Non Starting problems

Baldrick2

After all the talk of reliability on the thread below....... I now have a problem!!

Can't get the bike to fire up & have flattened the battery twice now. Turns over no problem but just doesn't want to fire up.

Stop pushing the starter button & the fuel pump noise is heard ater 20 - 30 seconds so looks like this is working. Checked all the other obvious reason - fuel etc but all seem OK

Anyone else had any starting problem or idea of where to look first before I get the spanners out!!!!!??????

Cheers
Mark

PS Also got a leaking fork seal - but other than that until this weekend she's been 100% relaible & great fun!

I presume you've checked you're getting a spark?

If all else fails it's worth checking the state of the engine loom to front loom connector located on the left hand side above the big diagnostic connector. I had a (different) starting problem that was put down to corrosion on one of the pins on this connector.

i have had this problem since day 1.

been back at dealers now for past 3 weeks

My X Challenge went back to BMW to have a new battery fitted under warranty, my bike had a starting problem also and a new battery sorted it.
Talking to the technicians at BMW they reckoned that it was the whole BMW range that was affected by dodgy batteries, from the GS1200 to the G450.
Maybe worth a phone call.

After all the talk of reliability on the thread below....... I now have a problem!!

Can't get the bike to fire up & have flattened the battery twice now. Turns over no problem but just doesn't want to fire up.

Stop pushing the starter button & the fuel pump noise is heard ater 20 - 30 seconds so looks like this is working. Checked all the other obvious reason - fuel etc but all seem OK

Anyone else had any starting problem or idea of where to look first before I get the spanners out!!!!!??????

Cheers
Mark

PS Also got a leaking fork seal - but other than that until this weekend she's been 100% relaible & great fun!

Fuel pump? - had mine done under warrantee. It's a resonably common issue and goes without warning.

Took BMW 3 hours to figure it though - they though it was the ignition pickup on the crank at first cos it partially fired most times.

got this bike a while ago it's been sitting around doing nothing since 2008 in BMW off road school, so I thought I'd give it a home. It's been servcied by local BMW dealer to me. I charged the battery, fine, start the bike fine.

run for about 30 miles, stop try to restart Nada, Nichts, Zip all, Nowt, diddly F-all..... leave it for a while... 30-40 mins bike starts fine....

Measured the charge of the battery just after stopping, 13.8V measured the battery on start up 11.4-14.2V +/- and at fast idle much the same...

Are there trick sensors? over heating etc....engine cut outs?

or does the bike just need a 30 minute rest every now and then....:augie

I might have a look at the battery that's my most obvious guess as it's been sitting doing nothing. when it tries to start it does half a turn then stops, could it be the starter motor but it fine once it's had a rest... alternator? fuel pump...don't think so as it can't seem to turn the engine over.

Oh well guess I'll be taking the side panels off this arvo....:blast

Sorry to hear of your issues. This is exactly the problem I had with my G450X. Two BMW dealers could not find the cause of the issue (Park Lane & Bahnstormer), althought they did find a cracked crankshaft which was changed. I ended up telling BMW Financial Services to keep the bike and refund me, which they did, after playing a bit of hardball. Bahnstormer ended up buying the bike from BMW FS and I believe they sold it retail. The bike I had had Reg. No. AF58 TXJ. Not the same one is it by any chance?

not my one, I'm going out again this afternoon for a bit of Pikey tuning...:augie. there's no real fault I think it's more as it's been sitting doing nothing for nearly 2.5-3 years...

had the side panels off and a root about under there, see what's what everything seems to be there... there's nothing obvious...

your not the bloke I gave a cup of coffee to at last years D2D at about 03.00... while Duncan from Vines was with us at production tent....?

i had this problem in the wintertime, the temp sensor was broken...
after en new temp sensor(not the one that regulates the van, but the one that give info to the engine) never had a problem with it an more.

that's interesting I'll have a look at that... as the trash tuning this afternoon suggests it's a real fault with something broken/ not right...

:thumb2

i got a replacement 2010 bike as i rejected my lemon 09 with financial services. after a 3 month battle i got a brand new bike which so far has been good

the 2010 is much better than the 09 too.

i hope yours isnt my old one. it was sold on as far as i know. its a pig.

Back
Top Bottom