squid

Reaction score
Anyone running one?

What are they like on/off road?

Reliable?

Comfort?

for carrying a bit of kit on?

Miles to a tank full?

They are a heavy lump and go like stink !

The bikes are fine onroad but limiting factor is tyres - You need decent grip if going off road and its damp or muddy otherwise they just spin up but this compromises on road work.

They will cruise at 70 - 80 no problem and are dead stable on the road.

Fuel range is about 110 miles for a tank but your arse will give up with the seat well before then unless you like that sort of thing. Its no worse than other enduro bikes for comfort though.

They make a great bike for trips away if you dont have a trailer for and Enduro bike to get you where you want to be but dont compare them to a 450 proper enduro because off road you will struggle to keep up.

I think standard they are 64 bhp and off road thats a lot (for me anyway) - There is a switch to change power and the softer option is great offroad and tames it down a lot.

Standard mode means wheelies off the throttle in first three gears and there is a fast mode which makes the thing fly if you know what your doing off road !

Overall a great bike without the service intervals of the 450 cc Enduro bikes so good for off road tours

They are a heavy lump and go like stink !

The bikes are fine onroad but limiting factor is tyres - You need decent grip if going off road and its damp or muddy otherwise they just spin up but this compromises on road work.

They will cruise at 70 - 80 no problem and are dead stable on the road.

Fuel range is about 110 miles for a tank but your arse will give up with the seat well before then unless you like that sort of thing. Its no worse than other enduro bikes for comfort though.

They make a great bike for trips away if you dont have a trailer for and Enduro bike to get you where you want to be but dont compare them to a 450 proper enduro because off road you will struggle to keep up.

I think standard they are 64 bhp and off road thats a lot (for me anyway) - There is a switch to change power and the softer option is great offroad and tames it down a lot.

Standard mode means wheelies off the throttle in first three gears and there is a fast mode which makes the thing fly if you know what your doing off road !

Overall a great bike without the service intervals of the 450 cc Enduro bikes so good for off road tours

Thanks, I'm looking for a bike that will be fast on back roads, will do easy green lanes and is good for a week B&B-ing or a weekend camping.

I have a DRZ 400E for off road but would like something that will travel better on road. Like a high performace light weight BMW Dakar.

What are they like for servicing? Is it a test tool only job or will home servicing be straight forward? What is the model history of the 690 enduro?

Ridden Enduro with Patsy Quick on the Enduro course. Didn't like it much, preferred the EXC , (also wrecked the gearbox - managed to lock it in second gear).

Weight distribution - Low down, can handle the rough stuff ok, easy(ish) to pick up.

Power - Nice delivery (three settings to choose, use the lightest setting for off-road otherwise it'll be a dog - spinning the rear and not going anywhere).

Torque - Not as good as the 525EXC or even 400EXC - Forever changing up and down to stop the engine labouring in the rough. The EXCs can be left in second for virtually all trails,

In summary, I found it to be a nice bike for road use with occasional trails - if you want more road bike manners with trail use thrown in then it would be great. If you want a trail bike with occasional road use then look at the EXCs.

Patsy Quick and Desert Rose offer trial days on the 690. http://www.adventureridingacademy.com/

Thanks, I'm looking for a bike that will be fast on back roads, will do easy green lanes and is good for a week B&B-ing or a weekend camping.

I have a DRZ 400E for off road but would like something that will travel better on road. Like a high performace light weight BMW Dakar.

What are they like for servicing? Is it a test tool only job or will home servicing be straight forward? What is the model history of the 690 enduro?

The bike will suit you fine for that type of riding not sure on servicing and as far as history, they havnt been out that long

Another alternative would be a XChallenge - some great bargains to be had now, compared to the cost of a 690 Enduro

thanks for the replies. My choice at the moment is to keep the DRZ, add a few road comfort featues and also get a 650 super moto (MZ or the like).

Or try and go for something like the 690 or xchallenge and use it for both duties.

A 690 earlier this year shows what happens when you ride a tad too slow:D
object>

Another alternative would be a XChallenge - some great bargains to be had now, compared to the cost of a 690 Enduro

There is avery low mileage 650XC on the For Sale section now.....:thumb2

T.

Having had the 690 enduro R for just over 6 months now i can give it a great thumbs up.
Yes it is a little tall but saying that i am 5.10 tall and have taken it over peat bogs no problem, she has also done a pryenees trip on which she was faultless on both the road and dirt tracks, Fuel!!! well i cant grumble there, i have had 150 miles out of a tank on the road but on average its about 130 to the full tank which is 12 liters.
In the past i have had the exc525 the 640 adventure plus many others and have to say that this is the best youll get for a true duel sport.
Yes the seat is as hard as stone, even the comfort seat but the trick here is to keep away from long motorway trips, use the twistys and show them sports bike guys that the little single can keep up with them all day long,
Happy and safe riding
fireman

Infact i might be selling mine soon keep your eyes peeled on the for sale section, need to fund a project

Last edited:
What fireman says! Awesome bikes. Agreed they are feckin tall though :eek

Having had the 690 enduro R for just over 6 months now i can give it a great thumbs up.
Yes it is a little tall but saying that i am 5.10 tall and have taken it over peat bogs no problem, she has also done a pryenees trip on which she was faultless on both the road and dirt tracks, Fuel!!! well i cant grumble there, i have had 150 miles out of a tank on the road but on average its about 130 to the full tank which is 12 liters.
In the past i have had the exc525 the 640 adventure plus many others and have to say that this is the best youll get for a true duel sport.
Yes the seat is as hard as stone, even the comfort seat but the trick here is to keep away from long motorway trips, use the twistys and show them sports bike guys that the little single can keep up with them all day long,
Happy and safe riding
fireman

Infact i might be selling mine soon keep your eyes peeled on the for sale section, need to fund a project

Back
Top Bottom