Wrong Speed Warning on Pocket GPS

Nick Marshall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had this problem for a few months on several different Garmin GPS devices inc. 550 and 660.
All my speed warnings are in mph however at 31 mph i am warned for a 50 mph limit.
At about 44 mph i am warned of a 70 mph limit.
Its as if its somehow converted to kph. But its showing mph.
Never had the problem before.

Can anyone out there help?

Thanks

Nick

I assume that you use POI Loader to upload your speedcam data?

There's an option to set either feet/miles or metres/kilometres for speed/distance as you use this. Try uploading the data again and check this setting.

poiloader.png

Just try uploading UK and European speed cam data, one is in MPH the other in KPH :blast

Had to convert all the Euro data to warn in miles and left the GPS set as such.

Had this problem for a few months on several different Garmin GPS devices inc. 550 and 660.
All my speed warnings are in mph however at 31 mph i am warned for a 50 mph limit.
At about 44 mph i am warned of a 70 mph limit.
Its as if its somehow converted to kph. But its showing mph.
Never had the problem before.

Can anyone out there help?

Thanks

Nick

It shows the speed limit as loaded on to the Garmin database.
These are not updated as often as you may think. Also, if some well meaning correspondent sends in a "it's a mobile camera site" warning, it may be that they once saw a van scamera there, so that stretch of the road gets added to the database as well, but doesn't come off, so as another example, during temporary roadworks, the council stick a mobile scamera in the contraflow for 3 months, when the road is repaired and the works completed and the camera moved on somewhere else, the Garmin (tom tom as well) database still shows that there is a speed trap on that road.
Quite often mine is misleading (Nuvi in the car) as it shows a 50 limit when in fact its a 30 limit.
The bonging noise keeps me alert though!:D:D

As Bumpkin says, it sounds like you have been uploading the speeds in KPH and not MPH - DAMHIK :blast

big thankyou

I assume that you use POI Loader to upload your speedcam data?

There's an option to set either feet/miles or metres/kilometres for speed/distance as you use this. Try uploading the data again and check this setting.

poiloader.png

Just try uploading UK and European speed cam data, one is in MPH the other in KPH :blast

Had to convert all the Euro data to warn in miles and left the GPS set as such.

yes, thanks everyone for your help..

POI loader was set to KPH.

Reloaded, and i guess its all ok now. :thumb

That didnt work

Set POI loader to mph and reloaded the speed camera data base
Tried it today, still the same.
Perhaps i might have to delete and start again!

The best way to delete POIs is not by using the POI loader (which doesn't seem to work), but to physically delete the POI file from the GPS using Windows Explorer.

Another useful tip is that if you want some POIs in mph and some in kph, for example if you have a file of UK speed cameras and one of European cameras, such as those supplied by PocketGPSWorld, you can load the UK ones using mph and then rename the POI file on the unit to something else (anything you like), and then load the European ones using kph.

I have done this successfully on my Zumo 550.

The best way to delete POIs is not by using the POI loader (which doesn't seem to work), but to physically delete the POI file from the GPS using Windows Explorer.

Another useful tip is that if you want some POIs in mph and some in kph, for example if you have a file of UK speed cameras and one of European cameras, such as those supplied by PocketGPSWorld, you can load the UK ones using mph and then rename the POI file on the unit to something else (anything you like), and then load the European ones using kph.

I came across that tip a while ago and loaded and renamed the files on a Zumo 660 and it worked fine in UK on MPH and then KPH once we got to Europe.

I note that PocketGPSWorld has reduced their subscription for a limited period. If you renew now with their present price then 12 months will just be added to your existing subscription.

POI Loader deletes all existing POIs on my SP2720 as it uploads the new ones. At least I'm pretty sure that it does though I just upload my full POI collection every time. Maybe the Zumo works differently?

POI Loader deletes all existing POIs on my SP2720 as it uploads the new ones. At least I'm pretty sure that it does though I just upload my full POI collection every time. Maybe the Zumo works differently?

Yes, you're right, it will replace existing POIs with the new ones by overwriting the POI file, but if you ask it just to delete the existing ones, it leaves the POI file on the unit. I prefer to be sure they have gone by physically deleting the file.

Another advantage of controlling the POI file names yourself is that you can upload different POI sets individually.

Sorted i think

Thanks for all the input.
Think its at least sorted on my garmin car sat nav.

Just deleteted POI's with the POI loader. Then resent new speed camera info to sat nav.

Good tip above regarding Kph left for Europe.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom