Bike starting problems heads up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PAYBACK

Reaction score
Thought it my civic duty to inform you guys about a problem that has become a all to regular "feature" of the G450X which cause the bike not to start. I've had a G450X since October last year, two in fact. My first bike actually failed on me 30 min into my first ride with the exact problem. I was told that for some reason the flywheel was installed incorrectly which caused the bike not to start and my bike was replaced a week later.

My brother also has a G450X bought a week before mine and just before his 70 hour service while we were on the way back from a ride, a bolt (see below) came off his stator and created all sorts of havoc in his engine which was replaced by BMW under warranty.

Getting back to my bike, besides the first bike my second unit (50 hours) was going great until about three weeks ago when I did have some trouble getting it fired up in the bush but took no notice of it. I ride on weekends only and during the week I start it up once or twice a week to get the oil doing the rounds. This Saturday past I fired up the bike but was greeted with a flat battery, which tells me that after the previous ride the stator has not charged the battery and because it has been left for a week the charge has been drained.

I got the info below via some channels within BMW which clearly states that from late 2009 there seems to be a problem with lose bolts on the stator that has surfaced and some internal back and forth confirms it, see below. I phoned up my dealer and mentioned this to them and they said that this was NOT a bulletin and I should not worry they'll check it out on the next service, this was before I tried to start my bike over the weekend, go figure. I phoned up my salesman today and told him about the problem and he asked me if I had been phoned regarding a bulletin doing the rounds ? which I have not been. Seems that now there is a bulletin doing the rounds regarding this issue.

To throw another spanner in the works my mates G450X died on him in the bush and he had to be towed back to base. I ride a lot with him and when he would try start his bike up it would fire up but as soon as he touched the throttle the bike would die for some reason. He took it back to the dealer and they pin pointed it to a faulty relay on the bike and now its fine.

I was in the work shop and have seen what the bolt did to the bike. The stator looked like it had been shot up by a machine gun and all that copper wire was doing the rounds in the engine. To be fair no metal was found in the piston so the filter was doing it job.

So in closing suggest you guys take your bike back to your dealers and quiz them about the bulitin and get them to check the relay as well.

Measure no.
ZA 22043808-04
Subject
Engine stalls or starter turns without engaging

Status date (mm/dd/yy)
10/7/09
Status
Approved
PQM Problem reference

Date created (mm/dd/yy)
10/7/09
Created by
Carsten Gruetzmacher
Organization
ZA,*MOT

Release date (mm/dd/yy)
10/7/09
Approved by
Carsten Gruetzmacher
Dealer release
Allow automatic release

Vehicles affected

E series
K16**
Engine
1-ZYL**
Body

Production period (from/to) (mm/dd/yy)
* /
Comment on production period
Feedback (all cases relating to measure up to) (mm/dd/yy)

Complaint
- The engine stalls and cannot be restarted due to flat battery or
- the engine cannot be started: the starter turns without engaging and does not connect to the crankshaft

Cause
The threaded connection between the sprag clutch ring and the pole wheel may have come undone. This concerns the six M6x12 Allen screws, part number 07119906878, see no. "1" in the attached picture.
If the sprag clutch ring comes undone, the alternator coils are usually destroyed. This will explain the possibly discharged battery and the clear signs of copper swarf which may be found after removing the left-hand engine housing cover.

Measure
- Clean the crankcase
- Check the oil pumps
- Replace the oil filter and engine oil
- Replace damaged parts (i.e. usually the alternator)
- CAUTION: New tightening procedure for the threaded connection between the sprag clutch ring and the pole wheel
1. Initial torque to 3 Nm
2. Continue turning to 45° (+/- 10°). As a precaution, the instruction "45°" means only half a "right angle"... See the diagram in the attachment.
- CAUTION: Danger of damage when removing the pole wheel. Please check Service Information bulletin 13 / 2009

Internal note

Fault

Fault location
Nature of fault
Condition

Drive, Engine

Fails to operate, Dying/stalling

Engine operation

Drive, Engine, Starter

Fails to operate

Engine operation, Starting

Defect

Main group
12**engine electrical system

Subgroup
31**Alternator with drive and fasteners

Defect code
Defect description

Module
Area
Powertrain
Fault code

CIP / DIS

System
State
Version

Tech. Office report

Measure AG
Measure no.
Subject
AG 22043808-04
Engine stalls or starter turns without engaging

© 2002-2010 Copyright BMW AG. All rights reserved.

My 09 450 sits in the garage for months and have never had a problem starting it up first time. If you give it some throttle as you push the starter this will course a problem but this is usual with these types of fuel injected bikes. You need no throttle to start the bike.

My 09 450 sits in the garage for months and have never had a problem starting it up first time. If you give it some throttle as you push the starter this will course a problem but this is usual with these types of fuel injected bikes. You need no throttle to start the bike.

:blast

Back
Top Bottom