Street Glide

:augie

I new we shouldn't have stopped at Guilford Harley yesterday.

Thats a real bad itch you have their Tom, perhaps you wont be happy til you have scratched it.

Personally i think its just another excuse to hang around at the back of the pack, dont worry i will wait for you and take you on an adventure :D

You should have no trouble securing a test ride HD dealers are great in this respect.

I moved from an GS1100 after 11yrs to an Electra Glide Standard and have few regrets doing so. I guess Electra Glides and Street Glides have a lot in common what with both being from Harleys touring range. So for what it's worth..........

The lack of bhp on a bike this heavy is noticeable and there's no denying that, but adjust your riding accordingly and it's a brilliant, soft and hugely enjoyable ride.

If you ever carry a pillion then take them on the test ride - then get HD to include a backrest.

Dip it in ACF50 and cleaning it won't be a problem and you'll avoid the embarrassment of having a shiny Harley. BTW, you don't have to dress like a land pirate either.

With no valves to adjust nor injectors to balance servicing couldn't be easier.

I've had no problems at all in 9000miles and 10mths.

Brakes and handling are plenty good enough and are a massive improvement from even 3 or 4yrs ago.

Learn how to use the thingy that cuts the rear cylinder at standstill/tick-over in hot weather. Without it the heat generated by the engine is near unbearable. Incidentally, this engine heat/right leg 'feature' is the worst aspect of the bike. I'm told a stage one will also reduce heat output.

Learn how to disarm the alarm without the fob present. Important if you start the bike in the garage and leave the fob behind on the shelf.

Unbelievably smooth when running even though the engine bounces around at tick-over nicely.

Bottom line; I find my EG very likable, very capable and plenty fast enough once riding style adjustment is completed and as far as I know the SG will be pretty much the same. Take a test ride and see if the SG's for you.

These HD's aren't perfect but they're way, way better than most people think. In the bad points column I'd put engine heat, alarm fob that has to be present even for a push around the garage [dashing inside keeps me fit anyways!]. Vivid black isn't the easiest paint to look after.
If I were the cynical sort I'd say HD sometimes knowingly equip their bikes with barely passable equipment and performance knowing people will spend more to up grade - I'm thinking pillion accommodation and stage 1 engine upgrades here. Having to buy the pump to adjust the air suspension just don't sit right with me either.

I like 'em - hope you do too.

:augie

I new we shouldn't have stopped at Guilford Harley yesterday.

Thats a real bad itch you have their Tom, perhaps you wont be happy til you have scratched it.

Personally i think its just another excuse to hang around at the back of the pack, dont worry i will wait for you and take you on an adventure :D

I am just asking ... not going to get one tomorrow.

What are they like to ride and own? :nenau

Tom they are great - fun to ride, even down country lanes, and cheap to service. And good for long rides in Europe.

As a result I choose my 'glide and the GS is gathering dust in the garage.

regards

Simon

What are they like to ride and own? :nenau

Hello Tom, fancy seeing you here :augie

Baggers are the latest big craze and there are loads of cool upgrades for the sterio etc. great bikes but you need to test ride them and DO NOT join HOG :ymca

street glide

nice summer bike, but get a newer one, old ones are very hot around the legs.

fairing a bit too wide for traffic/filtering.

street glide has a firmer ride than the two bat wing faired bikes i had last year.

wait till winter to buy....top tip that...

nice summer bike, but get a newer one, old ones are very hot around the legs.

fairing a bit too wide for traffic/filtering.

street glide has a firmer ride than the two bat wing faired bikes i had last year.

wait till winter to buy....top tip that...

I normally agree whole-heartedly with the esteemed Mr Marshall - but on fairing width, I demur as I managed to commute successfully to/from central London last summer and it did not feel any wider than my GS with panniers.

I do agree the rear cylinder can be a bo****k frier!:eek:

Simon

as a "former" streetglide owner they are a fraction lower with a firmer ride than the other glides. if you think about what extra's you may fit it may work out cheaper to by a glide with all the toys and remove what you dont need than to add parts you want, dont ask how i know and if her indoors found out the actual figure i spent :eek: i do have a streetglide seat still around somewhere. i only got rid of mine because i was riding my 103" fatboy more and fancied a return the the hd red headed stepchild, otherwise know as a Vrod. go and have a long test ride.

Back
Top Bottom