mz madness

midnitemo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just bought an mz 250/1..being delivered today , i've been after an mz for ages..dunno why i wanted one! just did , the plan is to use it for my ride to work hack and winter rally steed , trouble is i know next to nothing about them so i was wondering if any tossers have got any useful nuggets of info for me...would like to put a lightweight chair on and maybe go over to the darkside...can a 250/1 be converted to a 301?...where do i get bulk 2t from?...which 2t?...is 50.1 sensible....needs a new seat...anybody know where to get one from?

thanks in anticipation Craig:bounce1

E Bay is your friend here. there are loads of spares there. No reason why you xant convert to a 301cc as the frames are the same. There should be a measuring cup on the inside of the tank cap to gauge oil,50 to 1 is right I think .I always fancied an early trophy with the long tank/light unit and handlebar indicators. A kid at school had one when I was 17 and it was kind of cool even then Enjoy:thumb2

I've had two Es 250s (long tank/lamp) a couple of Supa 5s and an ETZ250 and 125. The early engines could be likened to older BMs smooth n torquey newer ones not so nice. Yours will be 6v new 12v. Old will have 16" rear wheel new18".
A chair will be a challenge as a subframe would be required. A Jawa 350 is a much better tug, I had a 634 with a wee squire as well.

Sidecar002.jpg

Rung tung tung !

1977/8 on an r plate

The guy just phoned he's about an hour away , it's the model with 5 gears(supa 5 i think...but i don't recal there being 5 when i rode it!) just over 40,000 on the clock , pretty original and unmolested , seat has worn through and ripped , red with the low bars , it passed its mot with no advisories yesterday , it is a 6v model....can't beleive it i reckon i'm more excited than when i bought the gs/a!....what kind of mpg might i get , just bought a manual of fleabay but it won't get here for days

Get some anti slip matting on the seat. They don't call them old MZ tanks "Ball bashers" for nowt.

DAMIHK :augie

1978 250

Of course MZ's had ABS years before BMW's ever did :eek:

They're great :thumb

Best source of info would be the MZ Riders Club. Note the accent of 'Riders' as opposed to 'Owners'

Here's my dad, my kids and myself at a camping weekend a few years ago :rob

Still got mine :thumb
:beerjug:

Attachments

• The four Wheelers.jpg
    The four Wheelers.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,517
Try Morrisons for two stroke oil, £1.50 per litre bottle for quality stuff

They are great fun, and Burwins in london are great for spares, keep a spare plug with you.

I had a 250etz with front disc brake, it was one of the best bikes I have ever owned, used it to go to work in the mid 90's, would only do about 80 tops :thumb2

I think I used to get about 60mpg from mine. 80?..was the speedo needle doing the 40-80 dance:D They don't stop too well with the sls drum..looks like Mickys' bike has the honda 2ls conversion from a K4 etc. The later ETZ disk wheel sliders etc fit but the caliper was a poor copy of a brembo..however stoppies were possible. A friend recently acquired a Supa 5 had been in a shed for 30 years. It only had 2000miles up. All it took was a carb clean, new plug, battery and away it went!

its arrived

its even better than i rembered , how simple and robust , there,s a few premier brands that could learn a thing or two from mz's quality control and finish...you guy's with experience of the pre mix models...is 50.1 ok or should i put a little more 2t in?(40.1 perhaps)...just seems to lean..are all the keys for the 70's models identical? i cant believe it 33 years old and the only corrosion is on the downpipe!

its even better than i rembered , how simple and robust , there,s a few premier brands that could learn a thing or two from mz's quality control and finish...you guy's with experience of the pre mix models...is 50.1 ok or should i put a little more 2t in?(40.1 perhaps)...just seems to lean..are all the keys for the 70's models identical? i cant believe it 33 years old and the only corrosion is on the downpipe!

I run mine on 50.1 unless i cock the measuring up and then run it on whatever.1 (Doesn't seem to mind when i forget how much i've measured) :D

All keys are the same; nobody else will be able to start it unless they have mastered the proceedure :clap

mine is 30 year old and will outlive my new BMW :hide

Had my seat frame powder coated and seat rebuilt by Tony Archer www.tonyarcher.co.uk - i think it cost about £45 all in (will check to see if can find invoice and post a picture of seat (main pic is before seat sorted) :bow

As said by others MZ club and Burwins spot on

have you restored the 250 it looks fantastic...mines a bit more lived in but still incredibly sound..and i'm only the 3rd owner

Yes; it's had a complete overhaul most of which was done by previous owner who did a first class job - to be honest if i got another, and i probably will (strangely adictive these ring tins) i would be happy to have one that had a lived in feel and just enjoy it.

They have grin factor - most strange but you will grin when running sweetly:D

ps. the other mz is a 660 single (yamaha engine) - just got that a couple of weeks ago.

cheap cheap motoring:clap

I run mine on 50.1 unless i cock the measuring up and then run it on whatever.1 (Doesn't seem to mind when i forget how much i've measured) :D

All keys are the same; nobody else will be able to start it unless they have mastered the proceedure :clap

mine is 30 year old and will outlive my new BMW :hide

Had my seat frame powder coated and seat rebuilt by Tony Archer www.tonyarcher.co.uk - i think it cost about £45 all in (will check to see if can find invoice and post a picture of seat (main pic is before seat sorted) :bow

As said by others MZ club and Burwins spot on
What is the starting procedure/ritual cos i'm having a right old time getting mine to fire up in the morning? there's a good spark ,fuel getting through , plugs a nice colour....!

...throw all the bearings away...and put decent quality ones in..then it really will last.....had one for years ....mate rode it to Spain alongside a 100GS...I think he had the more comfy trip....:D

have you restored the 250 it looks fantastic...mines a bit more lived in but still incredibly sound..and i'm only the 3rd owner
:postpics

So let's have a look at this new acquisition.........

I remember a guy at work had an MZ ETZ250, he used to start it up and then the rest let him go home early as they hated the noise and plumes of blue 2Stroke smoke:aidan

Power: 17.00 HP (12.4 kW)) @ 5200 RPM

Back
Top Bottom