Sweden. Finland... routes?

KazakDan

Hi everyone
I am doing some last-minute research on routes in Scandanavia.
I am leaving tomorrow for Pori in Finland. I have to be there by 8th Aug (Sonisphere Rock festival). I want to get there as quickly and directly as possible, then, after the festival I want to see the best parts of Scandanavia and/or the Baltics (return route dependant on weather and recommendations/research to be done later/en route). I have 4 weeks.

This Scandanavia section of the site has lots about Norway but little it seems about Sweden and Finland. This leads to me think that Finland may be boring or less worth visiting.

Question: can anyone please point me to a list of recommended routes or suggest areas to visit or perhaps more importantly avoid.

Thanks
Dan

Hi KazakDan
No ive not been there either, so I will be watching the educated replies with interest.
I had intended to go up to North Cape via Stockholm and up to Lulea, then drop down via Oulu and Tampere ( met someone from there once!) before getting on a ferry back down to Rostock or Lubeck to head on home.
I assume you will go direct to Stockholm then ferry across to Hanko, or direct to Helsinki?
Enjoy the journey.

Almost there...

...well I am about to enter Denmark today from Puttgarden, and I have decided I might try and get to the Nordkapp and back down to Pori before the 7th. From here the quickest Garmin route to Nordkapp in Norway is up the seaboard of Sweden and straight up through the corner of Finland.

If I find Sweden is great or I run out of time, I will get a boat from Umea to Vaasa in Finland, see the festival and then consider my route home. It is all up in the air, which is how I like it on these trips.

Will report back when I have more to say...

...well I am about to enter Denmark today from Puttgarden, and I have decided I might try and get to the Nordkapp and back down to Pori before the 7th. From here the quickest Garmin route to Nordkapp in Norway is up the seaboard of Sweden and straight up through the corner of Finland.

If I find Sweden is great or I run out of time, I will get a boat from Umea to Vaasa in Finland, see the festival and then consider my route home. It is all up in the air, which is how I like it on these trips.

Will report back when I have more to say...

Depending on which way you take; Norway, Sweden, Finland it will take you a good 4 days to get to Nordkapp from the ferry in Helsingborg.

Casper

So far so good.

Norway is spectacular. Reminds me on NZ and a bit of Scotland. Totally worth the ride here, however I think I wasted a lot of miles going to southern Sweden first. The local Swedes told me that the best bits are in the north and I found that the south is predominantly covered in forest and the route I took (Oresund bridge to Malmo, Sweden, then to Vaxjo (pronounced Vak-way)) was as dull as Germany and Belgium.

The only saving grace of this part of the trip were the B roads heading west to Norway but of course these take ages.

In my haste to see something decent after 4 days of normal Europe, I have blasted through Norway, in one day covering 600 odd kms (on a slow XT600 mind you). Map pic click here

My plan is to go up the map in Norway and cross into Sweden and get into the arctic circle region (not too fussed about actually getting to the top proper) and then down to Pori in Finland. I have to get there by 8th August for the last day of the rock festival.

Then I can decide if the Baltics are worth it, or I can cut across to Stockholm for a more direct route. I hear the police in the Baltics are a real pain.... which has put my off a bit.

Update

Well, I am currently on the ferry from Helsinki to Rostock, Germany, having done about 5500km round Scandanavia. I had to push it because of my deadline for the rock festival so I didn't get the best of anywhere. But, I have learned a few lessons and some 'notes to self'.

First off, the ferry from Helsinki to Rostock with the Tallink Silja line does not depart from the signed Tallink Silja terminal in lower central Helsinki. It departs from the cargo port 15km east. I arrived on time at the wrong port and had to get shown where on the GPS map it actually was and then fight my way through Hell-sinki traffic (more red lights than London) and I only just made it in 40 mins driving like a nutter (well, courier). GPS location for the Fastlink ferry is :
N 60 degrees 12.58, E 25 degrees 11.53

There seemed to be no signs for the port and for travelling vehicles until about 1km away from the port... not much use when you turn up in town and follow the only signs for the ferry company which lead somewhere else... maybe I missed something.

Anyway... Scandanavia : I went Germany, Denmark, southern Sweden, Norway, norhtern Sweden, Finland, Germany.

I want to be positive but overall Sweden has little to offer the adventure rider. By that I mean there are gravel tracks but they seldom lead anywhere and planning a trip via these whilst covering ground effectively is hard. Admittedly I could have used a better map to show more detail but talking to the locals, I realise I wasn't missing much.

Finland is marginally better, if you can get to the minor roads (three numbers eg route 259) but these also seldom lead through places, just out to settlements and houses. I did not get to eastern Finland towards Russia and I am told this area is really beautiful.

Norway, as already discussed in these pages, is stunning and should not be missed. Due to my time pressures I raced through but still loved it. Wild camping in all three countries was easy and great fun and with the XT600 I could potter through the forests and find a spot away from everything.

As stated previously in the thread I went Puttgarden to Denmark then rode to southern Sweden. If you want to access Norway (in the absence of the ferry to Bergen) I'd agree that the Esbjerg ferry followed by a second ferry from northern Denmark to Norway is the answer. Driving via Sweden was a bit dull.

I reached the arctic circle in Sweden, took the obligatory photo and then went up a bit and crossed into Finland at Pella and headed south again.

Next trip: To the Nord Kapp, driving in Norway as much as possible, taking time to enjoy more places. Local bikers dislike the E6 but in my mind, it's in Norway not Sweden which is a scenic benefit.

Police: Everyone knows the speed limits are low and the fines are high but (without condoning speeding) I did not see more than 2 police cars outside of towns, and the I only saw about 10 police cars in the whole of Scandanavia. Cameras only take pictures to the front. So, in all, I still watched my speed, esp in the 50,60,70 areas but you can relax a bit and make some progress.

Just watch out for the blooming reindeer! I came within a reindeer's whisker of a full on smash at 100kph when one the size of a cow jumped suicidally at the last second right into my path. Within the hour I was almost taken head on by a moose - but she was driving a white Toyota and chatting to and looking at her rear passengers whilst making a left turn in front of me. I left a tyre mark and clipped her bumper. After the shouting through my Arai, the legs went to jelly and I couldn't ride for 5 mins. It was that close. This is the reason to obey the speed limits in town. Drivers expect you to be going slowly because everyone does, and they will pull out.

Didn't get to the Baltic states, partly because I was described that they are flat and boring... but to be honest, I was put off by the reputation of the police who, like in Almaty where I live, stop motorists in order to find fault and make money from bribes. Not my idea of a relaxing bike tour... please enlighten me if I am missing something in the Baltics...

Fuel prices in Finland are 1.43 Euro per litre for 95 U/L. Diesel is 1.13. Interesting discrepancy between the two fuel types compared to the UK. In Sweden they use a different currency so it was never clear but it was 12.93 Kr in Sweden and about the same in Norway but the exchange rate is worse for the GBP.

Food prices in Norway were surprising with approx 1.50 GBP being the lowest price for anything on the shelf. I shopped in Lidl etc and made sandwiches a lot, and camping in the forests made it overall a cheap trip. I used couchsurfing.com for places to stay (4 nights out of 13 so far, 2 in a hotel and the rest in the woods). Tip: try and find an out-of-town 24hr station and get in the woods nearby. Then you have basically got water, bathroom and food -what you would get in a campsite - and it doesn't cost a penny. I never found out what a pitch costs for the night but basic cabins with no facilities were at least 50 Euros per night (4 berth so cheap if you are in a group). Hotel prices started at about equivalent of 90 Euro a night, again for basic basic level stuff. I always thought I hated camping until the prices forced me into the wild...(!) but discovered that I love it, especially the packing up and getting on the road without faffing about. Two things made camping bearable: mosquitto net headgear. Vital for Scandanavia. And a decent air matress like Airic from AlpKit.com. Folded over, it was more comfortable than a futon. Pillow was my Airhawk seat (which incidentally I will never ride without again).

I hope this is useful and not repeating too much of what has been said before.

More to follow if I think of anything else useful.

Cheers

Thanks for the write up, very useful views for my ride up there, now aiming for next year.
Well done.

Quite interesting to read

There is definately lots to see over here in Finland than most of you can imagine and lots of nice gravel roads to drive with your gs´s. It would be quite interesting to see group of you to attend one of our gs-meetings over here. And yes, i agree with that comment about traffic-lights in Helsinki...way too many of them.

Diesel prices are lower than petrol in Finland because diesel cars carry a fixed yearly diesel tax.

Back
Top Bottom