Wapping's wanders 2011

Wapping

Reaction score
Following on from the (not quite complete) disasters of 2009 and 2010, I thought I might push the patience of Lady Luck a bit further next year.

I plan to run three of the 'One day' jaunts, one of which will be for novices only.

I also plan to run two 'Long weekend' jaunts. One the Ardennes and the other down to Dijon. These will probably be four or five day jaunts, the Dijon run being likely to depart on a late afternoon train, simply to gain us some time the next day.

Limit on each jaunt will have to be me, plus a maximum of six other bikes. Pillions are welcome.

Who might they suit? Anyone who has a half decent sense of humour and doesn't want the structure (and cost) of a professional tour company event.

Distance? On the long weekend jaunts we will need to crack in a couple of 250 plus mile days, mostly on decent country roads. Other than navigational errors there will be no off-road sections. In short, nothing you could not do on a FireBlade or puskbike.

The one day events will each be an easy 150 miles or so, again on country roads.

Dates? We can probably get going in early April with one of the one-dayers. The exact dates I will lob up once Reasonably soon. I suggest the first excursion is the novice's jaunt.

Richard

Richard, I’m not a beginner but I’d be very interested in one of your 4 to 5 day jaunts, mileage isn’t a problem and I promise to behave.

P.S. A late afternoon train would fit me great but I’m flexible

I'd be up for a long weekend with the Mrs. to somewhere viniculture centric (ie France :D)

I'll go anywhere with Richard :augie (That sounds wrong!!!)

Would be interested in a return to the Ardennes and/or a trip to Dijon.

Does novices include taking a new bike abroad for the first time?

Nigel

Ide be interested in a couple of days jaunt, date dependant:thumb

I could well be interested in the novice one. Never riden abroad i'd assume that would put me in the novice bracket for sure :augie
Also its a fair ride from the Forest of Dene (see what i did there :thumb2) to the tunnel :D

I'd be interested in the Dijon trip if it was in July or later

I could well be interested in the novice one. Never riden abroad i'd assume that would put me in the novice bracket for sure :augie
Also its a fair ride from the Forest of Dene (see what i did there :thumb2) to the tunnel :D

Are you sure you want to go abroad .. you might meet more of those Foreign types with babies :blast

I'd be interested in the Dijon trip if it was in July or later

Can you dress more appropriately this time? :ymca

The sight of you with your trousers down to your knees is still giving me nightmares :eek: :blast

I'd be up for a long weekend with the Mrs. to somewhere viniculture centric (ie France :D)

Ide be interested in a couple of days jaunt, date dependant:thumb

Must admit, a one day jaunt is not cost effective for the Northern folk.
I would be very interested in a Friday to Monday (Sunday night ferry) weekender.
This would allow folk in the South to be 'home' late Sunday, and I can have a night near London too before the ride back to Cheshire.

Wapping, please keep me in the fold.

Thanks.

Timpo.

PS. I could get details of GSable trails in the Calvados/Pas d. Calais areas....

Well, thanks for all the speedy replies and interest.

We have the making of some (I hope) good jaunts for old and new faces.

I will get some dates worked out ASAP.

Richard

Must admit, a one day jaunt is not cost effective for the Northern folk.
I would be very interested in a Friday to Monday (Sunday night ferry) weekender.
This would allow folk in the South to be 'home' late Sunday, and I can have a night near London too before the ride back to Cheshire.

Wapping, please keep me in the fold.

Thanks.

Timpo.

PS. I could get details of GSable trails in the Calvados/Pas d. Calais areas....

Yes, that is a good point about geography and one I keep overlooking, being spoilt in this corner of our green and pleasant land.

I went up to the Lakes a couple of months ago.... bloody miles away :D..... and wet! Hosepipe ban, my arse.... We spent a few days up there, to make it worthwhile.

=====

How about this for an idea:

Would a bank holiday weekend suit someone from the northern lands?

Supposing we went over on a Friday morning train, had Saturday and Sunday in the Ardennes. Then came back on a late afternoon train on the bank holiday Monday?

Yes, that is a good point about geography and one I keep overlooking, being spoilt in this corner of our green and pleasant land.

I went up to the Lakes a couple of months ago.... bloody miles away :D..... and wet! Hosepipe ban, my arse.... We spent a few days up there, to make it worthwhile.

=====

Supposing we went over on a Friday morning train, had Saturday and Sunday in the Ardennes. Then came back on a late afternoon train on the bank holiday Monday?

Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works..........
Would the 'Northern lads' hit BH nightmare traffic going to and from the train :nenau

=====

yes..

Hello, wild man of the woods....

Nice one with Dene :thumb2

For the one day jaunt, we need to be on the train at about 07:40 or thereabouts. Set the woodpecker alarm early....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oeldv48RGv8?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oeldv48RGv8?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

May be as well to travel down the day before and stay in a Premier Lodge or whatever they are called, be rested for the next day then (that's what i'd probably end up doing)

Hello, wild man of the woods....

Nice one with Dene :thumb2

For the one day jaunt, we need to be on the train at about 07:40 or thereabouts. Set the woodpecker alarm early....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oeldv48RGv8?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oeldv48RGv8?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I like your sense of humour (or pi55 taking) :thumb

May be as well to travel down the day before and stay in a Premier Lodge or whatever they are called, be rested for the next day then (that's what i'd probably end up doing)

The Best Western on the sea front in Hythe is just 10 minutes from the tunnel. Off street parking, not secured. A pleasant seaside location with a choice of eateries and a decent pub nearby. It was cheaper than any of the lodge type places. I used it earlier this year before the Ardennes trip with Wapping & Co.

Back
Top Bottom