forks for such a weighty bike

The rear suspension is tall and stiff.....................however it works ok in the dirt and the faster you go the better it is and you can always fit an Ohlins now

For a 1 bike set up or for RTW either a.................

XChallenge

640 KTM

Honda XR650R

would be pretty much bang on

You'll be please to know then that I've settled on the XR650R. :thumb

There is a pricey little gem available from XR stuff made by a Swiss company

Adie

XR stuff do a really smart one for £1k.....

The BRP is a great bike, only drawback i can see is they struggle to do more than about 40 mpg....

Now back on topic,

I rode a 690 against my XChallenge on the hograost rideout, over the same terrain.

First impressions are that the KTM feels a lot lighter (the paperwork quotes 20kgs), and top end power tears strips of the XChallenge. The 690 is the only bike that has had my eyes streaming with top end rush :D, however, it doesn't have the bottom end stability that the XChallenge has.

The 690 motor needs to rev, great if your riding for yourself, and you can keep some gas on all the time, but i'm not sure it would like tight trails, and pottering along behind smaller bikes, i have a funny feeling it would want to eat them!.

This is an area where the XChallenge really wins, the motor is a peach, and pulls smoothly from nothing. it certainly feels like it has more bottom end torque than the ktm.

While the lighter KTM should be easier to ride, i found the XChallenge a lot more confidence inspiring. I don't know if this is the extra weight (momentum will get you through?), or the simply fact that i have done a lot of dirt miles on my XC now- familiarity i guess....

The KTM certainly feels better built. The clutch and brake levers feel much tighter and more machined, as opposed to the standard bmw offerings which now flop about like floppy things on my bike (soon to be rectified)...

I'm currently torn between going for the 690 and/or keeping the XC.

The XC needs money spent on it, but it would take a lot of £'s to loose 20kg.s off it.

But by the time i've forked out and sorted the XChallenge, i could have bought a 690 anyway.

Ref used prices, it seems to be the way with some models. try buying a KTM 950 se now. a few years ago dealers couldn;t give them away, now they are back to near original purchase price...

Nathan

KTM 690

I had the 690 Enduro before getting my 950SE.

The 690 is a very versatile bike and you also have the benifit of being able to change the mapping to suit either the riding style or type of terrain.

I made a switch to mount near the bars so that it could be changed without having to lift the seat. (I have 2 left if anyone is interested).

I changed the forks for a set of EXC forks with stronger springs and it transformed the handling. (£50 off eBay, new seals and oil £20 and £50 for the springs.)

Also had the extra front tanks fitted to give an extra 100 miles or so distance.
Had the seat re-padded and covered for a bit more comfort.

Great allround bike.

Back
Top Bottom