Mourne Wall - well who knew?

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1110/1224283020751.html

Pyramid scheme would ramp up North's public works

NEWTON EMERSON

Wed, Nov 10, 2010

NEWTON'S OPTIC: AS STORMONT has refused to take charge of welfare policy, it will have no choice but to implement Tory plans to make the long-term unemployed work for their benefits.

Outdoor relief does of course have a long history in Ireland, from Famine roads to Cork- bound aircraft. However, it will be difficult to occupy idle hands in Northern Ireland today.

The Tories suggest picking up litter but we have already forced Southern councils to take their rubbish back. The Tories also suggest gardening as a punitive form of labour, apparently unaware that Protestants think gardening is the ultimate form of leisure.

All the other demeaning tasks in Northern Ireland are already performed by cheerful Brazilians at wages even the dole won’t undercut. That just leaves made-up jobs in pointless public work schemes.

This has its own unique history north of the Border. During the Great Depression, a vast army of unemployed men was drafted to build an enormous dry-stone wall around the Mournes, for no better reason than to stop sheep peeing in Belfast’s reservoirs. Yet the Mourne Wall has since become a major tourist attraction, complementing Northern Ireland’s diverse range of other wall-based tourist attractions. What can we learn from this fascinating case?

It would seem that a successful “workfare” programme can be based on jobs that nobody else would do or even consider necessary, as long as it leaves behind an enormous stone structure capable of impressing future generations.

One obvious candidate would be completing the long-delayed Giant’s Causeway. A far higher wall around Derry might also be appreciated by the rest of the world.

However, the skills required for this type of work can no longer be found among the long- term unemployed, who have sadly degenerated to a state of almost complete uselessness. Even building the Mourne Wall involved balancing stones carefully on top of each other, which is beyond the ability of most modern welfare claimants.

So what is required is an enormous stone structure that can never fall over, no matter how carelessly it is assembled. The only shape to fulfil this requirement is a pyramid.

With 20,000 long-term unemployed across Northern Ireland a truly great pyramid could be constructed, presumably in Toome.

Similar projects have been highly successful in Egypt, although debate still rages over whether they involved “slave labour”.

Some experts believe that while Egyptian pyramid builders were conscripted they were also fed, housed and paid an allowance. However, as an angry papyrus pointed out at the time, “Sun Cat Vulture Foot”.

A more pressing issue in Northern Ireland would be the need to have four sides, which is two more than Stormont is used to. Pyramids must also eventually come to a point, which Stormont is not used to either.

Most of the practical problems in building a pyramid are managed using an earthen ramp. This will have to be outsourced to the private sector as it means calculating angles using a piece of string and a stick.

However, it will allow everyone to say the project is “ramping up”, which Stormont is very used to indeed.

Once the pyramid is under way we can move on to Tory plans to force young people off housing benefit – or mummification, as I believe it is likely to be called.

© 2010 The Irish Times

Thanks Bin,
I was unaware of the origins of the Mourne Wall.
I wait with baited breath for the Pyramid to be built:augie

Mourne wall makes for a good challenging day hike...
I'm sure Boirche has done it in under 10 hrs :thumb

Yeah its a great day out...
there is a very good wee map with all the mountains
and tracks on it, can remember publisher... but its very detailed
Great way to clear the head, done it a few times when i was going
through me mountaineering period, used to bring a fully loaded rucksack
with tent, stove the hold heap...loved it

So, who did the Maam Turks walk?

I did many times - once in just under 6 hours & I'm still proud of that. Another year I cycled up from Tralee to Leenaun on the Fri; did the turks on Sat (in about 7 hours) & Meelrea on the Sun. I chickened out on the Mon & took a drive home, The turks are a long walk & navigation is tricky in one or two spots.
Youth was great or so I seem to remember.

TAG

I had resolved never to cycle with you; I extend that never to go on the hill with you!

My best time was 9 hours & worst 14 hours, the latter virtually no visibility, driving icy rain/hail + gale gusts. MR was kept goin' that day.

I had resolved never to cycle with you; I extend that never to go on the hill with you! ........................................................

Hi PJ
I'm slowing down & am shortly to join the ranks of the retired. The tax payer (or Civil) can't afford to keep me @ work! The pension that some say I never paid for beckons.
I'll be available for company on gentle trips in Connemara or conversly if you wish to explore the Kingdom?.

THE GREAT ESCAPE FROM THE OPEN PRISON

Great news; after your escape, you'll wonder why you didn't tunnel out earlier.

I have the Disco rigged to sleep one.

I should dig out the walking gear from underneath the cobwebs.

[This has its own unique history north of the Border. During the Great Depression, a vast army of unemployed men was drafted to build an enormous dry-stone wall around the Mournes, for no better reason than to stop sheep peeing in Belfast’s reservoirs.

Vast army? Check your facts.

A good few men worked on building the dam for the Silent Valley reservoir.

It was called the Silent Valley because it was closed to motorbikes? True or False

[This has its own unique history north of the Border. During the Great Depression, a vast army of unemployed men was drafted to build an enormous dry-stone wall around the Mournes, for no better reason than to stop sheep peeing in Belfast’s reservoirs.

Vast army? Check your facts.

A good few men worked on building the dam for the Silent Valley reservoir.

It was called the Silent Valley because it was closed to motorbikes? True or False

2,000 may not be a vast army but it's more than a few. 8 died during their efforts.

The first thing they built was a big toilet!

sv_today.jpg

I ran the Mourne Way Ultra marathon a few weeks ago. 52 miles in stunning countryside. My first trip to NI, and will certainly be back.

I worked repairing it when i was a lad in my twenties as a guy beside me had the repair contract , Mostly farmers who could not be bothered going to the nearest gap would make a new one of their own when geathering their sheep off the mountain, Carrying a facing hammer & a crowbar for miles uphill before you started a day's work was character building for a young man :eek, Yes that was what it was built for but every now a then just for posterity's sake i piss in the 'Shafties' (Belfast residents) drinking water. :aidan

In the construction of the Dam my great uncle Micheal Synnott was one of the unfortunates to lose his life while driving a steam shovel excavating on a peat bank when it overturned... There was a shanty town built there to house the hundreds of workers with its own hospital & decompression chamber.... its worth a visit on the bike to see the history on display & a very good on site café with fantastic gluten free homemade soup & wheaten bread, There is a small entrance charge of which i not quite sure how much, The Silent Valley so to speak supposedly got its name from the time of construction with all the work & blasting it was devoid of wildlife.

Just one step and then other

found this, think that it's from 1980, well wrecked when I finished.
"... a distance of 22 miles approx. in which upwards of 10,000 feet are climbed .."

Attachments

• wallwalk.jpg
    wallwalk.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 114
found this, think that it's from 1980, well wrecked when I finished.
"... a distance of 22 miles approx. in which upwards of 10,000 feet are climbed .."

Did that myself on one of the last years it was officially held. Stopped because of erosion.

This plaque is on a wall up at Silent Valley naming the Water Commissioners who decided they needed the giant sheep piss barrier... one of whom was my great grandfather :D ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376509235.354466.jpg

Back
Top Bottom