Thoughts on the 1150 after 2400 mile Tour

raginmund

Reaction score
1. Burned approx 100ml of oil every 1000 miles. Totally acceptable, even though checking it is a bit of a pain.

2. I never got the handlebar position right; too high and I got a horrible pain between the scapula, too low and it became a handful at walking pace due to losing leverage. Since I'm built like a bipedal tapir, I think I need some adjustable risers.

3. Braking was good, I learned to trust the front w/out conventional forks, and (I think) could release the brake just as it was about to lock. I've never had ABS on a bike, but I think it would have kicked-in on a couple of occassions. I'm still getting used to modulating the rear, as I have become lazy due to combined-braking on my last bike.

4. It's a wondrous bionic mule, but it's still a heavy bastard. I dropped it twice. And if you're a sweaty foreigner with a laid-down bike, it's embarassing when hot chicks pity you and their smug boyfriends have to help you out. Sometimes I thought the GS was just a rugged Deauville with street cred.

5. The little touches were very welcome when I was tired/cold/wet; preload adjuster on rear, and - much to my surprise - helmet lock. Luggage off and on easily, though a little bulky.

6. MPG was not so much influenced by load, but by aerodynamics at speed; 300-mile high speed run to Plymouth got 142 miles to reserve, while return journey in relaxed E mode at 65-75mph got 208 miles to reserve.

7. Pegs are just right for me - high enough to feel I can be aggressive, but I can also sit back and cruise. See tapir comment, above.

8. Stability was a plus, in all situations. I did a two day stretch that was up mountain backroads into Andorra, through twisties to Sort, and then sweeping a-road type riding across the N260 to Jaca in Spain (probably the best road I've ever ridden, linking to great sections of the N240). I know other bikes would have excelled at certain points, I'm not sure any other bike would have been worth the risk/reward ratio. And it was pleasant to rev out in the first four gears without the front wheel going skyward.

More as I think of it, or maybe some more abour gear and general stuff, if that's any use.

Guess that sums your 'thoughts' up:rolleyes:

:D I thought that comment would prick someone's ego, but actually I stand by it, in the sense of load-carrying, power-to-weight, and general utility. And I'm also kinda taking the piss out of myself, because I was also talking about dropping it.

Shock news... Ewan and Charlie plan RTW on Dullvilles... M&S to supply rally clothing:D

3. Braking was good, I learned to trust the front w/out conventional forks, and (I think) could release the brake just as it was about to lock.

are u riding the moto gp dafty :nenau:nenau you can stand this bike on it's nose fully laden without it breaking away or giving u a slack arsehole
i'm gonna bug out before i get myself banned from this site ... fuckin knob jockey :tosser:tosser:tosser:tosser:tosser:tosser:tosser

my guess is that you are a middle manager . probably concerned with health and safety in your organisation if you read something in black and white you think it's gospel . a wee tip . rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools .... what are your thoughts on this sir ??? prey tell , i'm intrigued

fuck this , i'm away to read fanums recent post ... a just dont know if i'm getting it . :blast:blast

Wow, I'm surprised by the reaction to my post tbh. Just thought I'd do a small bit on my feelings about the bike, which are 99% positive. I don't see why I'm suddenly a wanker. Oh well.

my guess is that you are a middle manager . probably concerned with health and safety in your organisation if you read something in black and white you think it's gospel . a wee tip . rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools .... what are your thoughts on this sir ??? prey tell , i'm intrigued

fuck this , i'm away to read fanums recent post ... a just dont know if i'm getting it . :blast:blast

My thoughts are that you're overeacting a bit, and your insults and gross assumptions about me and my life are a bit, well, creepy.

Fwiw, I usually don't make assumptions about a bike until I've done a few thousand miles on it. And if I was a rich managerial type I wouldn't be riding a 58,000 mile 9-year old 1150 would I?

Thank you ...

My thoughts are that you're overeacting a bit, and your insults and gross assumptions about me and my life are a bit, well, creepy.

... for airing your views, and don't worry about dropping it, we've all done that :augie

Check out Rox-Risers for just about the ultimate in adjustability.

As to the 'over reaction' from the idiot, fear not, he'll be all weepy once he's sober :cool:

... for airing your views, and don't worry about dropping it, we've all done that :augie

Check out Rox-Risers for just about the ultimate in adjustability.

As to the 'over reaction' from the idiot, fear not, he'll be all weepy once he's sober :cool:

Cheers, Rox seems to be the way to go.

As I said in post 1, I'm not sure any other bike would have done better. The 'drawbacks' are mainly to do with my size, as the bike is a bit too big for me when it's off-camber and tight. Spain was mostly flooded on the trip, with snow/hail/sleet and high wind. It was very hard to keep cheerful, so my comments about oil and luggage are also in that context.

I'm not a prude but...............

....... I really object to the language used by kirky1298 in his posts in this thread. We've always used asterisks, etc. to convey the words rather than write them in full, so why haven't the Mods picked up and censored this? :rob

says the guys thats got "Titty bars" as part of there sig line :augie oh the irony of it

True....... but like I said, I'm not a prude, I just feel there is a line between what is acceptable in public, (and this is a public forum), and what is acceptable between a bunch of mates talking together out of earshot of the general public.

By the way, if my sig line offends anyone, just let me know and I'll be happy to remove it.

On reflection, I'm bemused that I was accused of being a health & safety pr*ck by - a fireman.

One of life's ironies, I suppose..

Back
Top Bottom