extended bmw warranty!! Is it worth it ???

stevie Allen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys
My extended warrenty is up for renewal next month and ive got the paperwork through ,
I just wanted to hear from some of you guys ,Is it worth the hassle or not ? Whatever way you look at it £310.00 is a bit of money whatever way you look at it
good and bad thoughts appreciated

Cooperman

Yes and Yes!

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that the recovery service is optional. My policy hasn't arrived yet but I'll check it when it does.

Nope. So I'm many quids in. Like many many others..... It's not *that* unreliable....

signed up for mine at the start of the year...

but I left it with €150 excess

FD seal went the other day, and I had to pay up cause it was under the 150 mark.. so in Jan next year I will be paying that little extra for the E.W. with no excess...

but I think its well worth it, I just consider it extra insurance.

Hi guys
My extended warrenty is up for renewal next month and ive got the paperwork through ,
I just wanted to hear from some of you guys ,Is it worth the hassle or not ? Whatever way you look at it £310.00 is a bit of money whatever way you look at it
good and bad thoughts appreciated

I suppose it depends on how much your gonna use the bike.
Does it only do a few miles on a sunny Sunday in June or does it get used every day as your only means of transport.

If it's the former then get the cover as it's only bikes that don't get used that breakdown.:thumb

On a 12GS.......................most definitely

I'd be too scared to ride one without warranty:eek:

Yeah but no, but yeah, but no

I kept my warranty for 1 year incl European assistance = £350ish (can't remember exactly)

Never had a problem with the bike so this year I paid for the Europe Assist seperately and ditched the warranty. (£95)

Had an FD seal go - cost less to fix than the difference.

1200gs with 25K on the clock - 3.5 years old.

I won't bother with the warranty as there are too many caveats and thus I think poor value vs risk.

Doing the maths (assuming you need recovery):

Total £310

less recovery £95

Cost of warranty £225

Assuming this is with no excess it sounds a good buy versus the worst case of a £1K final drive failure :nenau

My warranty is up next year, I have the breakdown covered by my car RAC policy so wouldnt bother with that bit.

I reckon you should....

........'cos if your final drive goes it will cost in the order of £1100.00 to get a new one (bitter voice of experience by chance:augie:augie).

Three years worth of warranty there before anything else that may happen to let go:D.

I bought my 1200 2nd hand and didn't get a reminder and forgot to chase the warranty renewal.

Anything lets go and MBW "goodwill" doesn't (generally) go as far as you could throw it.

In my FD I paid for 2 seal replacements before I had to have a new one so in fact it cost a bit more than that exorbitant figure above:eek:

Its like any policy of this type, its worth it if you end up needing it!!!!

Do final drive units still fail on these bikes.
I thought it was only the early models and anything after 07 is sound

Nope. So I'm many quids in. Like many many others..... It's not *that* unreliable....

x2. If i thought they were unreliable i would not buy one in the first place.

Now 5 years old with 33k on the clock no problem.
Keep riding & stop worrying,if it goes bang buy a jap bike.

Thanks guys for the advice
Its an 06 and yes its used as my main form of transport when im home,and I am looking at some long trips foreign So I think its a no brainer
thanks again
:flag

Definitely a no brainer. Exhaust valve dropped into cylinder. Several thousands of pounds not pulled from my pocket. When did I buy warranty? Less than 24 hrs before.....get in! Ooo, did I mention new rear subframe when it cracked, new clutch when it got contaminated, new FD seal, new rear wheel carrier when it cracked, new FPC....etc etc etc. £310 is a bragain....or you could buy a Honda :D

Thanks guys for the advice
Its an 06 and yes its used as my main form of transport when im home,and I am looking at some long trips foreign So I think its a no brainer
thanks again
:flag

After seeing a few broken 1200's lately..................one needing a new clutch £1000 (no warranty) ouch and another 1200 needing a clutch £1000, FD £1000, gearbox £1000 - £3k total (no warranty) ...................fecking ouch

I wouldn't touch any 1200 without warranty with a proverbial barge pole

Back
Top Bottom