Eastern Europe - Fuel availability

Peter2804

Hi. I’m new to the club which seems to be a great resource of information to all who participate.

I am intending to tour some of Eastern Europe in September this year with my wife, Karen on an 1150GS. The countries we may travel through are: Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Ukraine and Poland (although probably not all of these!).

One of my main concerns is the availability of fuel given that I have a standard sized tank, which should give about 200 miles. I would be interested to know if anyone has experience or touring in this region and how they coped. I thought one option might be to strap a 5 ltr can to the top of each of the panniers?

Comments, observations and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can't speak for Romania or the ukraine, but you won't have any problem with the other countries you list. Just 2 months ago, a dozen GS Tossers made the tour (see here)

Save the space in your panniers to bring back a couple of bottles of vodka!

:beerjug:

Greg

No problems in Czech as they have full fuel services like we do on major routes and in towns.

A little more patchy if you go off piste on a Sunday or late evening.... and they mostly take VISA!

Slovakia has oodles of Russian oil to get rid off, but they are still more entrnched in state owned Benzina outlets. Hungary a cross between the two! No need to carry extra fuel if you have 200 miles... I tend to stop a little more often than normal to ensure a tank full if I am off dalnice!

None of the countries you mentioned are as bad as France on a Sunday Peter, so don't worry too much....but as
Invicta Moto says, fill up when you can after 1/2 full and you won't have to worry :)

(PS I've just been reading the Iron Butt site for a bit of planning i'm doing and there's an account of a geezer who runs a goldwing with 38 gallons of fuel capacity...he says the longest he's gone without TOUCHING HIS FEET DOWN is 1250 odd miles....and he has a tube for pissing in so he can just carry on!!!!)

:eek:

Fuel is no problem in any of the countries.....coffee better in most garages than here!
If you fancy a chat about romania...give me a call, loads of good places to visit to share. its my second home - just back from 4 1/2 weeks in the region.
also serbia is well worth a visit.
www.bikercamp.hu excellent gs stop in budapest - good rooms or camping.
sorry about grammer...just back from pub!
Gavin Bell
07939 135064

Back
Top Bottom