Pyrennes - Sept21 to 30th

GS Chris

Reaction score
Taking return ferry Portsmouth - Santander, sailing at 11.15 on the 21st, and 15.15 on the 29th.

Intend to travel West to East thru mainly the French side, taking in the best passes. Then to Carcassonne and down to the Med, before returning Westwards thru Spain, doing more of the Cols., before finishing with the Picos de Europa.

Should say that I'm taking the Blackbird, so no intentional offroading!!! Took the GS down thru E France to the Jura last Sept, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very practical for touring, but lacks the oomph when there's a decent road.

Staying at modest hotels, and B&Bs. Have read all the ride reports here for routes to take and accommodation referrals, but would be grateful to receive more tips on places to stay if you have them.

So if anyone would like to join me, you would be most welcome, with the usual caveat that you don't snore or f@rt (which rules out most tossers :D )

Sorry, not a subscriber, so you can't PM me. Leave message on here, or call 07879 898865

Regards,

Chris

Will be around

Hey Chris..

I arrive Rosscoff early on the 19th from Cork..Intend a slow time down and could be at the western end of the mountains by about the 22nd onwards ..Working west to east sounds good ..If not I also kinda would like to go over to the picos which are nice and near your depature port ...Dont have to be back up at Rosscoff until the 1st of Oct for sailing home.. Seems our paths could/should cross ..I will have the camping gear with me ... To link up and ride for a while would be great..What do you think?:beerjug:

Hey Chris..

I arrive Rosscoff early on the 19th from Cork..Intend a slow time down and could be at the western end of the mountains by about the 22nd onwards ..Working west to east sounds good ..If not I also kinda would like to go over to the picos which are nice and near your depature port ...Dont have to be back up at Rosscoff until the 1st of Oct for sailing home.. Seems our paths could/should cross ..I will have the camping gear with me ... To link up and ride for a while would be great..What do you think?:beerjug:

Sounds as though that would tie in really well. Would be great to have your company, as I've already turned down one Blackbird mate, as he doesn't pass the snoring and f@rting test. :augie

Care to email me at cprice4 at toucansurf dot com, and I will give you my draft itinerary. To start, I aim to be spending night of the 22nd just SE of Biarritz. Doing the picos at the end, on the 28th and 29th.

Err, would that be a two man tent by any chance? :ymca :D

Regards,

Chris

one man tent

Tent only has room for one man but seems to fit one man and one woman ...funny that ..:augie

I will drop you a mail later ..

Link up

Not that anyone is remotely interested, but just to show that technology and particularly this forum can work, Stephen and I met and shared a B&B near the Andorra border. In fact, Stephen liked it so much, he stayed another night.

I pressed on and followed the N260 westwards. Overnight in Pamplona, now in Potes, ready to explore the Picos tomorrow.

Regards,

Chris

now in Potes, ready to explore the Picos tomorrow.

Regards,

Chris

A suggestion:
Head up toward the Funte De (Where the cable car is), about 2/3 of the way turn right through some buildings in Espinama, climb up and up through an iron gateway, look out for the vultures coming out of a cave to your left, then to the valley and follow the track all the way to Sotres. Ace:thumb

A suggestion:
Head up toward the Funte De (Where the cable car is), about 2/3 of the way turn right through some buildings in Espinama, climb up and up through an iron gateway, look out for the vultures coming out of a cave to your left, then to the valley and follow the track all the way to Sotres. Ace:thumb

Sorry, I did not see your tip in time. Just got back home.

Saw the sign for Funte De and remember it was about 23kms, and I had already been round the range in the day. Don't forget I was on a mere Blackbird, so dirt tracks were not on the menu :augie

After the splendor of the narrow gorges, the 'Bird did enjoy the fast flowing section round the lake at Riano :D

Fantastic place, so I'm sure to be back again. Fav section was the 243 to Santa Marina de Valdeon, and the track to the mirador at the top of the pass.

Regards,

Chris

Trip report

They let me post travel reports taken on my GS on the iXXra, Blackbird, forum coz they knows and loves me.:aidan

But I wouldn't dare reverse that here. :augie

So, if anyone is interested in reading the travelogue, it can be found in two parts here:

http://www.ixxra.co.uk/v-web/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22864

http://www.ixxra.co.uk/v-web/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22865

Or, if you would just like to see photos from the trip:-

http://s342.photobucket.com/albums/o417/XXtremist_photos/Pyrenees and Picos Sept 2010/

Chris

Back
Top Bottom