Recommend me some roads from London to Liverpool please.

mr_magicfingers

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm off up to Liverpool from London on Tuesday to go play bikes with a friend. Usually I'm in a rush and just hoof it up the motorway but I have the whole of Tuesday to get there and would rather take some A & B roads and ride on routes that are pretty and fun to drive.

Anyone care to suggest a piece of tarmac to be part of my route?

Cheers.

London to Liverpool

Try:

M40 to escape London.
Leave at J8, take Oxford ring road (A40).
Join A44 for Woodstock and continue on A44 to Chipping Norton.
Join A3400 for Stratford.
At Stratford (where there is motorbike parking in the centre).
From Stratford, join A46/A422 for Worcester (some good bends).
From Worcester, join A44 to Leominster.
Now join A49 north.

Depending on your time scale, take A49 north all the way to Warrington, then through Widnes and over the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge to Liverpool.

If time allows, lots of interesting roads off the A49 as you travel north, such as A528 north from Shrewsbury to Wrexham, on to Chester and down the mid-Wirral motorway (M53) to the tunnel to Liverpool Centre.

Enjoy!

Try:

M40 to escape London.
Leave at J8, take Oxford ring road (A40).
Join A44 for Woodstock and continue on A44 to Chipping Norton.
Join A3400 for Stratford.
At Stratford (where there is motorbike parking in the centre).
From Stratford, join A46/A422 for Worcester (some good bends).
From Worcester, join A44 to Leominster.

From Leominster A44 to Crossgates, stop in the Garage on the right for breakfast, well known stop for bikers.
A483 from Crossgate to Newtown, excellent stretch of road, better than the A44, favourite for bikers.
Stay on the A483 pass through Welshpool, Oswestry to Wrexham.
Then the A483/A55 to the M56, it then up to you which way you want to go to Liverpool

I've not been to Liverpool but this was the route we took when we went to the Lake District a month ago :D

From Leominster A44 to Crossgates, stop in the Garage on the right for breakfast, well known stop for bikers.
A483 from Crossgate to Newtown, excellent stretch of road, better than the A44, favourite for bikers.
Stay on the A483 pass through Welshpool, Oswestry to Wrexham.
Then the A483/A55 to the M56, it then up to you which way you want to go to Liverpool

I've not been to Liverpool but this was the route we took when we went to the Lake District a month ago :D

Nearly ...... from Crossgate head north to Llanidloes and then the UK's finest and most scenic ride to Bala and onwards

Thanks for the great replies, much appreciated. I'll not take the run via Bala simply because the day after said friend and I will be spending a day heading to Barmouth and surrounding areas from L'pool for a day of playing out in Wales.

Looking like following the route to Leominster and then North.

Thanks again.

Whatever you do on your rideouts don't miss that 42 miles between Llanidloes and Bala - it's a truly amazing road and goes over the highest paved road in Wales - watch out for Tornadoes though!

Oh yes - if you go to Barmouth don't forget you can ride the wooden slatted bridge alongside the railway over the estuary. Best done from the southern end and pay at t'other

Here's how to find it, note the coordinates at bottom. They mark the entrance of the path in the carpark:-

Surely it's just the A41...

Marble Arch to Woodside (Birkenhead Ferry), then take tunnel Liverpool City Centre.
Dead easy; one road, loads of towns to ignore and plenty of green bits in between, although a lot of dual carraigeways.

Still, quite interesting though and takes all day.

Enjoy your visit. :beer:

I'm kind of jealous that I can't go with you.

A41

is quite nice, take M40 then M42 to M6 toll, left onto A5 then right onto the A41 to chester. M5 is busy with cameras but it's only a few miles & only one on the 41 I think.

Back
Top Bottom