mz 250/1 starting procedure

midnitemo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all
Am having trouble starting my 250/1...i beleive there is some starting ritual....can somebody let me in to the secret cos my kickstart boot is wearing through...good spark fuel getting through , nice biscuit brown plug!

Kick Start Technique -

The starting technique for most two-stroke MZ's is as follows:

Turn choke on (But leave ignition turned OFF).
Kick bike over twice.
Turn choke off.
Turn ignition on.
Firmly kick bike over.
It should now start.

If you flood the bike by kicking it continously without starting it you should turn the petrol off and open the throttle fully before attempting to kick it over. When kicking it over the excess fuel is expelled until the mix
is sufficient to start. Remember to turn petrol back on once this happens - Wilf Green m/c's (the old UK importer)

Suggest pushing the kickstart slowly until it is *just* past the point of maximum resistance (TDC), releasing it and then Kicking Hard

(Details purloined from MZ Riders List)

HTH

Phil:aidan

Not ridden an MZ for a good few years but I learned to ride and took my test an an ETZ.

Day of first lesson, the instructors have talked us through all the CBT bollocks and shown us the school bikes. I get the only MZ. 10 minutes of frantic kicking, sweating, swearing and much p**s taking by the instuctors later someone takes pity on me and shows me how to fire it up.

For that bike, ignition on, kill switch off. Full choke, two kicks, then kill switch on, and one more kick. Engine starts.

The starting procedure for that b****r is still ingrained in my mind nearly 20 years later.

Back
Top Bottom