Braided hose on single disc R80GS

Cheesy Mike

I've decided to fit a braided hose on the R80GS then possibly follow with a cast iron disc and then even new calipers, but first things first....

The hose on the GS has a standard banjo at the brake cylinder end but then it goes to a funny junction in the mudguard where it joins with a solid brake pipe that goes down to the caliper.

Anyone know what type of fitting I need to ask for on the end of a braided hose for this setup? Or should I be replacing the solid pipe and simply take the braided hose all the way to the caliper?

I have Nippy Norman looking into it for me but in the meantime if any of you have already crossed this bridge....

Photo attached showing junction on mudguard and solid pipe to caliper.

Attachments

• img_1904_1_1.jpg
    img_1904_1_1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 270
Mike O said:
Oooh - is it the 80's birthday Mike?

No it just scares me witless every time I squeeze that right hand lever!

Mike

Those with even greater knowledge than me will tell you at the time you're replacing the brake line to remove the solid pipe and go braided all the way through from lever to caliper. Haven't done it myself yet as mine was done before I got it and there's nowt wrong with it. Or rather it is performing to spec - there is a LOT wrong with it :yikes

Cheesy Mike said:
No it just scares me witless every time I squeeze that right hand lever!

Mike
Try using it more than once every six weeks - you need to aclimatise to the joys of an airhead and get used to using the gear box (the one truly effective break) to control the bike - that lever on the handlebars? Its just for show :D

judge said:
you need to aclimatise to the joys of an airhead and get used to using the gear box (the one truly effective break)

I've seen what it costs to replace that one truly effective brake - which is why I'm not to keen on using it too heavily!

Mike

Relace the whole length with one braided line, £16 of top of my head ? (search on site, there's a good cheap alternative out there).
If considering 2 up loaded travel you NEED the upgrade, unless you travel very slowly, or never get unexpected surprises.
The standard set-up scared the sh*te of of me 2 up touring, £110 well spent - and excellent one up on twisties (add PFM iron disc - I haven't - and you're completely sorted)

Fitted a stainless line to my girlfriends Paralever airhead in December.

Bought the hose & fittings & assembled it myself. For the caliper end I used a QD swivel fitting, cost a couple of quid extra but worth it. No more hose alignment problems. Just bolt the hose to the m/cyl, route it how you want & screw the swivel fitting on to the double ended hex fitting that you've already fitted to the caliper. Total cost £31.00.

Have photos if needed?

Steve

First two photos show the caliper fittings - apologies for the crap photo quality.

There is a double ended hex fitting that screws in to the caliper via a copper washer. The braided line has a hex fitting on the end, in to which screws a swivel fitting. Once the line is connected to the m/cylinder, route it accordingly and screw the swivel fitting on to the exposed end of the double ended hex. As you tighten it up, hold the line steady with another spanner via the uppermost fitting.

4963157-M.jpg

4963156-M.jpg

I relocated the original solid pipe holder from the rear to the front of the fork & routed the line though it after lining it with a grommet. Added benefits are that you no longer need to worry about stressing the solid pipe & easier caliper/wheel removal & fitment. Allowed plenty of line for good routing.

4963155-M.jpg

You really need to get those weed's out asap !

ps = in % terms, how much extra length did you allow ? Roughly that is, not NLS standard !

i intended to replace the whole hose on mine as i couldn't see the point of having two pipes & an extra joint, but time was limited so i just bought a hose from motorworks that uses the original steel bottom section.

i later realised it is very hard to get a neat routing for the 1 hose method if you are using a banjo at the caliper end and was glad i went the 2 hose route.

looks like steve has found a neat way of doing it with one hose. not seen one like that before.
the swivel joint is a great idea as anyone who has fitted fixed end lines will attest i'm sure.

fritz is spot on regarding 2 up/loaded use with the standard calliper. it's just not up to the job. i'd be thinking about a 4-pot calliper or cast disc if you are carrying any weight.

ps. the motorworks hose is about 30 fecking quid too. but i was in a hurry :rolleyes:

oblertone said:
ps = in % terms, how much extra length did you allow ? Roughly that is, not NLS standard ! [/B]

Not sure how much extra I allowed for but I used about 120cm of braided line. Wrapped it in spiral wrap, nothings chaffing or getting caught anywhere.

Paragon said:

Do not buy a cheap braided hose - buy the best you can get, (within reason), with all the necessary TUV etc approvals.
Para

I bought my parts from a reputable supplier selling top quality stuff. They supply a lot of race teams. You only have to see what else they sell & have a look at the occassional race car on the premises to realise this.

Raceparts, in Wallingford, 15miles south of Oxford

01491 - 822000

Every part is on display, advice is freely given & prices are competitive.

If a single hose is correctly routed & assembled from quality components, I see no need to stick with the immovable solid pipe?

Just found this link: http://www.raceparts.co.uk/

Steve Pickford said:
I bought my parts from a reputable supplier selling top quality stuff. They supply a lot of race teams. You only have to see what else they sell & have a look at the occassional race car on the premises to realise this.

Raceparts, in Wallingford, 15miles south of Oxford

01491 - 822000

Every part is on display, advice is freely given & prices are competitive.

If a single hose is correctly routed & assembled from quality components, I see no need to stick with the immovable solid pipe?

Just found this link: http://www.raceparts.co.uk/
Steve, the whole world and his mother knows your decision was sound - but there are deranged people out there who insist on keeping dog-eared 25 year-old bikes standard no matter they don't function at all well and then take brand new, high performance machines and fit every accessory listed under the 'small willy' section of aftermarket-shite-are-us.com and blow their warranty at the same time :D

Paragon said:
Steve

I wasn't suggesting that you had bought cheap braided hoses - I was advising Mike not to

Para

I knew that already:) I was just confirming that quality gear can be had at reasonable prices.

Cheers

Steve

Mr Nippy himself just called me back and confirmed that both options are possible. I chose to do the hose all the way to the caliper. I'm not going to do the swivel mount - I can't see the point. How many bikes on the road have brake hoses directly from the handlebar to the caliper? Every bike maybe?

Next stop cast iron disk & new pads. Is Motorworks the best place for these?

regards,

Mike

Cheesy Mike said:
. I'm not going to do the swivel mount - I can't see the point.

Aside from the slightly easier installation alignment, the point of the swivel mount is that you can disconnect the caliper from the line without disturbing/replacing the copper washer.

Steve Pickford said:
Aside from the slightly easier installation alignment, the point of the swivel mount is that you can disconnect the caliper from the line without disturbing/replacing the copper washer.

Aaaaah, now I understand.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom