98 years ago today ...

Glenboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The first Round The World trip by motorcycle began in 1912 in Dublin. It’s recounted in a book by Greg Frazier (multi RTWer himself) which I’m expecting to pop through the letterbox one of these days. I’ll do a review of it in the Books section when I’ve had a chance to read it.

As far as I can figure out the start date for this epic trip was 21st Oct 1912.

Two guys from USA, Carl Stearns Clancy and Walter Storey had two new Henderson motorcycles shipped to Dublin from the Henderson factory in Detroit. After being uncrated and put together Clancy took Storey, who had never ridden a motorcycle before, up to the Phoenix Pk for some instruction. They had two unsuccessful starts on the 19th and 20th – the first stopped by a “Dublin Bobbie” who made them go back and have number plates made up and fitted to the front mudguards, the second when Storey hit a Dublin tram. They made arrangements to have his bike fixed and headed off again on the 21st, two-up on Clancy’s bike.

They went to Donegal and on around the Northern Irish coast to the Giant’s Causeway, then to Belfast. Clancy returned to Dublin by train where he picked up Storey’s repaired bike and drove back to Belfast from where they got the ferry to Glasgow. On the way south through England Clancy proudly tells of doing 17 miles in a half hour (34 mph) and notes that there were no speed traps to be seen.

The bikes were 1912 Hendersons made in Detroit, with a 934cc 7hp 4 cylinder engine – reportedly the fastest bikes around at the time.

Storey pulled out of the trip but Clancy kept going eventually covering over 18,000 miles, a remarkable feat for the times. It’s amazing to think that almost 100 years later a similar trip is still an adventure and a dream for many of us. Had he any idea what he was starting?

This was an amazing achievement and with the centenary taking place in 2012 I think the occasion should be marked in some way – perhaps a retracing of the Irish part of the journey setting off on 21/10/12 and including an overnight? Any other ideas?

Attachments

• clancy.jpg
    clancy.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 277
  • Henderson-1912.jpg
    Henderson-1912.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 270
Great idea. We should set off on the 19th and again on the 20th though, looking for a tram and the police.

Good on them for being the first and starting what so many only dream of.

Pete

There's a book for the Christmas stocking now!

Sounds like a great idea, should be no problem to drive into a Luas in Dublin and I'm sure we'd find a friendly Garda who'll pull us over for no front plate.:D

Great Idea..... With there being so many international members on here, would there be an possibility of those residing in other countries to track the element of the route taken by these chaps to link up the celebration year.:)

Great Idea..... With there being so many international members on here, would there be an possibility of those residing in other countries to track the element of the route taken by these chaps to link up the celebration year.:)

Great idea :thumb

what a great story. :clap

Thanks for the heads up - apart from anything else, the book is now on my wish list. :)

Fergal that's a fantastic idea:clap:clap

The only thing I think to add to this event is that we should all wear plusfours a tweed jacket and an old flat cap.:aidan

Some from here could organise the accommodation:augie

Llyod could organise commemorative stickers;)

and Trev could come up with an idea for a polo-shirt:D

I vote Og to re-enact the bit teaching the new guy in d'Park!! No sniggering at the back...

One and the same :thumb

Happy days... I am almost certain i've got something on him back in
Ireland, when i was living in Boston, Mass.
this is going back 15 years I got into collecting books
on the theatre, movies and the like mostly 1920's, 30's and 40's all
with an Irish connection (picked up some 1st editions of George Bernard Shaw
there)
anyway once i seen the name it rang a wee bell...
Will check it out when i am back after Christmas.

Does anybody know if he got any press coverage of his trip ???
I have access to the British Llibrary archives at Kings Cross,
I mostly use the India records there, but would love to get more
info on his trip, have ordered the book but until it arrives anybody
got anymore info.
cheers
joe

Back
Top Bottom