Romania, and THAT highway!!!!!!

norfolkbikerlad

Just back from our yearly two week tour of Europe, very quickly, as I will post more info when i get more time.
We left Hook of Holland and basically travelled to Constanta Romania via Bratislava, Slovakia and Sibiu, Romania. Don't believe all you read about the roads in Romania, generally the roads are good, its the f****ng drivers on them that are bad!!!!!!! Train crossings are like a mini off road excursion, and for anyone wanting to make the journey to Constanta.......don't!!!!! It's like Beiruit, with a Normandy landing type beach, full of stray dogs that shit wherever you walk!!!!!! To say its in a timewarp is an understatement. The beach was, well, well, there was some sand I suppose!!!!! The town itself could do with a hurricane to tidy it up, the best part of the stay at the town for us was the ride out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a sh*t hole!!!!!! :Motomartin

Bit like going to Norfolk and judging the rest of England on that shit hole really:augie:D
If you had asked anyone who knows about Romania you would have known not to bother with anywhere on the coast. Unless you are into bird watching, then the Danube delta is well worth a visit:thumb2
Stick to Transylvania and Marumures and you will see a beautiful country and meet fantastic people.
As to the roads, what do you expect in what, until very recently, was one of Europe's poorest countries:nenau
In my opinion Romanian (and most other Eastern European) roads are what GS's were made for:thumb
May as well be riding a UJM if you just want smooth tarmac:aidan

Loved our visit: It's the most foreign place I've ever been.

We were warned off Constanza though, by a Dutch couple we met who worked there.

:beerjug:

Bit like going to Norfolk and judging the rest of England on that shit hole really:augie:D
If you had asked anyone who knows about Romania you would have known not to bother with anywhere on the coast. Unless you are into bird watching, then the Danube delta is well worth a visit:thumb2
Stick to Transylvania and Marumures and you will see a beautiful country and meet fantastic people.
As to the roads, what do you expect in what, until very recently, was one of Europe's poorest countries:nenau
In my opinion Romanian (and most other Eastern European) roads are what GS's were made for:thumb

+1:thumb:thumb:thumb

Well said... :thumb2

Well said Ian, the opening post was a bit like someone visiting Wales and saying we're all sheep shaggers........we have goats too:thumb

been a few times now, got to agree with a lot of the opening statement,
there are some lovely places though, if you get away from the lorrys,

I couldn't easily avoid Constanta with my chosen route this year but a little bit of research made me realise it wasn't a place to spend much time in (although, having been to Beirut, I can confirm it really isn't like Beirut). South and into Bulgaria are some really lovely places. I agree the roads are variable in Romania but on a GS, they can all be great fun to ride. I really enjoyed my trip and would highly recommend Romania as a destination. Shame if the opening post would put people off. I think the key thing is to be realistic about the mileage you can cover in a day.

+1
I love Romania and Bulgaria and can't wait to go again, in fact I shall be going back in May to explore some more of the Carpathian Mountains. Looking forward to riding the mountain passes again. I wouldn't bother going to the Black Sea coast, it isn't that wonderful, why bother when you've got Sheringham and Cromer on your doorstep.
Rod

Back
Top Bottom