Going lighter

nedkelly

Hi 450 boys - I'm an 800gs rider who is going offroad more and more, and the guys I'm out with are KTM 450/250 boys. I can do 70% of the stuff they do, but not the very heavy or steep stuff, and I work twice as hard!

So, thinking about a lighter bike for whupping their asses, and wondered about BM 450X - can you please give me views on -

- what it's like to own & run
- how does it go against orange men
- where do I get a 2nd hand one

Any input gratefully received.........Thanks

Hi 450 boys - I'm an 800gs rider who is going offroad more and more, and the guys I'm out with are KTM 450/250 boys. I can do 70% of the stuff they do, but not the very heavy or steep stuff, and I work twice as hard!

So, thinking about a lighter bike for whupping their asses, and wondered about BM 450X - can you please give me views on -

- what it's like to own & run
- how does it go against orange men
- where do I get a 2nd hand one

Any input gratefully received.........Thanks

Only recently got mine which was bought as an approved used bike through a BMW dealer.

I'm not the worlds most experienced offroader but I've been very impressed with it, bar a couple of teething problems that are now hopefully sorted. The problems I had were a cracked sidestand and a problem with a connector.

It's certainly quick enough though the seat is like a plank of concrete only harder! You do get a speed warning if you do a constant 70ish which if you do for long enough (about 30 seconds) apparently voids chunks of the warranty.

Tank is only about 8 litres, so on low power reckon on looking for fuel after about 60 miles, depending how fast you're pressing on. Going steady on-road I get about 45-50. mpg.

Servicing is every 10 hours, with a big inspection every 70 hours. Mine had had the 70 hour service done early before I got it, apparently everything was in spec. Official BMW service parts (oil and air filters) come to around £25 and it takes about a litre of oil.

The suicide stand appears to be a cheese straw painted with silver paint. They can be modified not to flip up but given how easily they crack with any load on them I've left mine to self-retract.

Performance-wise I've nothing similar to compare it with other than my old TTR250 but it certainly goes well and stops well!

got one for sale if you re interested

2009 59 reg
60 hours - 1550 miles
speedbrain graphics

had all recalls done. serviced after every ride.

£4500 for bike or £4750 with brand new boxed wheels, spare spokes, new spare chain and sprockets, bar raisers, fork bleeders, new spare brake disks, handle bars etc.

Thanks for replies guys, I am also looking at G650X Challenge as a bit of road work would be attractive too. So stlll not sure which way to go.
Probably not buying for a few weeks anyway so please go ahead with you plans to sell.

Cheers

There was also a 450X within 35 miles of Hertfordshire on biketrader (autotrader) on a 08 plate for £3200 this week.

My preference would be to go 650x challenge, ive had a ktm 525 and got fed up with servicing after every ride and uncomfortable seat whilst on road, ive ridden the xc same places i used to ride the ktm and it has never failed or let me down, there are also a couple for sale at reasonable money on this site at the moment, normaly hard to find:thumb, do it you wont regret it:thumb

Back
Top Bottom