Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.....It's Fritz !

fritz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
North Yorkshire - but the map isn't the territory
Some thoughts and general ramblings on our latest trip over to see our lad in Denmark.

Ferry with outside (window) cabin each way for two of us and bike came in at £218 via MAG discounts. Leaves on Tuesday 18.00, arrives Esbjerg 12.00 Wed, returns Esbjerg 19.00 Harwich 11.00.

Having decided to use the backroads to venture south to Harwich I had totally underestimated the time allowance. We were about 75 miles away when I realised we had less than an hour to get there. Oh ****. The final drag to Ipswich and Harwich at the same time as ‘rush’ hour was severely stressful and once we arrived at a vacant car park the guy in the office says “ Mr Davies ? I was giving you five more minutes” Bugger that was close ! No time even for ticket check, straight to boat and on with the last of the vehicles. Time to chill ! Phew.

Glorious boat the Dana Serena, very new and excellent cabins. Good, but costly, buffet at about £17 p/p, but we had saved by not stopping for lunch during day…….. A calm crossing and a lovely night’s stress free kip. Not like some older ferry were you think you’re next to the cutlery draw every time you hit a wave.

Once landed and ready to fill up we discovered one prob’ need the Visa pin No to use visa, didn’t have ours (I know, I know, we haven’t a mobile phone either). I sussed how to say English Visa no number, and at least for petrol no further probs – no good in supermarket though.

The Danes drive incredibly courteously – you are likely to be speeding ! Most folk seem to drive at about 50-55mph, bikes quicker. Riding at ‘normal’ UK speeds is well in excess of average traffic. There appears to be no police presence on the roads, and only saw one camera (in village) during our stay. They appear to be more bike friendly than the UK as bikes are very expensive over there - £12,500 for a s/h Fireblade !

The roads are extremely good. No wonder me bro thought the UK roads were sh*te – they really are ! But we win hands down on scenery – even Norfolk ! Denmark has some nice rolling countryside, but alpine it ain’t. You have to choose your route with care (and preferably local advice). There are so many roads, it’s difficult to navigate unless you use only the main ones – then you miss the best bits. One secret is the Marguerite route (see sign plate below)that takes you (generally) through some nice scenery. You can get free maps from some of the petrol stations that show pretty good coverage. Our map of Scandinavia didn’t show enough detail. Distances are never great, and it is much quieter than the UK so not much impedes progress. There is a LOT of scope for off-roading, but generally on well-maintained gravel roads. If it’s got a street name plate, it’s likely legal – we never experienced problems taking any lanes we saw, but again local knowledge is the best way.

Attachments

• marguerite.bmp
    8.4 KB · Views: 76
Me bro's thatched cottage - how much over here eh ? Affordable over there. built turn on Century, moved to present location in I think 70's, and served time as a brothel for a while !

Bloody 'ell, 500 post mark ! Sad get

Attachments

• resize of p6120069.jpg
    resize of p6120069.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 177
Top Bloke - Sander

I’d made contact with Sander (GSRider on this forum www.vthul.dk ) who is part of our Danish cousins club www.bmw-gs-team.dk and he proved to be a truly fantastic guy. As we were basically over to catch up with me bro we didn’t get too much opportunity to get out with Sander, but we did head up to his and Eva’s place for Sunday. They had laid a spread on for us (we allowed my brother on his – spit – Fireblade to come along) and were fantastic hosts…..to the point we could have stayed and talked all day never mind ride the bikes ! Following lunch Eva had to return to work and Sander geared up to take us around his favourite spots. His bike – Dessie – is a seriously lovely R1100. The piccies won’t do it justice; it is orange in the Marlboro colour style and draws the attention everywhere. Sander enjoys forays off road in Finland and the like with their club but limited our ride to tarmac…….excepting that one gravel section that certainly caught me bro out (!). There was some lovely scenery over towards Frederikshavn and we certainly had the weather for it. To finish off we went to see a local lighthouse that is being engulfed by the dunes. For some reason this place doesn’t appear in the guidebooks, but is one of the best sites we’ve seen in Denmark. 90m high dunes (only about 40m off the countries high point !) Dessie was built for the road to the parking, the errant dunes giving some fine PD practice on the way. The NE part of Jutland is probably the nicest bits that we’ve seen; though Silkeborg is quite nice too. Sander and Eva really made the trip worthwhile, superb hosts. Look them up if you’re over.

Attachments

• resize of p6130079.jpg
    resize of p6130079.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 174
And finally a few more bits of info.

Food is widely available if you like it ‘fast’. Pølser (processed sausage etc) Grill bars and pizza places are common. Decent food harder to find (and probably more costly) though the Krø’s we never tried. Beer is more costly, but there are some nice local strong beers that cost about 90p a 33 cl bottle. Never had a Carlsberg porter ? Nope neither had we before going to Denmark, then there’s the 10+% Master Brew !

Petrol is around the same price (diesel cheaper – very helpful !)

Can’t comment on accommodation as we had ours provided.

All in, not somewhere you’d visit (unless for family) too many times, but a different option if nothing else. There are options to make things more interesting.

The main thing I’ll take away is meeting a fellow Gser and finding we really are all the same. It was great to meet Sander and Eva, and I’d ceratinly like to do that again and spend some time discovering the off road options. Wonderful people in this, and our cousins abroad, GS Clubs.

The bike at the end of the road. I never even saw the flight of geese in the shot until we got home. Did I mention milage ? We did about 950 all in, nearly half of that getting to Harwich and back for ferry (we made the return one with an hour to spare :p a few other bikes (another GS, but not of this clubI think) and the Scandinavian Rolls Royce Owners Club - 40 odd cars, impressive.

Attachments

• resize of p6140107.jpg
    resize of p6140107.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 189
Denmark

Nice one Fritz, glad to see you enjoyed Denmark, we are moving out to Ebeltoft just north of Arhus later this year and I am at presently looking into the cost of taking my 1100 in. I know it will be horrendous but then again I have to have it.....& those are the wifes words. I think she knows that those long dark winters will be hell for her if she cannot lock me into the garage with something to keep busy with !!!

Next time you go over give a call.

Mike.

Cheers Mike. Sure you'll find loads of places to play, and next time we're over we'll call by. Once you're up and running contact Sander, sure he'd love to meet you, can put you onto the local GSers and is an all round good guy :thumb ! Enjoy ;)

Back
Top Bottom