250 Virago to 883 Sportser

GSless Girl

Reaction score
I like having my feet firmly flat on the ground I've out grown the Virago 250. I love the Virago but its a bit of a struggle to keep up with my other half on his GS1200 when we go for a spin. I took a test drive on an 883 today the fuel injected new model. Its the right height and weight for me. Fitted me like a glove. I know nothing about these, should I stay or should I go......:nenau

very good bikes they handle well for a lump of iron and go OK if you ring its neck. i started on a 883 then i fitted a 1200 kit with a ss super g carb and feck me it flue.my sis now has it.:thumb2 this was belgium

Attachments

• IMG_1907_28.JPG
    IMG_1907_28.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 225
Hi Nobby,
Thank you for your advice and photo, I checked out my insurance today and its not to bad to change over. I'm more or less 100% made up its right for me now but i need to have a proper road test to make sure. Before the virago I had a 650gs although a great bike it was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made in buying it. It was the totally wrong bike for me. The sportser is the right weight and height and feels right for me.

Hi Nobby,
Thank you for your advice and photo, I checked out my insurance today and its not to bad to change over. I'm more or less 100% made up its right for me now but i need to have a proper road test to make sure. Before the virago I had a 650gs although a great bike it was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made in buying it. It was the totally wrong bike for me. The sportser is the right weight and height and feels right for me.

What about the R version? 883R.

Black engine etc is much easier to clean. :rob

I must say .. I make the thing even cooler :D
DSC00061.jpg

go for it jo,i think a sportster would suit you fine (just dont go buying any chaps :D)

The sportser is the right weight and height and feels right for me.

There's your answer right there Jo. If it feels right for you then ultimately that's all that matters. Go for it. We won't slag you. Much.

Oh alright then. We're gonna slag the feckin arse off ya. :p

:D:D

Buy one, if you find it's not quite right after all, you can sell it and get something else. Life's to short not to have fun :thumb2

For 2 days i watched this thread on the hour every hour to see would you lot give me any advice. Nobby was on quick enough and now the Irish section has woken up lucky meeeeeeeee :tears

go for the 883r, great bike and can be played with very easy. i had one a year or so back and do miss it but im happy with the GSA :)

the 883r have twin discs, but i would say the first mod should be the better front folk springs. ohh and try get a screamin' eagle pipe on it (not to loud, but a great sound)

p.s if you do end up getting a 883 or 883r, drop me a pm and il have a look in the garage and try and dig out some old bits i had, and i'll post you them...:beerjug:

go for the 883r, great bike and can be played with very easy. i had one a year or so back and do miss it but im happy with the GSA :)

the 883r have twin discs, but i would say the first mod should be the better front folk springs. ohh and try get a screamin' eagle pipe on it (not to loud, but a great sound)

p.s if you do end up getting a 883 or 883r, drop me a pm and il have a look in the garage and try and dig out some old bits i had, and i'll post you them...:beerjug:

Thank you, look like I'll be going for 883L its a used bike. '09 ex demo school bike 500kms on clock, no deal done as yet so who knows.

I'm not sure whether you've done the deal or not, or whether you're on a budget for the bike/insurance etc but, if you can, go for a 1200. There's absolutely no difference between the 883's and the 1200's weight wise but the extra CC's make a lot of difference on the road, i.e. cruising speed/mid-range power and this, in turn, makes them easier to ride. Less down-shifting for overtakes,hills and so on. Also worth bearing in mind are the Custom versions of the Sportster,these have slightly larger fuel tanks and the 21" front wheels along with a bit more chrome to polish.:)

I've had a few Harley's including an XL1200S and this FLHT, sold last June.:D

Attachments

• P1000517.jpg
    P1000517.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 138
Don't write off a big twin. You can very easily and cheaply drop the ride height on a Dyna. There are kits that just move the suspension mounting points or you can get shorter suspension. That way you end up with a big twin engine and a low seat :cool:

Attachments

• 35th Anniversary Dyna #1.jpg
    35th Anniversary Dyna #1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 119
883L

Me new bike :aidan
thanks everyone for their input over the last week :thumb2

Attachments

• new bike.jpg
    new bike.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 109
Very nice.
Enjoy yourself on it and look where you're going, NOT at your reflection in department store windows.:)

Back
Top Bottom