Crank Case Paint for 525EXC (2005)?

dakarDude

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to purchase some decent temperature resistant spray paint to redo my crank case. I've bought PJ1 (black) (temp. restant up to 1500) in the past for other bikes. Seemed OK.

I have been emailing KTM suppliers and nobody seems able to provide details of a good matching colour and a decent paint to do the job. I'd like to match the factory colour rather than go black.

Anyone out there already carried out this exercise that can point me in the right direction please?

I picked up some proper KTM paint for the swingarm and the frame - but the same place I got those 2 cans from don't offer anything for the crank case.

So I'm all set to go other than the crank case paint.

Thanks all.

If you do find some then please let me know as mine have certainly seen better days too, not sure how black would look with everything else being grey.

Mat

OK, here is something interesting!

I bought some of the correct colour touch-up spray paint from AMS - who are at:

www.ams4ktm.co.uk

The paint is shown in the pic below. I bought the silver (first on the left) and the goldy colour (second from right).

Anyway, I thought what the heck, I'll try some of the goldy colour on the case (the can doesn't say it will hold up to heat and I thought, I bet this will just flake off after a day) - but.... one week on after riding the bike a fair bit and ... its held!

Untitled-1.jpg

It does a nice job on the frame, too!

Grab some, seems to work fine.

HTH.

DD

OK, here is something interesting!

I bought some of the correct colour touch-up spray paint from AMS - who are at:

www.ams4ktm.co.uk

The paint is shown in the pic below. I bought the silver (first on the left) and the goldy colour (second from right).

Anyway, I thought what the heck, I'll try some of the goldy colour on the case (the can doesn't say it will hold up to heat and I thought, I bet this will just flake off after a day) - but.... one week on after riding the bike a fair bit and ... its held!

View attachment 160373

It does a nice job on the frame, too!

Grab some, seems to work fine.

HTH.

DD

Nice one, do the cans that you used, silver and gold, have part numbers so I can get the right ones?

Link not working, think their site is down.

Thanks
mat

The site is now back online as at 12:15 19/07.

Will get the part numbers from the cans and post them up here for you tonight.

DD

I tend to go round the Lakes. Looking at heading over Salter Fell at some point with Stevie73 and hopefully a few others before long. On-road I ride a 1200GSA. But saying that I do a fair few miles on tarmac on the Katoom.

Nice one, do the cans that you used, silver and gold, have part numbers so I can get the right ones?

Link not working, think their site is down.

Thanks
mat

Here are those part numbers:

Gold 301060
Silver 301061
Orange 301063
Black 301064

No probs, the gold colour seems to go well on the frame and the casings - even after a couple of weeks now it has held so seems heat resistant :thumb

No probs, the gold colour seems to go well on the frame and the casings - even after a couple of weeks now it has held so seems heat resistant :thumb

The frame gold?? mine is black. On the crank cases, what did you do to prep them for painting, did you take the old paint off? how much did they charge per can by the way?

Mine is a gold colour. The exact same as the gold colour in the photo.

The case prep - degreased it, let it dry, run the engine for a couple of mins, then sprayed a small section as a test. The paint doesn't say it stands up against heat, so I did a test section only (that is what I've been timing to see if it flakes off), it hasn't flaked off, so now I am ready to do larger sections.

I may mask off the case to leave the "KTM" lettering exposed and get some of that orange, or do the lettering black, "just because" :D

Cost - IIRC it was approx. 16.00 per can, not cheap!

HTH

Back
Top Bottom