New G450X owner

Spitfire

Reaction score
Hello

Thought I would introduce myself.

New to this forum. Just put a deposit down on a 09 450x with low miles. I'm coming from a KTM200EXC which is a lovely bike but it was time to go 4T.

I tried a few 450's, the Berg was fantastic but too expensive, the EXC didn't really do it for me. Then an offer of a G450X came up. Must be honest it wasn't something I would have considered but the price was good and when I rode it I loved it.

Should pick it up soon.

If I may.... a few questions, I did have a look through the previous posts so sorry if I missed the answers.

1) Is it true its best not to use the full power mode with the OEM end pipe as this can destroy the CAT?

2) Is there an exploded parts list anywhere so I can get part numbers for bits to order?

3) Recommended hand guards/bark busters?

4) Is there a bar mounted switch kit for the 2 power modes?

5) Oil change/valve clearances.....OK to do? I don't have the service manual and I'm more used to 2 strokes so the valves are a new one. That said I do consider myself to be technically competent so I'm happy to do it.

Thanks and have a forum beer on me!

1) Is it true its best not to use the full power mode with the OEM end pipe as this can destroy the CAT?

2) Is there an exploded parts list anywhere so I can get part numbers for bits to order?

5) Oil change/valve clearances.....OK to do? I don't have the service manual and I'm more used to 2 strokes so the valves are a new one. That said I do consider myself to be technically competent so I'm happy to do it.

Yes you can run the full power plug with the standard can if needed but will see better results with an after market can

Parts are shown on the CD that comes with the machine.

I used Acerbis Rallye guards on all my bikes including the 450, they are robust and well made and always work well for me.

Valves do not seem to move much at all but are worth checking first time to establish a base line. Mine did not change significantly for the life of the engine.

I may have the 450 CD at home if you are stuck.

oh - welcome to the forum :)

EDIT - forgot to say I built my own switch but have a feeling that Speedbrain and/or Touratech now do one.

What abiut the EXC didnt do it for you? I love mine:thumb2

Thanks for the tips

>What abiut the EXC didnt do it for you? I love mine

I did a KTM try out day and rode the Berg and EXC 450. The Berg is amazing....handles like my 200EXC & very sexy, but they are expensive and hard to find second hand. Don't get me wrong the EXC was nice but it was something and nothing, it didn't excite me and I didn't gel with it. I'm sure if I bought one I would grow to love it but the G450 came up and was considerably less money than for the equivalent EXC.

Hello

Thought I would introduce myself.

New to this forum. Just put a deposit down on a 09 450x with low miles. I'm coming from a KTM200EXC which is a lovely bike but it was time to go 4T.

I tried a few 450's, the Berg was fantastic but too expensive, the EXC didn't really do it for me. Then an offer of a G450X came up. Must be honest it wasn't something I would have considered but the price was good and when I rode it I loved it.

Should pick it up soon.

If I may.... a few questions, I did have a look through the previous posts so sorry if I missed the answers.

Ive run mine on full power from day 1.

I put the 13t front sprocket on, much better.

Get an open pipe they sound great

Service manual, you should get it with the bike on CD, otherwise I can take a copy for you.

Oil change as easy as a ktm. (in fact easier)

one filter, two screens.

Important thing to do is make sure suspension is set up, there is a good guide somewhere on here, do a search you should find it.

The standard skid plate is puny, I replaced it with the oem alu one.

The side stand tread with care (much like a ktm one). they are flimsy. Drill and secure the plastic foot either with a self tapper or bolt. Otherwise it will soon go missing.

DO not under any circumstances log ont the speedbrain website with your credit card in your hand !!!!

Just to add to what the others have said, I've got Barkbuster VPS's fitted to my G450X and I've also uprated the bashplate to a Guard-It plate (both from adventure-spec.com).

Touratech do a power mode switch that fits onto the frame, they also sell a header heat shield as the header pipe can melt your right leg. Unfortunately my order for these items from the beginning of April is still somewhere in the void between Touratech Fatherland and Touratech Land of my Fathers :blast

As mentioned the CD you get with the bike should have a parts list on it, also the parts diagram is available online at the likes of www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com - I find that a bit easier to use. I've found parts availability generally very good for service kit and replacement sidestand parts :augie.

Talking of (sui)side stands my bike had been modified by the previous owner so that the sidestand did not automatically retract. Given that the sidestand seems to be made of a hollow cheese straw painted silver I think it's best left as originally intended as it definitely won't support the weight of the bike and average sized tosser.

In my experience it's definitely worth checking and loctiting a few fasteners, especially the top fastener for the silencer :augie

For info 'official' service parts (oil and air filter) come to around £25, and newbies to the forum are always encouraged to ask what oil they should use :pullface

Enjoy the bike!

Just to add to what the others have said, I've got Barkbuster VPS's fitted to my G450X and I've also uprated the bashplate to a Guard-It plate (both from adventure-spec.com).

Touratech do a power mode switch that fits onto the frame, they also sell a header heat shield as the header pipe can melt your right leg. Unfortunately my order for these items from the beginning of April is still somewhere in the void between Touratech Fatherland and Touratech Land of my Fathers :blast

As mentioned the CD you get with the bike should have a parts list on it, also the parts diagram is available online at the likes of www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com - I find that a bit easier to use. I've found parts availability generally very good for service kit and replacement sidestand parts :augie.

Talking of (sui)side stands my bike had been modified by the previous owner so that the sidestand did not automatically retract. Given that the sidestand seems to be made of a hollow cheese straw painted silver I think it's best left as originally intended as it definitely won't support the weight of the bike and average sized tosser.

In my experience it's definitely worth checking and loctiting a few fasteners, especially the top fastener for the silencer :augie

For info 'official' service parts (oil and air filter) come to around £25, and newbies to the forum are always encouraged to ask what oil they should use :pullface

Enjoy the bike!

Thanks

Great tips.

BTW....I'm an engineer.......I'm sure the oil type and qty is in the back of the owners manual where it normally is :rob :)

What I might ask is where to buy it cheap in bulk!

More questions to follow I'm sure!

cheers

BTW: Anyone want a KTM 200EXC ?

exc

how much? age photo please ,good old two smoke.

ktm

click on my user name to send me a pm thanks:thumb

click on my user name to send me a pm thanks:thumb

Tried that didnt work :-( Must be because I'm not a paid member......I might subscribe in a bit. So here are a few details.

about 150 hours.......complete rebuild at 110 when I bought it
Mostly green lanes asside from a few Enduroland events
new fork seals
new chain & sprockets
MOT/tax till end of sept
good pads and tyres
Gearbox oil done every few rides
Air filter every ride
really really clear well cared bike
FMF pipe
bash plate

If we can sort out an email adress I can send some pics tomorrow afternoon (its at my mates in Cambridge at the moment so I need to collect it)

I'm near Bury St Edmunds

£2250 ono

"Mostly green lanes asside from a few Enduroland events"

So are we going to see you at anymore Enduroland events, as i'm normally the only one on a G450x there :)

"Mostly green lanes asside from a few Enduroland events"

So are we going to see you at anymore Enduroland events, as i'm normally the only one on a G450x there :)

I shall be there although not sure I will be back until it gets muddy...so sept onwards :)

so....I picked the bike up last night, very nice although I have only ridden it a few miles on the road. Its done about 60 miles or 2 hours!

Got it straight in the garage and so far have done the following:

- Changed the oil and cleaned the screens
- Fitted the link for full power
- Fitted the 14T front sprocket
- Modified the light switch so it goes off
- Tweaked the suspension setting as recommended on this forum
- Removed the indicators

Tonight I'm going to fit some hand guards and when I can afford it I will fit a bash plate and new end can.

Have I missed anything ???

Cheers

Ride and enjoy :D though a softer seat might go on your shopping list if you need to do many road miles.

Back
Top Bottom