Fitting Givi Rack to R1200GS

Vampire

Has anyone else had trouble with the fitment of the Givi topbox rack on the R1200GS? It is not a difficult process, and I would think hard to get wrong, but the rear supports don't line up with the holes in the top plate.
The top plates can only go one way up as the holes have recesses so that the bolts are flush.
The top plates supplied are of a slightly different design to the ones in the instruction set, but that is not all that uncommon.
If I tried bending the rear support arms, I suspect that the thread would then not be straight, and the bolts wouldn't go in.

Attachments

• top mount - left.jpg
    top mount - left.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 869
Sorry - cant help but just wanted to comment on the lovely lighting on that photo. Very well taken :D

yes very artistic (did we throw it off topic already or we need to do more?)

The main light on the pole is a bit bright but its still very well done!! Must get the girlfriend to have a look (she a bit of an photo geek!!)

B
:D

The contrast can probably be adjusted a bit,... :confused:

I think we've all missed the important question;

What camera/lense/etcetcetc... was used?

:D:D:D

Hey common guys....

Vampire has asked a serious question and as I'm expecting to take deliery of my Givi adaptor plate tomorrow I think you should give him all the help you can...:D

Good Luck

AndyT:cool:

I think a higher DPI pic should be in order to reach some conclusion...

BJEast said:
The main light on the pole is a bit bright but its still very well done!! Must get the girlfriend to have a look (she a bit of an photo geek!!)

B
:D
Since you asked, well inferred actually -
Camera: Minolta DiMAGE 7i
Original Image: 1280 x 960 pixels
Colour Depth: 8
Shutter Speed: 1/45
Aperture: F3.5
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Brightness Value: 3.2
Exposure Compensation: 0.0
Lighting: Natural (no flash)
Lens Focal Length: 50.5 mm
35mm Equivalent: 199 mm
White Balance: Auto
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Distance Range: Macro

Ciao,

Is there an answer to this post or what as I'm experiencing the same problem with my rack too

I fitted a Givi rack and V46 topbox last week. Exact same problems you mentioned. I used a drill bit to buff away part of the body work at the back to get the new screws to line up properly, not exactly pleased at having to do this to a 10 grand bike but I know you have to cut a bit to get the Hepco and Becker to fit as well, so rather than return the Givi kit I went ahead and fitted it. Once cut the screws will line up without cross threading although they are tight to put in.
My advice when fitting the plates would be to leave everything loose, then tighten up the main box fixing plate which should then align the bottom fixing plates. Once this is on, tighten up as many of the fixing plate bolts/ screws as you can, remove the box mounting plate again to access the two bolts underneath and tighten them. Thereafter reattach the main box mounting plate and secure.
I know it is a bit of a hassle putting the box plate on and off but it will help to align the bottom mounting plates which I found were out of alignment and putting undue stress on all the fixings.
Once fitted the whole thing is solid.
Hope this helps.

Almost sorry to say that I installed a Givi top plate on a 12gs for a friend and it went right on with no problems. Have no idea what the diff. might be.

I had the same problem with mine. I left everything loose to start with. Seems like we're all finding ways round the problem when what we should be doing is to send them back to Givi as faulty.

Thanks for the replies.

Since making my original post, I went back to the garage with a can to study the brackets. Not 100% convinced of which way round the brackets went due to the mistmatch in bracket design between the picture and the actual things, I swapped the top plates around. They appeared to sit far better but of course by the time I tried to fit the plastic adapter I realised that they were the wrong way round :eek:

So, off they had to come. Unfortunately the screw that went through the top plate and the rear support decided to round itself instead of coming undone. If I undid the rest of the nuts and bolts, I figured I should be able to rotate the top bracket while the rear support was still attached to undo the screw :thumb

As is normally the case, things didn't end there...

You see, the thread at the top of the rear support is brazed in. The other support had some nice brazing around its circumference. The support with the rounded screw must have had its thread glue in with some Pritt Stick as it just span round merrily :spitfire

Didn't fancy getting some mole grips or whatever around it as they would have buggered up the finish so out came the drill to drill the thing out.

Brackets are now back in the box. I'll phone Heine Gerrick on Monday to see what they suggest.

I had a similar problem with mine had two new racks and three base plates no difference, then one day while looking at another GS in a dealers I noticed that frame where the support brackets screw into was a different length on each side only about 5mm or so but enough to throw everything out of line, as the problem with mine was the support leg was short of the hole I just used a spacer problem solved.

Mine went straight on, job done in half hour & unlike the bmw one no cutting the plastic .Fitted it last month :cool:

Marty Hill said:
Almost sorry to say that I installed a Givi top plate on a 12gs for a friend and it went right on with no problems. Have no idea what the diff. might be.

Snap.

Fitted mine a year ago, so they could've changed it a bit? Or it could just be faulty.

Fitted mine about 4 weeks ago without a bit of bother...... once I'd figured out which way around the brackets go. :confused:

I fitted mine a couple of weeks ago. Mine didn't align first attempt ( but it wasn't as far out as in the pic ). I simply slackened everything off a little and it lined up ok.

Have you checked that you have got the two flat bars which bolt to the plastic the right way round?

I was impressed with the two arms because the dealer said the plastic needed cutting away, but the Givi arms are slotted to go around the plastic. Much better than the BMW one. But I quess Givi have a lot more experience than BMW at designing racks.

One thing I could add is that I used to have the adapter place for the BMW topcase fitted for almost a year so have already had the rear bits cut away. Perhaps the rack has been slightly bent during extensive use? I wonder if those who had no trouble fitting had previously the BMW contraption fitted or not? Just a thought.

I didn't have the BMW rack fitted, but I did put it togeather arse about face the first time :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom