Clutch replacement masterclass.....

Badgerman

Reaction score
Right - After my dear wife has gone and spent all of my hard earnt cash, I have decided to attempt the clutch replacement myself and give the bike a good going over while I'm at it.

Thought I would try and post regular pictures of my progress and some of the problems I have come across.

I have taken off the tank, seat and removed the rear wheel and now would appreciate some advice on where to start to get the subframe pivoted up to the handlebars.

Appreciate all you help and guidance.

Jamie

Attachments

• IMG_8157.JPG
    IMG_8157.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_8158.JPG
    IMG_8158.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 527
Doing mine this week and me g/box bearings:eek

no probs.waiting on me bearings as soon as i get them i'll start.

Dissasembly is mainly a case of undoing the bottom bolts on the subframe, getting a ratchet strap attached from the sub to the handlebar area and then seeing what needs taking apart/removing to get it to swing up. If you think things through you will work out much of it yourself.

Also get a handy container for all the fixings and a healthy supply of cable ties for reassembly! If you work most of it through yourself then you will get the swing of it for other jobs and the BMW DIY mindset. With a bit of thought many of the jobs are perfectly do-able.

See also http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153714&highlight=gearbox+clutch for good pics and Steptoes/others wisdom:thumb

Day two.....well two hours after work!!

Got the subframe loose and romoved lots of anscillary parts, but can't seem to get the subframe over the airbox. Don't want to force it too much.....I know it's difficult, but can you suggest anything I might have missed?

I guess the subframe hinges over the airbox and it can just be removed?

Attachments

• IMG_8162.JPG
    IMG_8162.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_8163.JPG
    IMG_8163.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_8164.JPG
    IMG_8164.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 381
Have you removed the small black screw holding the rear of the airbox to the subframe?.Its just inside the airbox,under the lid,adjacent to the rear shock top mount.

Have you removed the small black screw holding the rear of the airbox to the subframe?.Its just inside the airbox,under the lid,adjacent to the rear shock top mount.

And also the 2nd set of bolts at the bottom of the subframe... It took me a short while to see them, duh...

If they have 'em on 1150's...?

Thanks guys.....I knew you would like the 'Masterclass' Steptoe - watch and learn (how to really f**ck things up!!).

Airbox out and subframe hung.....tune in later for tonights installment.

Only one thing broken at the moment.....went to try and get the breather pipe off the airbox and it came away in my hand. I hope i will be able to superglue the offending broken part.

Jamie

Have you strapped the centre stand the front wheel so that it doesn't roll off the stand when you are pushing the tranny back in?

Have you strapped the centre stand the front wheel so that it doesn't roll off the stand when you are pushing the tranny back in?

Oh yeah:D That one:augie Well worth the advice Badgerman...

If you're pushing the tranny back in, you might want to watch out for their high heels and see if you can strap them to the center stand too, just to be on the safe side. :augie

Back
Top Bottom