Can you beat me 2 understand...

GunZenBomZ

Reaction score
Trying to get the last 7 days worth of track data off my 660? How do I do it...I'm about to open the pdf manual.

Can the internet people beat me!

:augie

I also want to overlay the route onto a Europe image.. hmm I sense google is going to be hit hard.

Copy the file 'Current.gpx', and/or any .gpx file that might have been saved, from your Zumo onto your PC.

Drop it on to Mapsource.

Job done :augie

Routes you have ridden are saved as Tracks on the device.

Depending on how old they are, they can be in one of two places:

From memory:

1. Tools > My data > Manage Trip Logs.

You can convert and save these as routes on the device itself by picking the route and hitting the Save as Route tab.

You can also export them to a memory card, if you have one inserted.

I don’t use the device itself, preferring to use Mapsource. Here you click on the Import button, check the tracks button and the track will upload to your PC.

The advantage is of maintaining it as a track is that it is sometimes easier edit out any glitches (where you went wrong on the road) later.

2. Now, where are all the other tracks, that are not shown? Hiding is the answer!

Attach you 660 to your PC with its USB lead.

Go to ‘My computer’

The Garmin should appear as a drive.

Click on it.

Click on the folder called, Garmin.

You will see a folder called GPX. Click on it.

You may see a folder called Archive, and / or several blank looking files.

These, and in the archive folder, are all the tracks, held in a GPX format. GPX is an GPXchange file, it literally holds stuff in a format where it can be shared.

You can date them roughly, either through the date modified column or through the file properties.

Copy, do not cut (in case you make a mistake and need to go back) ALL of them.

You will probably get a load of old tracks you don’t want.... but too many is good, not enough is bad.

Now open Mapsource and click on the little yellow folder.

Create a new folder called Tracks (or whatever you want to call it).

Paste your copy files and folder in.

Now comes the interesting bit.... YOU PROBABLY CAN’T SEE THEM....

Panic not.

Remember, they are in GPX format and Mapsource’s default setting is, Garmin DATA files.

Go to the bottom right hand corner of the screen, down near (I think) Open and Cancel, you should see a little box, with a drop down arrow.... Select, All files.... The GPX files should now appear.

Click on as many as you like and they will appear as Tracks in the track column in Mapsource....

Find the tracks you want and copy them individually.

It often helps to open several Mapsource screens as you do this.

Play around. It is difficult to break if you are even remotely careful.

Job done.

If you are happy... you can now delete the individual files on your Garmin, using your PC.

As I am a complete PC numpty I never delete files folders unless I know what they are or I created them... and often hesitate even then.

Try'd installing mapsource, didn't work. Wants a previous version. Your reply Wapping has cooled my blood as I think now I've got my 3k tour of europe still on my zumo.

I quickly checked the trip log the day after i was back. It didn't look like it had saved much...*Fingers crossed*

:beerjug:

Anyone got link to older version of mapsource 6.1.3.5?? Email me a compressed copy/??

Back
Top Bottom