Been offered an '89 Tenere - need help in deciding

Aidjay

Reaction score
Hi all, I need a bit of advice from the parish on what looks like a good deal on an old Tenere.

The bike's for sale by a bloke who lost his license after buying both the Tenere and a Fireblade immediately after gaining his bike license and was promptly caught speeding twice in quick succession (both on the Fireblade obviously).

Anyway, the bike is a Spanish import, the clock still reads in km and is showing just under 27k. Its an 89 model XT600Z 3AJ series I believe. The bike did have some major work done to it were the engine was rebored, but it is not known why - this was done by a previous owner. It currently runs fine and starts without any problems.

Its got some dents in the tank, but otherwise its cosmetically not too bad. It sounds like its been standing for quite a while.

The asking price is £850, but he's open to offers.

Is this a good deal and what sort of questions should I be asking?

Any help would be much appreciated.

This is model before my 91 XTZ660 Tenere. Mine has the 5 valve head.
The one you are looking at is widely regarded as the best of the single Tenere bikes as it has both electric and kick start and has longer travel suspension than mine and is more capable off road.
If the mileage is correct I would snap it up and just haggle him down as much as you can.
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/other-bikes/23329-1988-xt-600-z-tenere-any-good.html

The bike did have some major work done to it were the engine was rebored, but it is not known why - this was done by a previous owner.

Often with these bikes, 3rd gear breaks up and the debris scores the cylinder.
Dave Lambeth rebuilds them using a 3rd gear from another Yamaha model to prevent it re-occuring.

There's a few Spanish imports around and they tend to be in very good condition:)

Buy it - great fun and an iconic 80s trailie - IMO the best of the big single XTs.

+1 to Timolgra's comments, but it's not that common. Plenty of spares around on eBay Germany.

Have a browse around Ingo Löchert's Tenere site

This is mine - an Italian import, just awaiting a decent paintjob :thumb2

483623776_dc6Rq-L.jpg

r/h bearing (main) often spins in the cases writing them off,(iv seen 4 like this) check for end play and knocking,
in my opinion, overweight, underpowered tractor, buy an xr/xl instead

Not 3AJ

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Been doing a little more digging and after further cross examination, my assumption that it was a 3AJ is not correct.

Its actually an 86 model, called a 1VJ. I found this blurb off MCN for the 1VJ models:

"Second generation Tenere single intended to be even closer to rally bikes. Although fuel capacity down to 21 litres, power up to 46bhp thanks to new carbs and air box. Also gets electric starter for first time."

Do you guys think its still worth chasing?

Aidjay

DON'T GET IT!...

...was the response from David Lambeth.:eek:

Called him for his advice and he said its not a good machine at all. He says it will fall apart on me and the rebore that was done will probably make it worse. He says the 3AJ is the better one of that age group, but he also didn't rave about that one either.

He said I should get an XT from 97 onwards and put a bigger tank on it if I want to go on an overland trip, or get a TTR250 if I'm just interested in commuting and for the green lanes.

That's put a dampener on this somewhat.

...was the response from David Lambeth.:eek:

He is one the most qualified to say that and he'll charge £1400 for an engine rebuild on one!

They are a slow and agricultural but it depends what you want it for, I certainly wouldn't entertain one as my only bike.....Henry Mawson may disagree though:augie

He is one the most qualified to say that and he'll charge £1400 for an engine rebuild on one!

They are a slow and agricultural but it depends what you want it for, I certainly wouldn't entertain one as my only bike.....Henry Mawson may disagree though:augie

How did i end up on here? PMSL.
Henry Mawson

On a more serious note. A friend of mine has just had a fifth gear failure on his 1VJ. Lots of sheared gear teeth in the oil when he drained it. I like mine, it's got history for me and i'll have no qualms trying to ride a northern hemisphere rtw on it next year.

Attachments

• DSCF0153 Frosty Frolics IoM Feb 2005.JPG
    DSCF0153 Frosty Frolics IoM Feb 2005.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 188
If it was a 3AJ I'd say go for it but not a 1VJ as they also had overheating problems (although in the picture above that obviously won't be a problem!) I've heard David Lambeth did not rate them at all.

I bought a 55W (the year between the original 34L and the 1VJ) and had a look at the gears at the weekend and they look in great nick so I think I got lucky. Just need to get it registered now (another import).

Back
Top Bottom