Swingarm bearing replacement

the beer hunter

Reaction score
I had a look around to see if there was any info on replacing swingarm bearings before I started this but couldn't find anything.
Changed mine this morning, here's a rough walk-through guide.

I noticed play earlier this week when I was reftting the rear wheel.
At 40 seconds the wear can be seen quite clearly..
<object width="450" height="338"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12580406&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=ff9933&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12580406&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=ff9933&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="338"></embed></object>

I won't tell you how to remove the swingarm, if that's a problem you may be best leaving this job to a dealer.
I left the linkages on (as the linkage bearings had been replaced earlier)
If the pivot shaft is tight be carefull not to peen the threads over when knocking it out because if you do the shaft won't pass through the bearings/spacers.
I just backed the nut off a few turns & hit it with a copper hammer to get it moving - came out OK.
P6180001.jpg

Once the swingarm was off it was apparent where the problem was, one side was black grease, the other was rusty brown.
P6180004.jpg

The pivot shaft just runs through a bush & this bush sits inside the roller bearing. All the wear was on the outside face of the bush & the rollers.
P6180005.jpg

Here's the new kit, All Balls part No. 28-1047 - about £45.
Those 2 thick gold washers actually go into the engine casing, the rest go into the swingarm.
P6180006.jpg

Just about see where these go, I left these as the pivot shaft was a good fit through the engine with no movement at all.
P6180008.jpg

OK, now the fun part - getting the bearings out.
There's a few ways to go about this, here's what I did.
Straight away I attempted to go right in & just attack the bearings with a hammer & drift - No way - too tight.
This method worked for me:
Fill a bucket up with hot water & put the swingarm in.
You may think that's not going to get it very hot but believe me when you take it out you can't hold it for long without it burning.
P6180010.jpg

Find a suitable sized washer/socket large enough to cover the roller bearing but small enough to pass through the swingarm (dimensions supplied later)
I found a thick washer just perfect for the job. (shown here against the old bearing)
P6180017.jpg

Once I got the swingarm out of the water, quickly support the base with something to act as an anvil & drive the bearing out.
Came out quite easy.
P6180011.jpg

Clean everything up & pop the new bearings in the freezer.

Here are some dimensions for a suitable 'driver'
P6180015.jpg

Old bearing ambient temperature
P6180012.jpg

New bearing just out of the freezer
P6180013.jpg

Cold bearing/hot swingarm - goes in a treat
Anvil, washer, punch.
P6180019.jpg

Fit the bearings with the writing to the outside.
P6180022.jpg

Grease everything up, push in the seals & spacers. I put the shaft back in to check everything was lined up OK & was rotating freely.
P6180023.jpg

Clean the area it's going into
P6180020.jpg

Refit & torque everything up
P6180024.jpg

Taking my time, plenty of coffee breaks & with no problems easy done in 4 hours.

:thumb2

Was the swing arm full of water?:augie

That was cold water! :augie

The hot water is a trick I picked up as an apprentice on the buses for putting gudgen pins into pistons. :thumb2

The contents of that box in the background cured the problem I had on Wednesday.
I had to buy a new air filter & it soon dawn on me that the internal plastic cage & metal clip was left behind that day too.
A trip to a breakers yesterday sourced a 2nd hand airbox with all the parts I needed & the new battery.

All ready for that lane clearing day now!
Nice write-up about Timpo in this month's TRAIL magazine.

Well yea, you've got to keep on top of things!
Not bad for a 2001 bike is it..

07forks3-1.jpg

..but things are starting to wear out.

Had the front end stripped down this weekend, looks like I'll be doing the head bearings next.
The top race is pitted to fooke.
I recon when the oil in the frame heats up it's melting the grease in the headstock so the top bearing is slowly getting starved of lubrication & it's all getting to the bottom bearing.
If there's enough interest I'll do a steering head bearing how-to.

:augie

Back
Top Bottom