I can't be heard when using Bluetooth

Cornwallis

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me to get my Bluetooth to work properly. I hear the phone ring through the headset and when it connects I can hear the person at the end of the line. The problem is, they can't hear me.

I've been using an Autocom Active Duo for many years for passenger communications and have no problems hearing directions from the 660. I have the Autocom GPS isolation adaptor (part 2190) to enable me to use the Bluetooth.

I'll also mention that with bike to bike radios, I can hear my mate but he can't hear me. When I disconnect my radio from the Autocom and hand-hold it, he hears me with no problem.

Any thoughts very much appreciate.

comms

do you get feedback in your helmet when speaking? i.e. can you hear your own voice? If not check vox settings and position of microphone.

I use a Zumo660 with Starcom1-Digital .... have exactly the same problem you have!
My mic setup works 100% for comms with Pillion, as well as bike-2-bike via radio... so I know the mic is working.

When a call comes through - I hear them 100% but they cannot hear me...?

On the Zumo cradle there's a Headphone & Mic socket which connects directly to the Starcom via a cable system.

Will keep watching this thread for answer....

I use a Zumo660 with Starcom1-Digital .... have exactly the same problem you have!
My mic setup works 100% for comms with Pillion, as well as bike-2-bike via radio... so I know the mic is working.

When a call comes through - I hear them 100% but they cannot hear me...?

On the Zumo cradle there's a Headphone & Mic socket which connects directly to the Starcom via a cable system.

Will keep watching this thread for answer....

Same question:

How does your microphone connect to your Zumo?

What have you got plugged into the Zumo microphone socket?

Greg

Mic input volume to the 660 via an external input is fairly useless. I have the same issue in the car where I have a Garmin accessory mic plugged into the car cradle. It's fine when plugged into the cradle of either my nüvi 760 or SWMBO's 770 but it does next to nowt with the Zumo which seems to be optimised for Bluetooth comms and not much else.

That's also true for the sound output from the Zumo when it's in phone mode. I have a pair of small Philips speakers plugged into the 3.5mm stereo jack and use these on both the nüvis where they work very well to provide better quality and volume. They're also fine with the Zumo in routing mode but not so good in phone mode which suggests that it's a software issue rather then a low powered amplifier in the GPS unit.

I've raised the issue on Gamin's in-house forum and typically had no response from them.

As far as I can see, the Starcom1-Digital has no microphone signal output.

To get the phone to work, you need to either Bluetooth the phone to the Starcom directly, or Bluetooth the phone to the Zumo and Bluetooth the Zumo to the Starcom. Plug the dongle into the phone lead socket on the Starcom.

If you're listening to music from the Zumo, get a stereo Bluetooth dongle.

Greg

Same problem here, however I have only had an issue with the 660, both my old 550's worked perfectly with exactly the same setup :blast

The phone is paired (Bluetooth) with the Zumo660, the Zumo then has a lead (provided by Starcom for the Zumo) that plugs into the 'Phone' input on the Starcom (Digital for me).

I can hear the other person, I can use the bike-to-bike comms, I can listen to Satnav instructions and the MP3 player on the Zumo, but try to transmit audio and it sounds like I'm underwater!:nenau

My next option is to try and add a suppresor to the Zumo supply as it could well be that it is an interferance problem, either across the two (like Autocom's get) or just the combination is getting hit by the RF from the bike.

I've got mine fitted where the ABS would normally be under the tank.

My next option is to try and add a suppresor to the Zumo supply as it could well be that it is an interferance problem, either across the two (like Autocom's get) or just the combination is getting hit by the RF from the bike.

Just try it off the bike powering the Zumo off its battery. I'd hazard a guess that it'll be just the same and therefore show that it's not an interference issue.

Well, there's been some progress, but not as much as I'd like. I phoned Autocom/Starcom today and it looks like I was using the wrong hole!! Yes, I hear you say, an easy mistake but one we often try for accidentally on purpose. I followed the diagram and plugged my GPS isolation adaptor into the GPS socket (Aux 3) on the Autocom but I should have gone for the mobile phone socket (Aux 1). I can now speak using the radio as can Goosepilot and AndrewD, but no one can hear me when I speak on the mobile phone.

I have the two leads from the isolation adaptor connected into the sockets that are hard wired into the Zumo so it's now as per instructions. Garmin customer support will be my next port of call.

i had the same prob.put the filter box thing on with two leads and it works all ok now.one lead was for mic and other for speaker on the 660.i think greg masters had one for sale a couple days/weeks ago.the info i tell you is want autocom told me:beerjug:

Just try it off the bike powering the Zumo off its battery. I'd hazard a guess that it'll be just the same and therefore show that it's not an interference issue.

Won't work as the audio connections for the Zumo to the satarcom are through the powered shoe.:blast

I can make calls if I stop the bike and switch off, so it's an RF breakthrough issue I think.:(

Same problem here, however I have only had an issue with the 660, both my old 550's worked perfectly with exactly the same setup :blast

The phone is paired (Bluetooth) with the Zumo660, the Zumo then has a lead (provided by Starcom for the Zumo) that plugs into the 'Phone' input on the Starcom (Digital for me).

I can hear the other person, I can use the bike-to-bike comms, I can listen to Satnav instructions and the MP3 player on the Zumo, but try to transmit audio and it sounds like I'm underwater!:nenau

I've got mine fitted where the ABS would normally be under the tank.

After numerous emails to Starcom about the problem - I received "this" response:

If it’s a digital unit reset processor. If not could be cable issue. :augie

Unfortunately the mic & headphone socket is part of the cradle........... HOWEVER I have checked the ZUMO (my Zumo is wired directly to the battery) with the bike off.
Ran the ZUMO on battery and then it seems that my cellphone does indeed work.

So it does indeed seem as if there may well be massive RF interference!!!

So with the Starcom1 mounted underneath the seat, taking the place of the toolkit..... seems I'll have to find an alternative mounting place, but running the cables is what's going to be the problem.

What pisses me off is that the normal Comms and Radio works perfectly.... must be Bluetooth interference ........ damn does the crap never end? :(

I've just been on the phone (not via the Zumo!) to Garmin and the best they could offer was to suggest updating the software for my phone and the 660. I really can't be arsed doing that with no guaranteed return so I think I'll try my daughter's new phone and see how I get on with that. The saga continues.............

After numerous emails to Starcom about the problem - I received "this" response:

If it’s a digital unit reset processor. If not could be cable issue. :augie

Unfortunately the mic & headphone socket is part of the cradle........... HOWEVER I have checked the ZUMO (my Zumo is wired directly to the battery) with the bike off.
Ran the ZUMO on battery and then it seems that my cellphone does indeed work.

So it does indeed seem as if there may well be massive RF interference!!!

So with the Starcom1 mounted underneath the seat, taking the place of the toolkit..... seems I'll have to find an alternative mounting place, but running the cables is what's going to be the problem.

What pisses me off is that the normal Comms and Radio works perfectly.... must be Bluetooth interference ........ damn does the crap never end? :(

Mine is where the ABS would be, so it looks like it's just a rubbish system. I'm going to power it from another 12v supply and try again (mine is perm live from battery too). If not it's not fit for purpose!:(

I've just been on the phone (not via the Zumo!) to Garmin and the best they could offer was to suggest updating the software for my phone and the 660. I really can't be arsed doing that with no guaranteed return so I think I'll try my daughter's new phone and see how I get on with that. The saga continues.............

We seem to be in the same boat here..... I also suspect that the ZUMO is the problem.... but then should have expected it as the 660's had huge Bluetooth problems with the first batch... and mine was purchased in May 2009!

Tried using 3 other phones - all the same issue, although one of them connected to the Zumo faster...............:blast

I have been having the same issue with a Zumo 550 connected via cable to a Starcom1 Dig. The cable was also purchased from Starcom and is the isolating version. The cable was run under the tank cover but I think some how picking up noise.

I had one Bluetooth module to connect the wife's phone into the system, and decided to remove the cable and try the Bluetooth from the Zumo to Starcom1.

Works great now !! Just need to order another Bluetooth module

Guys - a though just occurred to me and I might well be farting into the wind here.............

BUT maybe the problem lies with the Zumo's extension cable from the cradle. Maybe "it" needs to be shielded as the Starcom1 cable is....? :augie

Connecting phone to Autocom via Zumo 660

There are two ways that you can do this so the phone works correctly via the Zumo 660.

1. Hardwiring the Zumo to Autocom - you should connect the Zumo audio output to the Autocom music input either directly or, preferably, using an isolator. The input plugs into the 'music' input on the Autocom (models may vary). However, you must have the microphone output connected to the Zumo audio input or your voice will not be heard. Depending on your Autocom model various wiring options may be available.

2. Bluetoothing the Zumo to the Autocom. The Zumo can be hardwired for best music quality and Bluetoothed for phone connectivity. Plug a Bluetooth dongle (Starcom BTM-01/01A/01B or similar) into the Aux or phone socket of your Autocom and bond the Zumo to the dongle. Then set the Zumo to route phone calls via Bluetooth and music via the hardwiring. Instructions on how to set your Zumo can be found on the Chainspeed site here.

Greg

Attachments

• zumo660.JPG
    zumo660.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 188

Back
Top Bottom