Key for 1150gs - 2002

Can the key be copied? or is it chipped?
BMW or Asda?

As far as I know, it's the same as my 1100 - i.e. bog standard, no chip.

I just had a couple cut at a local Timpsons - make sure however that they have the right blank - the first ones I had done were crap as they ground a 'near fit' thinner.

It's not chipped, so I assume it can be copied. Getting a blank might be a problem however.

To get a new key you need the chassis number - give it to the dealer and they can order you a new set (assuming the original tumbler). Not inexpensive mind you...

I ended up trying two shops. After the first crap job, the second shop had the correct blank. It's nothing special - apparently the same blank is shared by lots of cars of a similar age. However they weren't the small 'bike key style' grip - for those you'll need to buy blanks from Motorworks as noted above.

my local locksmith has the correct blanks. Try yours and see...

Keys

No probs the rubber bit came off mine and now has a coin afixed to turn it with, did have a spring but it went rusty 'cos the oil leaked out but all works well.
Dave (with a spring in his step (toe?) GS

My local key cut place got the blanks in 24hours and cut me two copies for £9.00 all in...... result.... he had a "big book of blanks" looked up R1150GS and ordered it on the phone..... bingo...as i understand it this is cheaper then Motorworks...

There's nothing particularly special about these keys. I would be very surprised if a good locksmith or even a local Timpson didn't have an appropriate blank.

Motorworks etc can supply blanks and then a local key cutter can cut it for you. Get a spare spare too for the next GS:thumb

Back
Top Bottom