Custom Moulded Earplugs with Headphones

Shimster

Reaction score
Hi All

Bought a set of custom moulded earplugs with built in speakers from Advanced Communication Solutions through The MP3 Company recently, and got supurb service! The earplugs arrived today after a delay caused by ACS finding a problem with them during a Quality Check, but they are absolutely fantastic. The sound quality from such small 'things' is amazing. Don't get me wrong, you can get better with a set of over the ear headphones, but fitting them under the skidlid would prove difficult to say the least. :rolleyes:

And yes, they are expensive at about £160, but considering they fit your ear like nothing else and at the same time give a great sound, I personally think it's worth it.

Big shout to Paul from The MP3 Company for all the help and assitance he gave me :clap

I have 3 sets of the mouled ear plugs with filters from ACS that i use on the bike and at work around the aircraft.

I do fancy a set with speakers, but would like to know how well they last. Price is not to bad if they last ok.

Which ones did you go for?

Do they still act as proper ear defence and filter out the harmful exterior frequencie's or is it a case of one or the other, but not both?

Which ones did you go for?

Do they still act as proper ear defence and filter out the harmful exterior frequencie's or is it a case of one or the other, but not both?

Hiya

I got these ones...

http://www.themp3company.co.uk/prod...-ear-plugs-with-built-in-earphones-duocom.php

They're a great combination of both to be honest. I would wear them just as ear defenders even if I wasn't listening to any tunes. They really are good, and I'm a fussy sod! :cool:
As you can see from the description on the website they were developed using technology from MotoGP and F1, so that says a lot I think.

Shimster

Be careful with in ear speakers

I am now on my third set of in-ear speakers. I started with the Duocoms which are actually a very good product, the only problems is that the wire going into the plug is very small and will eventually come away. The plugs themselves are very comfortable and small so they never catch on your helmet. When they do need repair you can send them in but I had a very bad customer experiences with them.

I then tried some Ultimate Ear and these have also just gone back for repair as one of the cables is starting to come out. I do treat them very carefully but its so easy to catch them.

I now have some ear plugs which are just tubes going into your ear and the sound is amplified to them from a box that further down the wire. Hence all that can pull out is the tube and you pop it back in. The only problem with these is they can pick up outside window noise and the sound quality is no where near as good as a duocom.

I use mine very regularly and they seem to last about 18mths before needing repair.

I'm on my second set of Ultimates...only because I lost the first set just before a trip:tears...they are now "beefier" than before, but I feel they fit just as well..or better.... "cord" and connections now much stronger than original... and guess what?...I found my old set about 20 minutes after the new ones turned up.....Doh! They are, rough guess, five years old..or more…

Word of advice..make really, really sure you have no wax build up..my Local health centre nurse did the business... wax removal that is.. after using Otex.... don't plan on riding/driving straight afterwards though...:D

I have a pair of ACS monitors too, really great stuff, excellent service and after-care, after 10,000 miles and 8 months use still perform superbly.

Had a pair of UE ones , but they fell apart after 6 months, did eventually get replaced but the customer service was woeful, both with these and my plugs.

Just received my custom plugs from Ultimate Ear in Kent.

Got the ones with 'phones in for the bike and a set of plain, filtered ones for work. Both sets seriously block out noise. And I mean SERIOUSLY.

The quality of sound when listening to music off my Zumo 550 or iPhone is incredible. It really is in your head and with the background noise blackout (or maybe soundout?), there is nothing but the music.

They also sort your Scala unit out too.

And the gaffer is a Tosser too ! :) (Cheers Andy)

Can't recommend them enough. :thumb2

Also took 2 minutes to bluetooth to my phone and GPS.

Dave

11-02-18002-1.jpg

The size of the DIN plug looks big to fit under a helmet. Does it really sit comfortably with no pressure from the side of the helmet? What would happen in a crash if the side of your helmet got hit? Would they need to be surgically removed?:blast

Our original intercom was a wonderful gadget called 'Backchat' which I bought for £50 at the BMF Rally. It was a pair of tubes that linked the ears of the rider to a microphone for the pillion and vice versa. Dead simple and all the bits that went under the helmet were made of soft plastic. Many years later when I had cause to send it back for repair because of air leaks the bloke making/selling it explained that helmets achieve their approval ratings etc when tested for fitment over a human head and that adding anything metal to their interior negates the approval. He said that he had had his gadgets tested to ensure that they didn't affect the test status etc of helmets and they didn't. Whether he was spinning me a tale I can't say - I already used the Backchat so didn't need convincing of their effectiveness.

Richard

I have a pair of ACS monitors too, really great stuff, excellent service and after-care, after 10,000 miles and 8 months use still perform superbly.

Had a pair of UE ones , but they fell apart after 6 months, did eventually get replaced but the customer service was woeful, both with these and my plugs.

Bought a pair of Ultimate Ear earphones with built-in speakers at the NEC.
Brilliant until they stopped working!
Returned under warranty to Ultimate Ear who refused to honour the warranty as the defect "was caused by ear wax" !!!!!!!
Surely it is not reasonable for in-ear earphones to be adversely affected by ear wax as one would expect ear wax to be present in the ear ?

First they blamed the ear wax but following my protestation, they changed their story and spuriously claimed that the defect was not repairable under warranty but would be sorted after I made a 'goodwill payment' ???

I tried cleaning them with the tool supplied before returning them.

Despite several emails, they have refused to budge and now I am seeking redress through the Small Claims Court.

The mind boggles as to why a 'reputable' company would risk adverse publicity as a result of such shoddy customer service. They are now refusing to return the earphones even though they are my property.

Will keep you posted on the progress of this matter through the County Court but please consider alternative manufacturers before purchasing a product from Ultimate Ear

Any more news on this Ultimate ears' cra--iness? :blast

I'm looking to get a custom moulded set of monitors too and currently tempted to use ACS - http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=288

They are very near too, is it useful to actually come into their office to look and feel the various models or is ordering by post just as good?

There are good reviews earlier in the topic, has anyone used ACS recently?
If so, which option did you go for?

Thanks to all!! :beerjug:

I'm looking to get a custom moulded set of monitors too and currently tempted to use ACS - http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=288

They are very near too, is it useful to actually come into their office to look and feel the various models or is ordering by post just as good?

There are good reviews earlier in the topic, has anyone used ACS recently?
If so, which option did you go for?

Thanks to all!! :beerjug:

Try these: http://www.earfuze.com/

I have a pair of the red/blue motorsport items. Very good units and good backup. When the rubber cracked on one earpiece I was sent a replacement by return.

I don't use my current set at present because I made them before buying my current helmet which presses slightly on my left ear. I think the thing to note is that you need to ensure that the moulded rubber protrudes as little as possible.

Oh, and for those of us blessed with hairy ear canals; try to remove as much as possible before the casting process!

HTH

Richard

Had mine since 2005. Still work as intended. And they've had some serious use over the years.

They get cleaned.
They don't get pulled from my ears by the wires.
And they're kept in the pouch that's supplied when not in use.

Had mine since 2005. Still work as intended. And they've had some serious use over the years.

They get cleaned.
They don't get pulled from my ears by the wires.
And they're kept in the pouch that's supplied when not in use.

Same ear, never had a problem with mine either :thumb

Back
Top Bottom