Garmin 2610 a great unit.

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
As some of you know I have recently got myself a Nuvi550 which is a fantastic piece of kit which does exactly what it says on the tin.
But I would just like to say that IMHO the 2610 remains one of the best GPS units that I have ever used, the ability to customise it to do what you want and show what you need is brilliant, and has been taken away from users of the Nuvi.

The reason for my post is to let people know that the 2610 remains a great GPS and even if it is slightly slower to recalculate routes remains a very desirable GPS.

My tip for the purchase of a 2610 is to make sure it has at least V9 mapping. The price of the unit should be reflected by which mapping it has. Even though Garmin have stopped map updates for it, other alternatives are available. (But I have not tried them)

Voila, sorry if this is of little interest:blast

I absolutely agree!

The only reason I bought a Zumo is because the 2610 mapping can't be upgraded from v9 - and that's a real shame!

:(

Greg

sorry to rant (and hyjack) on my first post but i would love to agree.....but i cant use it?

i have bought it 2nd hand and unfortunately after 5 months i still cant use it as it was registered with original buyer. i cant get into the maps and it only has france postcodes on it even though it (supposedly) "HAS" eastern europe on it. i have tried and tried contacting garmin and after numerous emails i am still nowhere with it...i have to say their customer support is rubbish? :rolleyes:

ps i have an V9 NT disc with it but i need another code for that aswell??

any ideas...pleeease xx. :nenau

sorry to rant (and hyjack) on my first post but i would love to agree.....but i cant use it?

i have bought it 2nd hand and unfortunately after 5 months i still cant use it as it was registered with original buyer. i cant get into the maps and it only has france postcodes on it even though it (supposedly) "HAS" eastern europe on it. i have tried and tried contacting garmin and after numerous emails i am still nowhere with it...i have to say their customer support is rubbish? :rolleyes:

idea 1
contact the person you bought it from and persuade them to notify garmin of the sale. Its not a problem with the 2610, its a problem with your purchgase arrangement, garmin support is usually very good so I am guessing that their apparent reluctance to help is due to the fact you are not the registered owner and maybe they suspect this unit is a "hot" one??
idea 2
only after completing #1#, contact garmin again and purchase the unlock code for the Mapping....if you can still get them (IIRC garmin may have stopped providing these when the 2610 went into unsupported age range)
:cool:

Well you have a couple of problems the first is that the NT discs use a compressed file format and it is not compatable with the 2610, it is for the later units like the 28XX and the BMW navigator III.
You need the NON NT version of the software, re registration of the softare to the unit, send me a PM, I can explain further.

I have to say I have a BMW nav II which is the 2820, and whilst it is nice to have the full postal code search, and you can route to POI's in every other way the software is nowhere near as good as the 2610. The speedo, trip milage, etc info is displayed in a much better way, the contrast and colour scheme is better.

the ability to customise it to do what you want and show what you need is brilliant, and has been taken away from users of the Nuvi.

That seems to be the problem with all GPS units now, they are built to be as simple as possible and have lost the option to customise. :(

I can't therefore see my 2610 or 2720 being replaced.

That seems to be the problem with all GPS units now, they are built to be as simple as possible and have lost the option to customise. :(

I can't therefore see my 2610 or 2720 being replaced.

I have to use the unit in 3D (Nuvi) as the colours in 2D don't allow me to see the small roads very well. No option to choose your own colour.:blast

Still I have the GPS60 which is old style customizable as well as the Nuvi:thumb

Hi T, the offer is still open. Hop on yer bike and come over to mine and I'll sort it all out for you. Email/call me first to arrange a suitable time/date.

I have a 2610 – my first impressions where that I found it initially a complicated bit of tech when compared to normal generic sat nav’s (tom tom & car types)

Its interesting to read Richies comments about how the unit is customisable, I’ve not noticed this so far – albeit I’m scared of messing with it too much and losing the ability for it to work.

One of the things that I would like to change is the dispay from a 2d setting to a 3d setting, and change the colour scheme but I’ve not been able to do this so far is it even possible ?

It would be interesting to hear what the main plus points to this unit and keeping hold of vs spending the extra cash and rather than going to the zumo instead – (Bluetooth connectivity and music storage aside) :nenau

Doc

Its interesting to read Richies comments about how the unit is customisable, I’ve not noticed this so far – albeit I’m scared of messing with it too much and losing the ability for it to work.

If memory serves, you can download a manual from Garmins website Doc, then have a try at getting your 2610 the way you want it. :thumb2

I have a 2610 – my first impressions where that I found it initially a complicated bit of tech when compared to normal generic sat nav’s (tom tom & car types)

One of the things that I would like to change is the dispay from a 2d setting to a 3d setting, and change the colour scheme but I’ve not been able to do this so far is it even possible ?

It would be interesting to hear what the main plus points to this unit and keeping hold of vs spending the extra cash and rather than going to the zumo instead – (Bluetooth connectivity and music storage aside) :nenau

Doc

Sorry but your going to disappointed on the 3d front, the 2610 can only display in lookdown 2d mode. You can change colour scheme from dark to bright or auto, dark is night time bright is day colours and auto will switch from one to the other automaticaly.
By customization its more the information that is displayed.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/StreetPilot2610GPS_OwnersManual.pdf

I'm still delightyed with my 2610, except my v7 maps are getting abit old!
Garmin won't sell me any updates now - are there any other options?
Can I buy second hand?
Does anybody have the rights to a second unlock code - I'll cross your palm with sliver - of something...

thanks guys....(and hi chas :D)

but so far...

i have registered it in my name and i have the unlock codes but the SP and i just cant seem to talk to each other.

ahh..shame about the NT disc but at least that can be eliminated from the equasion :blast

@bumpkin....i might HAVE to come and see you :thumb .

would an evening be ok or does that interfere with family time?

2610 a hard act to follow

In its day, it was hard to beat.

A rugged unit,designed for modern and adventure biking as was its earlier bro, StreetPilot III.

I recall a few years back when the last batch of production units were sold thru gps warehouse and I declare, that I have never seen 500 units fly out the door, so quickly, much was its popularity and success.

It's biggest downfall is it's useless at recording tracklogs, otherwise brilliant:thumb

I'm still delightyed with my 2610, except my v7 maps are getting abit old!

can somebody elses maps be downloaded on to card or something?...if so and bumkin sorts mine out :thumb2 v9 can be sent to you :comfort

In its day, it was hard to beat.

A rugged unit,designed for modern and adventure biking as was its earlier bro, StreetPilot III.

I recall a few years back when the last batch of production units were sold thru gps warehouse and I declare, that I have never seen 500 units fly out the door, so quickly, much was its popularity and success.

And probably down to the fact they were knocked down to £190 which helped a lot.:D

And probably down to the fact they were knocked down to £190 which helped a lot.:D

The demand as I recall :rob was 2:1 and there were more but never released :augie

You may find the odd member who'll admit to paying £1,000 for the original SPIII or 2610 when they arrived on the scene :D and needed to pay extra for the mount.

:rob oh, how times and technology has changed, now they whinge at £400 when a mount is put inside the box :rolleyes: or those that pay £50 at Lidl's on Saturday and call me Monday expecting miracles to be sorted :dabone

Back
Top Bottom