snapped key on an EXC

fozziegsa

Reaction score
Hi all i am looking at getting a EXC525. I had a look at one which was in pretty sound condition apart from a snapped key in the lock for the steering lock in the headstock tube. Anybody have any ideas how to get it out?

regards
Fozziegsa.

Its really easy to snap which is why you should never use it:blast Best way as above Drill it out and forget it. There are stories of KTM giving new Frames to EXC owners who have done this when the bike is near new as thats the only real cure I am told:eek:

Thanks for the replies. I shant worry then.

Anything else i need to look out for?
I was told that i shouldnt go by the computer on the dash as it can reset itself. The bike is showing 20 odd hrs and is in need of a service.:)

Fozziegsa.

Change the oil every 12 hours ,there is only a small amount in the gearbox and engine,check all fluids and use only reccommended oils. A check of pads etc is all thats needed easy bike to look after ,theres all sorts of stories of needinfg a total rebuild at 50 hours but if you change the oil regularly they last well :thumb2

Mine's approaching 300 hours & just starting to get a little noisy, all original piston, crank etc.

I don't race mine (400EXC), I change the oil & both filters every 25-30 hours along with check the valves & adjusting if needed, clean the mesh strainers every other oil change and deal with the air filter, plug & pads needed. Once a year I remove the swingarm & front end to clean & re-grease the bearings. I've replaced all the wheel bearings once in the 140-150 hours I've owned the bike for.

Thanks for the replies.
I am starting to find out more and more about these bikes.

This may sound like a stupid question, but do they all have a decompression lever fitted?

Fozziegsa.

Thanks for the replies.
I am starting to find out more and more about these bikes.

This may sound like a stupid question, but do they all have a decompression lever fitted?

Fozziegsa.

No They don't ,they are pretty easy to kick over but DO have an electric boot ,keep it on optimate and they start easily:thumb2

Thanks Robbo.
The one on an 05 plate had one but the 06 didnt. I appreciate that the plate may not correspond with the model of the bike, but i was a little confused to say the least. Why do some of them have it, and others not? They both were electric start.

Fozziegsa.

Back
Top Bottom